3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wensel Woodsman/ What is the Verdict?  (Read 992 times)

Offline PastorSteveHill

• Trad Bowhunter
Wensel Woodsman/ What is the Verdict?
« on: July 26, 2009, 05:14:00 PM »
Wondering what the verdict is on the new WW elite broadheads?  I have read the post, some don't like because they whistle.  

How true do they spin?

How hard are they to sharpen/ as opposed to the original woodsmans?  Some thought they were hard to sharpen also...  

Thank you in advance...
Blessings,
Steve

Offline flyfish1

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wensel Woodsman/ What is the Verdict?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2009, 08:00:00 PM »
I think they are made well but havent shot them yet. They are smaller than I like and will stick with snuffers or at times the originals. Like lazer ray said ,the originals are fine for me.
Ron A        

"When the buffalo are gone, we will hunt mice,for we are hunters and we want our freedom"
         ~Sitting Bull

Offline PastorSteveHill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2009, 08:44:00 PM »
Looking to shoot a 3 blade 150 gr. head.. these seem to fit the bill. Plus they should be tuff, no? Being made of a single piece of steel, that sounds good to me...
Blessings,
Steve

Offline SteveMcD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2009, 08:45:00 PM »
I haven't yet finished my arrows yet. But the "Elite" is one cool Broadhaed. As stated on the package,   :thumbsup:  they come "factory" sharp, but with some additional sharpening and honing. They are easy to sharpen. I think the size and one piece construction make for one nasty broadhead. I can hardly wait to test them out and hunt with them. So far, I am impressed.   :thumbsup:
Someday you and I will take the Great Hart by our own skill alone, and with an arrow. And then the Little Gods of the Woods will chuckle and rub their hands and say, "Look, Brothers. An Archer! The Old Times are not altogether gone!"

Offline fountain

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2009, 09:30:00 PM »
i have seen a lot of them pop up for sale for them to be so new and so great--they got me wondering.

Offline PastorSteveHill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2009, 09:49:00 PM »
last two post... Good points on each side... Anybody use them yet?
Blessings,
Steve

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2009, 09:58:00 PM »
I have been testing some, the screw in version, and I am mighty impressed.  Mine do hiss loudly, which bothers some people, others could care less but it is the ONLY potential draw back on them I can find.  Super strong, very high quality and excellent grind, fly laser straight man do they get sharp.

I'll be messing with some glue ons next, I believe they are worth checking out.  I'm curious to see if the differences in the ferrules has any bearing on the hissing.  I also want to further experiment and determine if arrow set up has any effect on noise.
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Offline PastorSteveHill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2009, 10:43:00 PM »
Slowbow, please post your results.  Thanks

Steve
Blessings,
Steve

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2009, 10:45:00 PM »
In my opinion, it is the best 3 blade head you can get.  I have not seen the elite in person, but I bet it is good.  I had a couple of batches of the old ones recently that were not so good, and could have sent them back to 3 rivers but chose not to.  3 rivers has always been very good to me. And when you are changing things, a few errors are bound to happen.  I'm sure they will prove to be an excellent head.

Offline arrow flynn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2009, 01:45:00 AM »
arn,t they just a longer version of a snuffer/
Arrow_Flynn

Online Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2009, 03:16:00 AM »
Nope

Offline vtmtnman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2009, 05:08:00 AM »
I find it hard to believe the old ones didn't whistle.I've shot a few vented BH's to try them out and they all whistled.Whistling is the nature of the beast.Just have to live with it.
>>>>--TGMM family of the bow--->

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2009, 06:32:00 AM »
I got a WWE off Uncle Barry in Que'bec this spring and I did not get it to shoot.I wanted to check how well there made ??? Machined from a solid block with no welds or weak links.I gotta tell you guy's that one heck of a strong broadhead.
If you shoot a broadhead with vent holes and your arrow is spining I believe those two factors could cause a whistling sound with any broadhead.bd  

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2009, 06:33:00 AM »
None of mine, old or new, have ever whistled.
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2009, 07:46:00 AM »
I was excited when it came out untill I saw they had downsized it.Just too small for my needs now.I always considered the original a small head.
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline DanDaMan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2009, 07:58:00 AM »
I myself love them.  They will be on my arrows for elk, deer, and speed goats.  I have not seen any noise when I have shot them.  They fly like darts.  Look to be as tough as nails.  There is absolutely no weak spots on the head.  I am able to get them spooky sharp in a short time and with little effort.  As far as the size, yes they are just a tad shorter than the original, but I really dont think that will be an issue.  It is still long and I feel that it will not be hampered at all at being .4 of an inch shorter than the original.  
Dan
Horne Mountain bow 60in 57@29
Horne Combo Hunter Longbow 64in 59@28
Dryad Orion Longbow  60in 60@28
Hoots 54in 48@28

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2009, 09:50:00 AM »
Now if they will just make a glue-on heavier than 125...
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline Jason Jelinek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2009, 10:08:00 AM »
Don, you can use the Woody weights to bump up the weight of the 125 glue-ons.  They (woody weights) fit tight and seem very strong.

Offline martin guy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2009, 02:02:00 PM »
Don,

check out the internal point wt. system from Braveheart or 3Rivers, adds wt. and strength.
Ben Klenig has just done a review on it, should be on the main page of Pow Wow.

Andy

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2009, 04:08:00 PM »
Thanks guys, but I'm a firm believer in Murphy's Law, and I only want a straight glue-on. Until they make them heavier, I'll stick with my Snuffers. The attractive thing to me about the WW's is the better length/width ratio than the Snuffers, but I'm not willing to give up the weight, or use adapters to get where I already am with the Snuffers. My FOC with the 160's on my barreled shafts is about 17%, which is plenty enough to suit me.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©