3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hunting Trophy Bucks  (Read 409 times)

Offline jojotater

• Trad Bowhunter
Hunting Trophy Bucks
« on: August 22, 2009, 12:08:00 PM »
I killed my first deer with a bow in 1979 at age 18; it was a doe. I was as proud of that deer as I could possibly be. My family, friends, and I have taken a lot of deer since then, and all on public land--we are blessed with plenty of public land in Arkansas. We were happy with any legal deer we took with our bows back then--I mean thrilled. I still am.

My teenage nephew killed a deer last year with his bow. His dad and others were on him because he took a legal doe. They were joking, but I could tell it hurt him. It seems now a days if you don't wait for a trophy buck you are not a good hunter. Even on some public land they have strict antler point limits. I call this "The Outdoor Channel Syndrome). Hey, I really like that channel, but I will probably never be able to pay to hunt like that if I wanted to. I love to watch Fred on Sunday.

Some people are privileged to be able to manage the herd, and I'm sure they work hard to do this. This is great if that is what they want. However, it seems the rest of us better want it too if public land is going to be managed that way. Most hunters are lucky to just get a few days to hunt. They are happy just to take any deer.

I'm not knocking anyone here. I hope I'm not jealous because I don't have a tract of land to manage. However, I believe the hunting community places way to much on taking only trophy animals. Well, you can take "cull" bucks, too. I never liked that term.

I think if you want to hunt trophies, great. However, I believe all legal deer are trophies.

It seems now days you can buy a Boone and Crockett buck; does that mean anything anymore?

Do any of you guys feel this way or do you think only monster bucks are where it's at?

Offline GMMAT

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hunting Trophy Bucks
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2009, 12:26:00 PM »
I feel that MY pursuits are defined only by me...and that my ideologies do not define the "std".  I hunt for ME.  

In other words....What the "Other guy" is doing is none of my business....and I don't waste a second of my time worrying about HIM.

The so-called "Stages" of a hunter are the most insulting.  One man's "trophy" can not be defined by another.

Offline Owlgrowler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2009, 12:41:00 PM »
1. Trophies are in the eyes of the beholder.
2. Any one that would make any hunter feel hurt for killing a legal animal is an ass. Did you step up and tell them to get off the kid's case?
3. It takes hours and hours to make 22 minutes of TV show, remember that.
4. Canned hunts should be banned.
5. There are probably more big bucks on public land than what most people realize.
6. The above points are just my opinion. Mature bucks are where it's at for me. I've never paid to hunt anywhere, but I don't care if other people do. I shoot does and let young bucks walk.
Bragging may not bring happiness,
but no man having caught a large fish,goes home through the alley.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2009, 12:58:00 PM »
I've believe the first legal critter in range of a recurve or long bow is a trophy already.I never get on anyone about the size of the critter they harvest.I believe thats the worse thing to do to a young person for sure or old guy for that matter I know I hate it.
As mentioned above if you wanta hold out for a biggen please do so.I hunt public land with 10,000 other guy's in my hot spot and I ai'nt holding out for nothing but the first legal deer or elk within bow range.bd

Offline stiknstringer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2009, 12:59:00 PM »
I don't have anything against someone who wants to go after older class bucks since they usually are harder to get close to,isn't that why many trad. shooters hunt with the equipment that we do? I do however think that some shows promote the wrong idea when they try to manipulate genetics through artificial means.

Offline GMMAT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2009, 01:00:00 PM »
Not trying to be an ass.....but how do you justify this with your No. 2?

4. Canned hunts should be banned.

I'm no fan of canned hunts.  BUT, it's a legal method of taking game (in many places) and "canned" has MANY definitions.

Offline Ybuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2009, 01:13:00 PM »
I'm with ya. Here are my thoughts: You want to "trophy" hunt, more power to you.
I take the first mature deer i can, and im proud of it.
...and still say an old doe is the most challenging prey in the woods.
Steve.

