3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: my bow seems loud!!!! UPDATE...  (Read 532 times)

Offline Gaff

• Trad Bowhunter
my bow seems loud!!!! UPDATE...
« on: August 22, 2009, 11:03:00 AM »
i dont know if im ust used to how quite my lb was, but my new recurve seems ALOT louder than i would like.     :confused:      dont get me wrong i really like the bow, its fast and no hand shock. if i can quote it down it would be the perfect bow. im just new to tuning bows, so my experience is limited. ive adjusted the brace height both ways and it doesnt seem to help.     :confused:    
i have the sims leeches on and thats not workin! i also tried beaver balls and they were terrible!!     :mad:    
i added some felt material to the grooves and that didnt help either... HELP>>>>     :banghead:    

im thinkin about the bow hush and hush puppies..
are they really as good as people say they are???

ps. i know i sound desperate. thats because i am!
but im sure you all can help me!

GAFF       :pray:
----------------->>>>>>>
Jamie

Offline acadian archer

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: my bow seems loud!!!! UPDATE...
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2009, 11:32:00 AM »
I use the musk ox silencer from 3Rivers an calf skin in the string grove. SILENCE.

It sounds like you may be using too light an arrow??
44# Chek mate Hunter II

"shoot what you like, like what you shoot"

Offline heydeerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2009, 11:34:00 AM »
Gaff,

I would start by calling the bowyer and talking with him. He is the expert on his bows and nobody can give you better advice on his bows than him. I'd bet you might get what you need there.

If you are hearing a "tick" of "clack" when you release then you have a tuning issue and that means you have to move the nock either up or down or you have an arrow that might be too stiff or weak. A lot of guys like to bare shaft test their arrows. I am not a fan but it does make sense. I like to shoot a long distance where I can see my arrow fly. It is hard to do at 20 yards. If you can shoot 50 yards watch the arrow and see if it flies like it is waving at you up and down. This means you have a nock point issue and try moving the nock up or down in small increments till your arrows stop waving. After that if your arrows look to be waving sideways then your arrow is either too sitff or weak. If too stiff you can add weight to the point and if too weak you can add weight to the nock end.

I add weight to the tip with different weight field tips. I have several of each of 125, 145, 150, 175, 200 and 250 grain tips. I usuall end up using either 150 or 250 grain tips on just about everything. To add weight to the nock end of an arrow sometimes the weight of a wrap or double wrap is all you need.

Another thing to check is your arrow rest. After you shoot stick your nose in your bow and smell the rest. If it smells like something is burnt then you have either a nock height or arrow stiffness problem. For some reason your arrow is hitting your rest. You will usually hear a faint "tick"

Another noise factor could also be your glove. I have noticed that untill I get a glove broke in I hear the string coming off my fingers. It can be noisy and deceiving.

Offline Dave Bowers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2009, 11:40:00 AM »
Brace height mike be off?

Offline Doug in MN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2009, 12:18:00 PM »
Bow Hush and Hush Puppies work very well. One thought what is you bow weight and and your arrow weight?

D

Offline Gaff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2009, 12:23:00 PM »
my bow weight is 55# @ 28" and i draw 28".
not sure of the arrow weight. i shoot gt 35/55S cut to 28", 3 5" feathers and 250 up front.

can you figure out the arrow weight from that??

gaff
----------------->>>>>>>
Jamie

Offline GMMAT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2009, 12:28:00 PM »
I can tell you this....

If you add the Bow Hush and Hush Puppies....you'd better get ready to add some weight up front.

NO cut on the product.  It performs as advertised.

Offline Lost Arra

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2009, 12:34:00 PM »
Are the arrow nocks real tight on the string?

Maybe it's my imagination but I think those little snap nocks for carbon arrows can easily be too tight on some strings and cause release/noise/flight issues like heydeerman mentioned. A little folded sandpaper run thru the throat of the nock can open them up just a bit or use a thinner string serving.

Offline Doug in MN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2009, 01:48:00 PM »
I am showing a bow that wants a about a 55# spined arrow with an arrow that is about 46.5# and 511 grains. Google Stu Miller's spine calculator. It is very easy to use; down load as an Excel file. If you do not have MS Excel go to Open Office org and down load that whole program it is free.

There are endless varitions with arrow and bow combos. This is the best tool I have ever seen for getting close from the start.

