3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bow Coming!! Need arrow help-  (Read 186 times)

Offline VAFarmer

• Trad Bowhunter
Bow Coming!! Need arrow help-
« on: August 21, 2009, 09:31:00 AM »
Am sending out payment this evening to Stickpig for a Bear SuperMag 48.  

This one is supposed to be hitting 40-45 lbs around my draw length.  
Know that I should be getting 400-500 gr total weight with this bow.
I build my own arrows for the compound.
I will be shooting off the shelf.
I use a right helical, 3 vane setup.

Can I use carbon with this bow?

I know I will need to use feathers instead of vanes. Will rh still work, should I change configuration, or will 3 feather still suffice?

IMO, slower and heavier is better (to a certain point) for hunting meduim to large game, so I may try to get closer to 500 than 400gr.

Any way, I'd love to hear from anyone shooting the same draw weight (low 40's and 28-29 draw) on what kind of setup you are shooting ESPECIALLY if you are shooting carbon.

God bless you all,

Farmer

Offline Coop

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bow Coming!! Need arrow help-
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2009, 09:49:00 AM »
I am shooting a Dry Ridge 56" 45#@28" T/D recurve. My finished arrows are only 424 grns giving me 9.2 gpp. Lighter than I like but they are flying great. I am shooting Goldtip Traditional's 35/55 cut 29".

If you want to shoot off the shelf, you'll want to use feathers for sure. I shoot 3 5" RW feathers and they fly great with field tips or broadhead's. You'll want to open the knocks up some, because normally they are too tight and can affect arrow flight.
"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do"

-Mike

Offline frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2009, 11:04:00 AM »
Hello Robert! What is your draw length? Is this your first trad bow? I'm not a carbon shooter, but if you do shoot aluminum, I would try some 2016. They're a little stiff for the 40lbs, but that bow is center shot and will handle a varying spine range.

The reasons for the questions is , just like starting with a light weight for your first bow, I also like seeing a longer length bow  to start with. You probably shoot your compound with a release? That short 48 mag is tough for some to shoot without finger pinch. Not trying to discourage, just want you to enjoy this great sport. Ask alot of questions and have a great time! Good shootin, Steve

Offline Running Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2009, 11:28:00 AM »
I shoot goldtips for everything. I would start out with some 35/55's leave them full length and put 125 grain on them. Bare shaft shoot and play with the length and point weight till you find the right combo that gives you a dead straight arrow at say 15 yards. If you are new to this, go to A&H Archery's web site and look for thier tuning forum. This will help out a lot.

Offline twotimer

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2009, 12:24:00 PM »
robert,rw feathers,any way you want to fletch will work,3 fletch is also all you will need,i would use 5" as opposed to 4" starting out,the goldtips are a great starting carbon arrow to play with,the barral tapered arrow dynamic trad lights are also great carbons for trad.bows.at 28" they spine at 35/55 but will get you closer to a total weight off 500 gr.than the goldtip.btw,i have always shot alum.but i just got a new black swan,60"42#@28" and i'm shooting the arrow dynamics,and gold tip 35/55s out of it now.the trad.lights cut 29",gts,cut 28 1/2 with 025 gr.tips.good luck,robert  :wavey:    :campfire:    :coffee:
'TGMM FAMILY of THE BOW"at 211 degrees water is hot.at 212 it boils and cause's steam,which can run a locomotive.is it worth that one extra ounce of effort to finish first,the difference between good and great?

Offline Paul Mattson

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2009, 12:29:00 PM »
Gold Tip 35/55, CX Heritage 150's, Arrow Dynamic Trad Lites will work for you.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©