3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Your thought on carbon arrows?  (Read 945 times)

Offline capt eddie

• Trad Bowhunter
Your thought on carbon arrows?
« on: August 21, 2009, 10:24:00 PM »
I have thought about switching from POC arrows to carbon.  I want to stick with either Grizzlystik or AD Hammerhead.  What are the advantages and disadvantages of each. I am looking for the consistance that I can not get from POC. I shoot 60LB Treestick, 69LB longbow, 74LB Hatfield.  So that means I have three differant spine POC to deal with.  Can I get one spine carbon to shoot out of all three bows.  I can add weight to the heads to get the right results.
capt eddie

Offline fatman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Your thought on carbon arrows?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2009, 10:57:00 PM »
I think you'll do great with the Hammerheads.

I shoot Trad Lites out of bows from 45# to 65#, and oint weight from 225 to 350gr.  IMO, the AD shafts are the most forgiving out there

Good Luck  :thumbsup:
"Better to have that thing and not need it, than to need it and not have it"
Woodrow F. Call

Commitment is like bacon & eggs; the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed....

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2009, 02:10:00 AM »
I was a die hard cedar fan and thought I'd never give them up. Then a friend of mine set me up with CX heritage 150's and some 200 grain points. I'm ruined!!!  :biglaugh:   If I do miss, it's high or low and almost never right or left.
Just one more step please!

Some dude with a stick and string chasing things.

Offline Rick P

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2009, 03:01:00 AM »
I love the AD Hammerheads! In my own experiments the Hammer head out penetrated a gold tip 5575 by at least 40% in pork shoulder, foam and a rack of freezer burned buffalo ribs I had. They fly like a dart out of everything from my 40 pound 1963 Pearson colt to a 90 pound English long bow.(not my bow)

The grizzly sticks were less forgiving, stiff for stated spine and IMO but ugly.(they look like a wheelies favorite arrow)I also think a arrow of that cost should last more than a year. However I am very impressed with Alaska Bowhunting Supplies new line of broadheads.
Just this Alaskan's opinion

Offline bushytail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2009, 06:32:00 AM »
I like the Herritage arrows.They`ll last and they`re tuff.They also fool the compounders thinking they`re cedar arrows.
Harold Wetzler

Offline Featherbuster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2009, 06:44:00 AM »
I shoot the hammerheads....and will probably never shoot a different shaft.  Love those Hammerheads.  I have shot everything from a 100 grain head up to 250 grain and al shoot like darts.
We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. - Tribe Unknown

Southern Traditional Archery

Offline wapitimike1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2009, 07:16:00 AM »
Griz sticks are hard to tune if you ask me. I like the thinnys AXIS or MFX. They blow through game. Bottom line is you can't beat carbon for pure power.

Offline Lindsay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2009, 08:08:00 AM »
Easton ST Epics seem to work for me, good solid shaft and not over priced.

Offline twotimer

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2009, 08:30:00 AM »
the arrow dynimic hammerheads,as stated above should be able to be tuned to shoot out of all your bow,i have shot them out of bows down to 35#s with good flight.regards,robert  :thumbsup:    :campfire:    :coffee:
'TGMM FAMILY of THE BOW"at 211 degrees water is hot.at 212 it boils and cause's steam,which can run a locomotive.is it worth that one extra ounce of effort to finish first,the difference between good and great?

Offline capt eddie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2009, 10:34:00 AM »
Do you buy the Hammerhead off thier web site?  I did not see them listed.  I saw the Hammerheads listed at Three Rivers, shafts only not finished. All I need is the shafts.
capt eddie

Offline frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2009, 10:50:00 AM »
Ted at Raptor has them. He is a sponsor here
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2009, 11:17:00 AM »
I just got back from Kauai. This is the first time using my new Hammerheads. All I can say is.... I'll never use any thing else. One arrow stood up to an awful lot of lava rock. The same arrow did a great job on a goat. I'm sold.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline stickbow2442

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2009, 01:06:00 PM »
Originally posted by Arwin:
I was a die hard cedar fan and thought I'd never give them up. Then a friend of mine set me up with CX heritage 150's and some 200 grain points. I'm ruined!!!   :biglaugh:    If I do miss, it's high or low and almost never right or left.
Thats funny, I was a die hard carbon fan and tried wood arrows. Now I will never go back to carbons...lol.
Robert
Michigan Longbow Association
----------------------------

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2009, 01:38:00 PM »
I shoot a lot of arrows every day and i just like the way cabon arrows hold up. Oh yea they shoot great also.
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2009, 02:06:00 PM »
Paul at Badger Arrows, a sponsor here also, has AD Hammerheads. Quick shipment and a good guy to deal with also. Love my Hammerhead TradLites.
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2009, 02:29:00 PM »
I took some newly received 'carbonwood vapor V-Maxx' carbon arrows (5000) ( thanks Orton !).

I put a zwickey  on one; and field points on two others.

I shot one of the field points at a pop can at 25 yards and tapped it. Second arrow hit an inch from the first; the zwickey  killed the can.

Whats that tell you?

I love wood arrows; but I have had problems with them - to the point I am using these carbons; or some 2216s this year.
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline p1choco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2009, 03:11:00 PM »
Capt Eddie.  Of the two arrows you want to use, I would recommend the Hammerheads.  As stated before the Hammerheads are more forgiving.  With most parallel shafts like some of the others mentioned, you can get away with using one spine, but would need to vary point weight and maybe the shaft length as well to accommodate your individual bows.  With the tapered Hammerheads, once you get your length, just play with the point weight.
Patriotism is easy to understand in America; it means looking out for yourself by looking out for your country.

- Calvin Coolidge

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2009, 04:12:00 PM »
I agree with the recommendation of Paul at Badger Arrows as well as the AD Hammerheads or Hammerhead Lites. The Grizzly Sticks are good shafts, and I have some of them, but all the AD shafts are great. For your poundage of bows, I would go with the Hammerhead shafts, not the Lites, although the Lites would also work great for most anything you would want to shoot. If you really want your arrows to be nearly bullet proof, use brass inserts and aluminum collars up front as well as uni-bushings and g-nocks at the rear. You will be amazed at how well the arrows fly and how sturdy they are under abuse!

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2009, 05:23:00 PM »
I'm shooting carbons at the moment and am flirting with going back to wood.  For the cost, I expect these things to last longer than they seem to last.  

At least when a wood arrow breaks, you kind of expect that and it's not like you've spent a fortune on it.  From 3Rivers, I can get a dozen POC shafts for about the price of one of the carbon arrows I'm currently shooting (a bit apples and oranges, I realize).

I dunno - thinking about it.

Online David McLendon

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2009, 05:37:00 PM »
Carbon arrows are ugly and just don't appeal to me like a good set of footed wood arrows. That said, they are always straight, quick to build, easy to tune, each arrow will weigh the same, fly straight if properly tuned and penetrate well due to the small shaft diameter compared to wood. They shoot well and hold up. When the feathers wear out just peel the wrap and feathers off and go again, fletch tape makes a quick job of it.
Lefties are the only ones who hold the bow in the right hand.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©