3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: GFA v/s Arrow Master  (Read 592 times)

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: GFA v/s Arrow Master
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2009, 09:23:00 AM »
I've had a catquiver and it does not compare to an Arrowmaster. The AM is much easier to get arrows out of and return to. Really the best back style quiver I have ever owned. The GFA is a fine quiver, also, but I prefer the AM. I can carry more arrows, I can include more small game arrows, and the pocket is a plus for flashlights, knives and accesories.
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2009, 10:17:00 AM »
I've used my GFA for four years and am nothing but pleased with it. It is my "goto" quiver.

"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2009, 11:10:00 AM »
This will be my second season with the Arrowmaster and I am convinced it's the one for me.

I found it to be quiet, durable, unobstrusive, and convenient. I can carry plenty of hunting arrows (including blunts) that stay dry and ready for instant use.  It also rides nicely beside my Bison Gear pack.  

Not only that, but my wife is happy that I have finally bought my last quiver.   ;)  Her final comment was, "Now if you would just buy your last bow!."  :saywhat:    

Lon Scott

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2009, 11:45:00 AM »
I vote for Arrow Master.  Lightweight, broadheads and other points stay put in the foam, arrows don't rattle in the quiver, easy to get in and out, pocket for items.  What's not to like?
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline maxwell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2009, 12:11:00 PM »
I use the arrow master, it's just a great quiver all around and I've tried most everything out there.

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2009, 01:37:00 PM »
Thanks guys.  I ordered a GFA this morning from Kustom King.  My mom is great with needle and material so it most likely will get a custom removable cover with pocket much like the AM.  I already have ideas for accessability due to the arrow holders and a special little arrow sleeve for blunts only.  I'll post pics when its done.
"The overhead view is of me in a maze...you see what I'm hunting a few steps away."  Phish

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2009, 03:06:00 PM »
I realize you already made your decision, but someone else is liable to read this, so...

For what it's worth, I much more prefer the Arrowmaster.  I even have one to use for 3-D.  The acessory pockets are great, and it's infinately adjustable.  It works great alone, with a back pack, or a day pack.

I haven't used the GFA brand, but I made one like it several years ago.  Never really liked it--in thick stuff, arrows got pulled loose regularly.  the fletch cover I made for it also got yanked off a lot.  I'd given up on finding "the" quiver some time ago, and was using a cheap hip quiver (worn GFA style)until Rod designed the Arrowmaster.

I've used my Arrowmaster in the mountains of CO, creek bottoms of MS, at 3-D tournaments all around the Southeast, and am taking it to NM in a week.  I've tried to find something wrong with it, and I can't--it works better than any quiver I've every owned, and I've spent a small fortune on quivers over the years.  

Nothing against G. Fred, the Arrowmaster is just a better quiver for me.  Rod has also done a lot for our sport, and continues to do so.  

Chad

Offline South MS Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2009, 11:47:00 PM »
I too have tried both the GFA style (made one one from an old Big Horn Quiver) and recently brought the AM and i will say hand down that the AM is so much easier to use and protects the feathers better.  Also let me say this is not about GFA or Rod but about a product and what ones opinion is on that product, I think sometimes we get caught up in the person and loose sight of what being asked. My issues with the GFA style is like others have said, traveling through thick brush arrows being pulled loose, or even causing me to stop and untangle, also I damaged a lot of fletchings from having no protection.  The Am gives good protection and it glides through the brush with very little hang up if any. The one area that I'm still judging, is with the long 34"arrows I use (with a WW broad head) it leave very little room to slide out of the opening without hanging it on the edge.  Like it's been said before the best way to form an opinion is try it for your self, you may be surprise on what really works    :goldtooth:
Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

Offline R. Combs

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2009, 05:51:00 AM »
Does anyone use the Arrowmaster while carrying a tree stand? I carry a tree stand in and out of the woods a lot and didn't know if anyone was doing it with a arrowmaster.

Rick

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2009, 07:08:00 AM »
I have used both and much prefer the Arrowmaster and other simular tube type quivers.The arrows are always out of the way and protected.Much faster and easier to get an arrow on the string with min movement.No flagging when you use bright coloered fletching either.
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2009, 07:57:00 AM »
I have never owned or used an actual GFA quiver, however I have made several over the years, even before the GFA came out.  It works, holds the arrows securely and safely, but is not the answer FOR ME.  

