3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: question about fletches  (Read 311 times)

Offline ductape

• Trad Bowhunter
question about fletches
« on: August 21, 2009, 08:58:00 PM »
I'm puting together some new arrows for this comming sept season opener. I am going with tappered wooden shafts 125 grn single bevel Zwickeys  up font and using left wing turkey feathers off of one I got in the spring. I am cutting my fletches down to 2.5 inches figuring that it would keep my arrows quieter. Has anyone done this? and what did you think? any input would be great.

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: question about fletches
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2009, 09:40:00 PM »
My guess is they will be too short and you will have stabalization issues. Only one way to know for sure make up one and try it before you put all that time in.
hunt it

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2009, 09:51:00 PM »
5" feathers or 4" 4 fletch.....all in full helical.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline Bill Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2009, 11:22:00 PM »
Look up OL Adcocks' thread about a "turbulator" with small fletches.  He says that size fletch will work with a broadhead if it is done correctly.  Bill

Offline donw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2009, 11:35:00 PM »
i'm in the 5" bracket...
i was told by a sales person, when purchasing an out-of-date newpaper that it was out-of-date...

i told her "i've been told i'm out-of-date, too"...

does that mean i'm up-to-date?

Offline short slugger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2009, 04:15:00 PM »
I use 2.5 to 3 inch low profile turkey, shield cut...and only 2-fletch. But I use alum. Paper tuned with this set-up has given me 6-8fps chronoed faster over 5 inch 3-fletch. Right helical...shoot great for me.
Tony!

Offline Deadbolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2009, 05:01:00 PM »
I shoot 4x3" and i get fine arrow flight.

Offline wapiti

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2009, 04:13:00 AM »
5" low profile parabolic with medium helical.   The quietestst of the fletch cuts good arrow stabilizing with the helical. Be sure and keep the rear of the fleater even at the rear of the arrow for quietest flight.
“Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock.”-Will Rogers

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2009, 09:12:00 AM »
Quietness comes from height, not length. Keep them long and low, and they will be quiet and stabilize your arrow much better. When hunting you can't always be sure of perfect form and release, and that's when the extra feather can save the shot.

My cutting block makes 5" shields, and they come out too high and noisy. I trim them lower with scissors, and they become silent.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline ductape

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2009, 10:14:00 PM »
I did a little playing around with my arras today. Short fletches were a little louder than my parabolics and didn't stay as consistant. I will stick to the parabolics for now, I thought that making my own fletches would be fun. I will have to get a few more turkeys for a full dozen  :bigsmyl:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©