3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Another shrew pig  (Read 295 times)

Offline swampdrummer

• Trad Bowhunter
Another shrew pig
« on: August 23, 2009, 11:19:00 PM »
Figured I would try and put one more hog in the freezer before I got "serious" on deer in about 3 weeks.
Set up in a clump of palmettos close to a trail coming out of a swampy area heading up into higher drier ground. Just as it was getting light enough to see a very big pig came down the trail. I'm guessing 300# plus. A quick mental calculation told me that she would fill  the freezer beyond capacity and I let her walk. I sat till about 8:30 am and saw no more pigs but I was covered up with deer. 5 does, 3 bucks including one really nice 8 point. All at less than 10 yards... Hope that holds for a few more weeks!

At any rate I packed up and headed back to the house thru a big oak hammock with a little creek running thru it. Just still hunting along. Heard palmettos rustling off to my left and thought it was an armadillo. Stopped and listened. Hmmm, armadillos don't grunt ? :-) I could just barely see black in the palmettos and didn't have any way of getting closer without spooking this hog. Figured I'd just sit still and see what developed. The wind was right and next thing I know I am surrounded by hogs. Must have been 10 or 12 in this bunch. All good eating sized. Had one little boar offer a shot but as I drew my shrew back I was spotted by another hog close by and one short grunt put them all back in the thick stuff. They all wandered off on down the trail/creek bank.
I figured I blew my shot for the day and was already planning the evening hunt. I continued to slip along the creek bank and pretty soon I was back in among pigs! Another little boar offered a shot at about 15 yards and I shot just over his back. He ran off 10 feet or so but all the rest were now looking straight at me. I froze and apparently they weren't spooked enough to leave as they soon went back to feeding. I could see bits and pieces of pig in  the underbrush but no shot offered until a small sow stepped out from behind a big live oak at about 10 yards. But there was a big cabbage palm between me and her with fronds hanging just about to the ground. This is where it gets fun! I've been working on my "odd" shots in the last few weeks and felt pretty confident. Dropping to one knee and canting the bow a full 90 degrees to get under the palm fronds( try that wheelie guys!) I let fly and saw the lime green fletching bury in just behind the shoulder. The little sow ran into and across the creek but I heard her fall just the other side. Gave her a few minutes and followed up. Good blood trail that I followed "just in case" but she lay dead where I thought she was.  Arrow hit just behind the left shoulder and took out the top of the heart and a lung before exiting the other side.  A quick thanks to the creator and a short drag to the house and I am ready for deer season to get started!

Back Tension BEFORE Back Strap !

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Another shrew pig
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2009, 11:23:00 PM »
Nice shooting on a perfect eater!

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2009, 11:23:00 PM »
Great job! How were the bugs?

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2009, 11:27:00 PM »
:thumbsup:    :notworthy:
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline swampdrummer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2009, 11:28:00 PM »
skeeters are pretty rough down this way the thermacell is the best thing since sliced bread. :-)

Offline NorthernCaliforniaHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2009, 12:00:00 AM »
That's a Luau size hog! Excellent eatin'!

Good job!
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, it's melancholy, and its charm." Theodore Roosevelt

Find me at ShareTheBounty

Offline bushytail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2009, 07:19:00 AM »
Good job  :thumbsup:
Harold Wetzler

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2009, 07:50:00 AM »
Nice job!!!
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2009, 08:11:00 AM »
Great way to spend a day! Congrats!
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline elkbreath

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2009, 12:55:00 PM »
dang you guys with hogs!  congrats on the good kill and good luck in the coming weeks

I've always thought that if nebraska or Colorado had Some hogs than wyoming would be the perfect place to live.  

Besides that, its the perfect place anyway :-)  Ain't no elk in florida!   :notworthy:    

Oh and I love that bow!
77# @ 29.5 r/d longbow homer
80# @ 29.5 GN super Ghost

Offline Schafer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2009, 01:21:00 PM »
Nice Pig:-)
“There’s more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.” - Fred Bear

53@29 Randy Morin Banshee
66@29 Schafer Silvertip

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2009, 01:43:00 PM »
I am so jealous of you guys that get to hunt pigs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :thumbsup:
"A sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine"
>>---TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow--->
Member: Double-T Archery Club, Amherst, NY
St. Judes - $100k for 2010 - WE DID IT!!!!

Offline bigislandmark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2009, 02:17:00 PM »
Congrats on a fine pig! Looks fat and tender.

Enjoy!

Offline rushlush

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2009, 04:40:00 PM »
Nice!

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2009, 04:59:00 PM »
Real good stuff here Brad. Man this is perfect. Much prefer a heart shot anyday. A pass through spray paints the trail.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline swampdrummer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2009, 06:40:00 PM »
Thanks folks. Was very tempted to go back out this afternoon after a quick rain shower here but need the freezer room for deer. :-)

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2009, 07:38:00 PM »
Excellent story and pig.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline TSP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2009, 07:59:00 PM »
Always been fascinated with the thought of bowhunting wild pigs.  Seems like the perfect animal for it (including the eating part).  Wish we had'm up here.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©