Offline stickbow2442

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2009, 01:13:00 PM »
I just enjoy the hunt. And I will shoot any deer that gets close enough for a shoot. A large set of antlers would be cool. But it does not really matter to me. Anyway the smaller the deer the better shoot you have to be to get it right?
Robert
Michigan Longbow Association
----------------------------

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2009, 01:36:00 PM »
This will be my first year to hunt with a stick and a string and i know that first deer will be a trophy to me big or small. Even last year when i was killing deer with a comound it didnt matter to me if it was a buck or doe my heart still races. I spend many hours preparing for the hunt, hanging stands and clearing shooting lanes, planting crops and hours and hours of practice. I have killed my share of big bucks and for me its all about the hunt not the kill.
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2009, 01:40:00 PM »
"Trophy" is defined by each of us. I can't wait to pull back on the 1st nice doe that walks by me this year.....that will be my "trophy" if I arrow is true!!!

Young people can be wounded by words by older folks. May be intended to be good natured but that youngster might not know the difference. BIG wrong IMO.
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2009, 01:56:00 PM »
I'll shoot a big buck if I get a chance, but my favorite trophy is a yearling doe. I've passed young bucks and mature does to get a chance at one. Yum!
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline jojotater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2009, 02:52:00 PM »
I see many of us agree on this. However, I don't believe they should ban canned hunts, however, I'm not sure they should be allowed in the record books. Really not sure on this one yet.

When my nephew was not around, I did talk to the guys about dogging on him. I think they realized they were wrong. They tried to make it up to the boy by tell what they use to kill. That's my point; a few years ago no one would have made a joke about it.

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2009, 02:56:00 PM »
I don't know I would call a doe a "trophy". Am I happy when I take one? Of course, but it's not because it's a trophy.

It's because I've HUNTED, and made a clean kill, and my family will enjoy the venison.

I'm happy, but it's not a trophy.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2009, 03:12:00 PM »
Things change as you go, at one time I would have taken any deer to walk by,but now I let a lot of em walk.

I still take a couple does per year if possible,but I let little bucks walk always. I love to see a set of antlers that have reached their potential!

To each his own!! Good luck all and be safe!
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline GMMAT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2009, 05:21:00 PM »
I don't consider EVERY doe a trophy, Ray.  Some, though....I do.  Key word in both of our posts is "I".

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2009, 07:38:00 PM »
I love hunting big bucks,but i live in an area that has a lot of them.Im originally from WV and very rarly did i see a big buck.Hunt for what ever makes you happy.And i love to hunt does the ones that always seem to know what tree im in.  :archer:
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Offline justin ammons

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2009, 10:53:00 PM »
any mature 3.5 yrs or older deer is a trophy in my book
Pr. 3:5-6

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2009, 10:54:00 PM »
Interesting discussion as I posted something similar on another site, AND I got BLASTED.

My basic thought was:  I find it interesting that when you see the "trophy" pics of deer these days (like lists on other sites, etc) guys often get like 23 feet behind the deer or they list a true 118" deer as "130ish" or "130 gross". . . or whatever.  My main point was that it just seems like we are losing something when there is such pressure to somehow make the deer seem bigger than it was.  Good grief: a 118" deer is an awesome deer.  Seems like a loss to me to the tradition of hunting.  (I even got BLASTED for saying that hunting was a "tradition!")

Oh well- like always tradgang is far more sensible and real in dealing with these issues.  

I love hunting deer.  I deeply enjoy using trad equipment.  I have taken a number of deer that would make the "book" if I chose to submit them- but frankly, I have both does and spike/forkies that have been as special as the 160+. And honestly, I don't care if a guy takes a deer with a compound, crossbow, or gun.      

Trophies are in the eye of the beholder.  I would just say that we need to continue to press for our own honesty and not succumb to marketing and self-centered pressure to try to prove something. Take fair and honest pics, and if we want to list a score- then just be honest!  

Can't wait to see the fall harvests here on tradgang.  What a great group of people and site. Nothing more special than to see that smiling trad hunter face with a nice fat doe!

Dan in KS
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline Gehrke145

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2009, 11:37:00 PM »
KSdan +1  I feel the same way.  I 'trophy hunt' to make my season longer, no other reason.

Offline Buckeye Trad Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2009, 11:58:00 PM »
If everyone always holds out for a "trophy" buck eventually the herd will be so mis managed that there won't be any more "trophy" bucks.  So those of us that shoot the does are doin' the "trophy" hunters a favor.  Nothing against any one who wants to hold out for what he or she considers a trophy, that's their choice and as stated before you should take what makes you happy or what you consider a "trophy".  Tell the kid good job for me  :thumbsup:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©