The Arrowmaster works real well FOR ME and is the answer MOST OF THE TIME.  I do not like to wear it if I am wearing my Bison Gear pack as the waist pockets (BG) stick out and cause the quiver to stick out uncomfortably as well.

It holds the arrows quietly and securely.  No rattle, no feather noise, no wet feathers.  I use it a lot.

Nothing is perfect and nothing will fit everybodys expectations.

Both are pretty good options.  I suggest you find someone at a shoot that has them and ask to try them out.  See which one you like,
ChuckC

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2009, 08:59:00 AM »
There's several different ways to carry the AM with a treestand--very versitile.

Chad

Offline GMMAT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2009, 09:26:00 AM »
The beauty of the AM is the ability to carry a variety of different tipped arrows.  It'll surely see a LOT of time in my woods, this fall.  I love mine.

Will I use another quiver?  Some.  There is no (IMO) one perfect quiver (for all applications).  But....the AM is the closest I've found.

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2009, 03:32:00 PM »
For me, I've found there is no perfect quiver. My arrows, with broadheads attached, are 34 3/4" long and that causes a problem for the AM. Tough to slide arrows out of or put back in. So, with my long arrows, I've found a GFA type quiver is the best choice for me and I wear one like a back quiver. Not like a side quiver where there is a chance of one's arrow being pulled loose or damaging the feathers. If I have to go through some very thick brush, my 66" recurve or my 68" longbow will get hung up first before my quiver will. As for the protection of my feathers in heavy fog, I waterproof my feathers. Where there is a will, there is a way. Everyone's situation is different depending on the total length of their arrows and the brush (cover) they bowhunt in. One last note. I do not bowhunt in the rain. I don't enjoy that.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2009, 06:30:00 PM »
Try the new GFA Moose hide quiver and you'll be stylin...   ;) ...
 http://shrewbows.com/gfa_quiver/
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2009, 06:55:00 PM »
My arrows are 34 3/8" with broadheads.  Rod just had a longer hood made for mine.  I don't have any problem silently taking an arrow out or putting one back in.  Often when target shooting I'll cram several in at once.  

I hunt/shoot tournaments with bows as long as 72".  They do get hung up in thick stuff at times, but unlike arrows I don't have to worry about my bow falling out without me noticing.  I've had that happen, and heard from others who have had it happen, with a quiver that leaves the arrows exposed.  The chances of loosing your arrows from an Arrowmaster are slim.

I'm not arguing that some folks won't like a GFA better, but I know that the Arrowmaster works just fine with long arrows and/or in thick brush.  

Chad

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2009, 08:35:00 PM »
my arrows are 34" BOP.  Rod made the "extended hood" for me too.  A gigantic head does take a little extra rearward push to get them out, but it still happens silently.  Keep in mind, you can go hoodless and your arrows are still protected.  It is in the rain/snow when you want the hood on.

I have no beef against the GFA (never hunted with it).  I just like my Arrowmaster.

BobW
"A sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine"
>>---TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow--->
Member: Double-T Archery Club, Amherst, NY
St. Judes - $100k for 2010 - WE DID IT!!!!

Offline Hatrick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2009, 08:49:00 PM »
I made a GFA style quiver 3 years ago. Used it for 2 seasons and liked it. I used a AM quiver all last year and it was OK. Feathers got mashed down on a couple of arrows and the pocket just doesn't cut it for me. I sold it after the season.

For me, it's back to the GFA with a fanny pack. IMHO, the arrows feel much more secure and the quiver itself is easier to handle in all situations.

I'll tell you this though, it sure is nice these days having so many quality options in equipment. I go back to the days of the slide on Kwikee Kwiver brackets with no hood at all. I'm just glad I didn't know how to sharpen broadheads very well back then.
The scent of Autumn is like food to the hunters soul.

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2009, 12:34:00 AM »
I like either using the Arrowmaster or a bow quiver like the Eagle Flight. The GFA to me is a bow quiver trying to act like a side or back quiver. Nothing wrong with that, but not what I prefer.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©