3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Head shots on turkeys?  (Read 441 times)

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Head shots on turkeys?
« on: August 20, 2009, 10:45:00 PM »
At a recent shoot, I took a couple head shots at turkey targets and found it kind of easy to pick a spot and hit vs finding a spot on a black body. I was wondering if anyone likes to take head shots and what has TRULY worked for you. I am semi-interested in the Magnus and other large bladed head, but am open to trying other things like a ?snaro? with the smaller diameter wires which are more rigid. Also, any home-made turkey head takers out there?

thanks for your input!

Matt

Offline Old York

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Head shots on turkeys?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009, 10:50:00 PM »
Sorry Matt but the Snaro idea for turkeys just ain't gonna work...you'll have a wounded bird  :(  . I'd go with a good sharp broadhead to the body or else a Magnus Bullhead on the head/neck shot.
"We were arguing about brace-height tuning and then a fistmele broke out"

Offline Oregon Okie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2009, 11:04:00 PM »
Took one with the bullhead this spring. Definitely did the job.
"Don't believe everything you think" - bumper sticker

"Savage Blaster" - 50@31 - 63" (recurve I made with Steve Savage)
Firefly TD longbow - 50@31 - 63"
7 Lakes double shelf from a blank - 45@31 - 66"
Trident ILF w Blackmax carbons - 42@31

Offline Doug S

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2009, 07:06:00 AM »
Have a friend who took one with a blunt. About 8 yards I think. Killed it instant. Legal in the state he was hunting.
The hunt is the trophy!

Offline Jim Keller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2009, 07:33:00 AM »
A buddy of mine uses gobbler guillitines. This lops of there heads. Very effective, but to me it's not right. I'm a taxidermist who loves to mount turkeys and this makes them unusable. But I goota say you either kill 'em or miss 'em.
Jim

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2009, 07:35:00 AM »
Matt, check into it but I think broadheads must me used in Michigan for turkeys.
Dreams can not be bought; they are free to those who have lived. -Mike Mitten

We must go beyond the textbooks, go out into the untrodden depths of the wilderness & travel & explore & tell the world the glories of our journey

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2009, 07:49:00 AM »
It's a small target that can move pretty quickly. i have used 160 Snuffers and had great success. Ed
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline Canyon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2009, 10:53:00 PM »
I like the Bullhead idea in practice. I sure wish they came in a glue on for my woodies.
A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight;nothing he cares about more than his own personal safety;is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free,unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

Offline bushytail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2009, 06:53:00 AM »
Most of the time the turkeys head is moving around.Makes a tuff target to hit.A snuffer in the body will put it down fast.
Harold Wetzler

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2009, 10:32:00 AM »
You have on one hand, guys who are happy with pie plate groups at twenty yards,  talking about hitting a turkey in the head; a head that is in constant motion.  Here's why I don't like that: Even the Gobbler Guillotine, and other such head, is turning with the arrow as it flies; what happens if it is vertical and just a bit off line(?).  You can take the beak right off a turkey, or damage it without killing it.  The luck ratio isn't with you on where that head will be as the arrow arrives, probably 50/50 at best.  To me that is taking a chance that isn't acceptable.  It's the turkey that realizes the consequences, not us, so that is too chancy for my liking.  I'll take a broadhead to the chest cavity.

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2009, 03:25:00 PM »
thanks for the input, good point on the law requiring broadheads! Any more experience w/ broadheads vs the head shot w/ the guillitines or bullheads? I got your point Gerorge, something to definately consider.

I will say that I am not seeing a lot of head movement w/ the turkeys coming to decoys. Usually they are very still and just intently looking or posturing. I watched for all of that this past spring, and is why I considered using the head, or actually neck shot.

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2009, 05:51:00 PM »
It all depends on your proficiency with the bow.

Do you shoot tight groups out to 15-20 yds?

Are you hunting from a blind or set up in a natural setting?

I prefer to use large Snuffers and aim for the larger body than attempt a head shot. I know the promo videos for the Guillotine heads show all clean kills but you don't see the bad hits and the results.

Whatever you feel comfortable with...
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline House

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2009, 05:56:00 PM »
I'm firmly in the big sharp broadhead in the chest cavity camp!
"Dad I think maybe sometimes you think too much" after an errant shot stump shooting with Cameron, my 5 year old son.

TGMM Family of the Bow
MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2009, 07:04:00 PM »
Yeah, I am leaning for the snuffers like I used last year. I will likely just stick with them. The problem with body shots are the ones that don't hit the very small vital area. I have seen pass-thru shots on the body and the bird was still alive the next day. I have killed 2 with a bow, but just can't help consider the usefulness of shooting the head.

Has anyone had, or seen first hand, one of the large blade head shot broadheads not do an adequate job?

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2009, 09:18:00 PM »
I turkey hunted with a mathews two years ago and never conected, missed six times! I am definetley a better shot now days with a recurve or longbow (odd I guess, but two toally different styles) anyway I am setting up my outfit for the fall turkey season this year. I shoot a 125 grain head usually but am going to use a 100 grain head, a five grain washer, and the 20 grain zwickey scorpios. the scopios are kinda like the judo points but slide up and down the shaft as to prevent a pass through, I figure if I don't get one in the pump station at least it ought to be close and with that broadhead stuck in the chest all tat floppin around ought to do some damge and end the show.
Just my thoughts, Kris
P.S. you can check out the scorpios at three rivers, thats were I got mine.
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder

Offline mrpenguin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2009, 09:59:00 PM »
Turkey hunting is hard work... but awesome.  I spent my first morning in a blind this past Spring.  Had a nice gobbler coming until a shot-gunner took him first... welcome to hunting public land.  Anyway, I thought about the guillotine, but head shots seem way too risky for me.  Birds are all fast-twitch muscle and those heads bob faster than any arrow (even from a wheel bow) could every go.  I think you should stick with a chest shot, right where the wing joint is.  Break the wing, and the bird won't be able to fly away so well, plus it will expire very quickly with a heart/lung shot.  Just as fast as a head shot.  I plan to use the Eclipse single bevel bh's this season.  I really think Eclipse is  a great bh.  You may also want to check out G5 Montecs.  I like these too. 3 blades, spin tuned to .002, and made/molded from a single piece of steel!  Just my 2 cents...
God Bless,
Erik
_ _ _ _  _  
Crow Creek Black Feather Recurve 49@28
Browning Wasp 50@28

"And we know for those who love God all things work together for good"-Romans 8:28

"It's so hard to stop being a man and start being a wolf" - G. Fred Asbell

Offline Clint B.

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2009, 10:37:00 PM »
I believe the late great Ben Rogers Lee said he tried for head shots on turkeys with his compound bow. I think he used broadhead tipped arrows.

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2009, 11:35:00 PM »
Eric I am gonna go with the G5's and the scorpio I mentioned. I think it will be a turkey stoppin combo!
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder

Offline crandog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2009, 11:58:00 PM »
The guiottine,(if I spelled that right) and the Magnus bullhead have four blades so I don't think you could shoot one and just wound a bird, if it was close.  I think the issue would be if a stickbow generates the wallop needed for those 90 degree blades to cut or break necks.  If they made one with angled blades maybe?

Offline Scarne

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2009, 01:15:00 AM »
I killed a turkey once by shooting his head off.  Basically I missed the bird and got lucky...an inch left or right and it would have been a miss!
"A man is best judged by what he does when nobody else is watching."

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©