3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Head shots on turkeys?  (Read 440 times)

Offline NorthernCaliforniaHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Head shots on turkeys?
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2009, 01:52:00 AM »
Funny, I thought the rule of thumb was hit them in the hips. A turkey that can't run won't get airborne. And if he can't run, he won't go anywhere either. A flopping mass that's easily taken out with a twist to the neck.

What are your thoughts? I intend on taking my first trad turkey this fall and have been practicing the hip shot on my foam target...
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, it's melancholy, and its charm." Theodore Roosevelt

Find me at ShareTheBounty

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2009, 09:18:00 AM »
Crandog, plenty of wallop, but I wouldn't use them for other reasons. Smacks of gimmickry.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2009, 10:19:00 AM »
crandog,  think a little bit about that.  That arrow is turning; four blades do not guarantee that even two of them will hit.  It's like the lottery.  How is the head aligned when it hits the bird....providing you can even hit the bird in the head or neck.  Now....look at those heads again, there is much more space between the blades than on the blades.  Common sense will tell you that it is just a easy to wound a bird with those heads, as kill one.  I don't like those odds when an animals life is on the line.

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2009, 12:40:00 PM »
I agree with George! I'll stick with the chest, anyway I seen a dvd with them shooting the bladed heads and it was kind of bruttal and disrespectfull to the bird if you ask me!! just my 2 cents! Jason

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2009, 01:01:00 PM »
all this talk about shot placement...
why would you want to hip shoot a turkey? It is our sole resposibility to make every attempt at a clean kill to harvest any game we pursue. Grant it their are alot of variables to contend with and that is part of it. A head shot on a turkey to me would likely seem quick and painless for the quarry at hand but you are also going from a kill zone in the chest cavity the size of a softball to a killzone the size of a banana. To much margin for error with whole head bobbin thing for me. I will stick with going for the pump station in any case and a good sharp head to do the job.
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2009, 12:07:00 AM »
thanks for the information and your thoughts, everyone.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©