3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Traditional accuracy and wheel bows  (Read 427 times)

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
Traditional accuracy and wheel bows
« on: August 23, 2009, 12:11:00 PM »
Yesterday we gathered in the local archery shop.  The owner, a longbow shooter himself, lets us shoot -after we clean up, sweep and mop the shop.  A very good deal for all concerned.
I put a golf tee in the block target, just the portion of the tee where the ball sets was visible-about 3/8 inch.  we stood back at took turns shooting at it. Genearlly after two shots, we had to remove arrows as the taget was obscured.  We were at about 12 yards or so.  A compund shooter with a $1200 rig entered and was getting some serving done and watched us.  He just shook his head at the accuracy of the bows.  He could not believe how consistent and accurate we were.  I believe a lot of wheelie shooters believe they are the only ones who can consistently shoot at dime sized targets with any degree of accuracy. Most of the tourneys we shoot here in NV, we stick shooters shoot in groups by ourselves and do not mix in with the other shooters-they just take too long!!!I have been shooting sticks since 1954, with some time in purgatory with wheels, but I just watch arrows fly for the enjoyment-can't see them with compounds these days.  cheers.
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Traditional accuracy and wheel bows
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2009, 01:10:00 PM »
Yea, the accuracy is just as good, but it takes a little (or in my case a LOT) of practice to get it (if I ever do...) and that is part of the fun eh?

You are right about trad shooters usually sticking to themselves at shoots and we do shoot quicker when we get to a target but most of us make up that time looking for arrows behind the target    :rolleyes:      :D     So I think it all works out in the end.

Sure wish I could shoot good enough to have "minute of squirrel head" accuracy but as of yet, NOT.
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline bigiron

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2009, 02:39:00 PM »
used to shoot red stick on dots the size of nickels, dimes & silver dollars in the bow shop i worked at several years ago,to get people interested in trad. bows. get them dialed in with the right arrow & then trad them off for something else to tinker on. had 18yd. range & 20yd. Dart range. tons of fun & comrodery.

Offline GMMAT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2009, 03:47:00 PM »
If you think the accuracy is equal......enter a compound tournament.  There's no rule against it.

Traditional bow accuracy is FAR from being as random as I once thought.  But it doesn't sniff compound bow accuracy.  It doesn't have to.  Two different animals.

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2009, 06:44:00 PM »
None of my hunting friends ever even shot a traditional bow until I started.  Now there are two, with more converts on the way.  Funny how they think it is so complicated.  Since I work on their compounds, they've seen the improvement in the way I shoot and it has them thinking.  
I shot a turkey this spring and explained that if I had to concentrate on my peep and picking a pin I would have missed.  Instead, I shot a walking turkey at 20 paces at the base of the neck.  Luck?  Maybe some, but I practiced hard and a lot of it in the dark to make concentration my focal point.  Now I'll go out and play on the range with my wheelie buddies and watch their expressions when I split their groups at 30yds.
"The overhead view is of me in a maze...you see what I'm hunting a few steps away."  Phish

Offline Gehrke145

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2009, 07:01:00 PM »
GMMAT I agree, if some one can shoot at 20 what I do at 60 with my 3d wheely rig I would toss them a $100 bill!

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2009, 07:05:00 PM »
hell we dont have a say as to who we shoot with well me anyway they always put me with wheel bows but i still have fun as i like to try and smash there arrows. plus i get to read my book while wating for them to  shoot.
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline GMMAT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2009, 07:16:00 PM »
GMMAT I agree, if some one can shoot at 20 what I do at 60 with my 3d wheely rig I would toss them a $100 bill!

Never said anything like that (I didn't).

I know guys right here in NC I'd put up against ANY compound shooter.....if the wheelies shoot 60yds and the trad guys get to shoot 20yds.

We countin' 12's?

I'd take that bet, for $100.

Offline Gehrke145

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2009, 08:03:00 PM »
I'm all in, when you coming out to Colorado to elk hunt will meat up.  I would love to see someone win that bet, now if you talking hunting.  The stick wins hands down, well at least for me!  I've gone to tons of shoots and can't remember one where any stick shooter could keep them in a 5 inch circle every time at 20, (10 arrow rounds) not saying knowone can do it just haven't seen any.

Offline GMMAT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2009, 08:11:00 PM »
Again...don't put words in my mouth...lol.  I never said I could.  I said I know guys here in NC I'd back in that bet.  5" circle?  I asked if you're counting 12's!....lol

But I'll be in CO, next fall.  Still love to meet...and we'll just, instead, have a drink-off.

Offline Gehrke145

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2009, 08:29:00 PM »
lol deal, where you hunting in the state?

Offline GMMAT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2009, 08:48:00 PM »
40mi. N of Erie.

Offline Gehrke145

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2009, 08:59:00 PM »
No kidding, my dad hunts that counrty up there once in a while.  Some giant muleys

Offline illianabowhntr67

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2009, 05:56:00 PM »
I took took up stickbows knowing I could not shoot 50yrd. groups like with my compound.It's kind a like the debate between flintlockers and inliners.

Offline SteveB

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2009, 07:32:00 PM »
Kissing a dime at 12 yds should not be unusual.

Offline gsdmikko

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2009, 07:36:00 AM »
movin to co. in january..(western)
Follow Your Dreams
" It's better to die Livin'
  Than live Dyin "

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2009, 08:10:00 AM »
Looking for some easy money eh Jamie? lol
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline gsdmikko

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2009, 08:16:00 AM »
Nah,, but I would take that bet..  :goldtooth:
Follow Your Dreams
" It's better to die Livin'
  Than live Dyin "

Offline stick_string

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2009, 08:27:00 AM »
For me...shooting trad was not about the accuracy.  I knew that I would fall short of that apple tree...  :knothead:  

For me it was about getting closer than my wheelie buddies.  When they would stop at 30yards or even 20yards....I will get closer.    :thumbsup:
stick_string

GEN 27:3 (its in the BIBLE!!)

Ember Longbow and Brack Drifter

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2009, 09:28:00 AM »
I shot a compound for about 10 years, until I finally realized that in a close-range hunting situation the stick bow was superior, due to the simplicity and speed of handling. It's not just about accuracy. In the Eastern woods I hunt most of the time, a shot over 20 yards is rare. At that range and less, I'll take the stickbow every time.

Besides, they make much better walking sticks.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©