I would figure out a slightly heavier arrow from the calculator.

DD

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2009, 02:04:00 PM »
There are so many things that can effect how loud or quiet a bow is.I think the first thing to ask is,what draw weight is your bow and then what do your arrows weigh.You should probably have at least 8 grains of arrow weight per pound of draw weight.9 or 10 would be even better.

To light an arrow could even harm your bow.

If that is ok,find out what is the recommended brace height for your bow and then experiment increasing or decreasing it within that recommended range.Try to have the lowest brace height you can get,with the least noise.Changing brace height is done by twisting or untwisting the string.

Sometimes a change of string type can make a huge difference.

It would help if you post your bow type and all specs for your bow and arrows.Bow make,model,draw weight,fast flight string or dacron,arrow type,length,spine,point weight etc..

There are some very knowledgable people here that could tell you if you are close on spine and tune of your arrows and bow.After all those things are close,you can work on silencers etc..

For some time I have been having noise issues and the arrows have been slapping the edge of my shelf.I have been driving myself nuts,adjusting point weight and trying to get the right spine.

A few minutes ago,I decided to experiment with changing my grip on the bow.I took a looser grip up near the throat and the problem dissappeared and the arrow flight straightened right out.

I'm not saying that is your problem but just pointing out that many things can contribute to noise.

Don't dispare though.You came to the right place and that problem can be solved.You just need a little direction for your search for the source of your noise.Give a little more information,be very patient in your trials and always only change one thing at a time.Good luck.

Offline CHAD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2009, 02:27:00 PM »
Graff,
The Bow Hush and Hush Puppies are a great product.I know everyone is differant but i could not shoot my recurves that were 55# and 225gr. up front with a .500(35/55) spine arrow i would think a .400(55/75) would be right with the same point weight.I would check around the rest if the arrows are hitting the rest hard you should see it.I like to set my brace at the high point and nock at 3/4" and work my way down.

Hope it helps:Chad

Offline heydeerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2009, 03:16:00 PM »
Haff,

Your arrows are too weak. You need a 55/75 from Gold tip with the weight up front. Try putting a 125 grain tip on your arrows and see how they fly. See if you notice any tick sounds with the lighter head.

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2009, 03:31:00 PM »
I'm voting for the bowhush and hush puppies as well.....it is more than worth a few dollars.

-Charlie

Offline GMMAT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2009, 03:35:00 PM »
If you put the hush puppies and bow hush on.....you'd be REALLY surprised at how much they stiffen up your dynamic spine.

I was blown away.

Offline heydeerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2009, 08:54:00 PM »
Originally posted by GMMAT:
If you put the hush puppies and bow hush on.....you'd be REALLY surprised at how much they stiffen up your dynamic spine.

I was blown away.
:confused:    :confused:    :confused:

Offline GMMAT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2009, 09:01:00 PM »

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2009, 09:06:00 PM »
Jeff, How many times do you have to say it?

If you think you're losing too much performance, then cut down on the amount of B-Hush and H-puppies......
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline GMMAT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2009, 09:11:00 PM »
Does that offend you, Guru?  If so, I apologize.

I've ALSO said that adding these would be a GREAT chance for folks who want to up their FOC.

That's a big "plus" in many people's eyes.  

The other things I've been constant on is commending their CS....and the fact that they work, as advertised.

It's a great product.  If you're gonna go this route to "hush" your bow, though....understand there's trade-offs.

I mean NO malice towards the product.  I'll order them, again....and build my arrow to match.  I'll be doing that before turkey season.

Offline boog21

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2009, 09:57:00 PM »
In the owner's video that Bob Lee sends out with his bows he recommends soaking the ends of your flemish string in laquer thinner to remove the wax.  This softens the ends of the string and reduces the noise from the string slapping the limb on recurves.  I've tried it and it helps a little.  The laquer thinner will fade the colors of your string and the cut ends of the stirng that stick out will fray and turn kind of fuzzy.

Offline heydeerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2009, 10:00:00 PM »
Jeff,

I gave the confused sign because you stated that bow hush increased the dynamic spine of your arrows. That is impossible. In fact whenever you put anything on your string you are slowing it down so the opposite is true. This would lessen the spine if anything.

If this were the case I would make strings from bowhush and put bow hush on the strings.  :)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©