3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 855 gr Good or Bad????  (Read 345 times)

Offline Caleb the bow breaker

• Trad Bowhunter
855 gr Good or Bad????
« on: August 24, 2009, 12:03:00 PM »
Okay all,

Need some opinions.  Have put together some ash shafts and they came out a little bit heavier than i excpected.  855 grains to be exact.  I shoot a Chekmate II 55lbs at 30 inches.  Arrows shoot great and other than the weight I dont have any complaints.  They are a bit slower and shoot a bit lower but I have already gotten the "feel" for them.  

Can an arrow be too heavy.  Gonna be using them for whitetails and maybe a muley.  Not sure there is anything that can be done about it this late in the game.  Season is less than a month away.

Caleb
Oh squeaky treestand, how I hate thee!

Offline bmb

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 855 gr Good or Bad????
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009, 12:09:00 PM »
i would say yes that is too heavy. for me, the rainbow arc of the arrow would make my accuracy suffer but if you can shoot it, go for it. for deer, both whitetail and mule, i would use an arrow no heavier than 500grs. the arrows i use for deer are 386grs. and 410grs. they passthru fine.

good luck this season

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2009, 12:11:00 PM »
The only thing the weight will affect is trajectory.If you can work with that at you shooting distances,you are fine.They should be very tough and should penetrate well.If you ever short draw the bow you will see a lot more error than you would with lighter arrows.

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2009, 12:16:00 PM »
That's over 15gr/#, BUT you should take into account your 30" draw.  That's giving the horsepower of about a 65# @28"; thinking of it that way effectively brings you back down into the 13gr/# range.  Long draws (and short ones) change the game quite a bit.

If they shoot good and you like 'em, then shoot 'em.  Bet they really rock the target! :)

I've been shooting 14gr/#... but again, that's w/ a 30" draw.
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline Caleb the bow breaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2009, 12:23:00 PM »
They do it very hard.  Bury about 2/3 fo the shaft in a a morrell bag target.  Not sure how that will translate to deer.  Hopefully full pass through.  I shoot them well to 20 yards after that it is pretty tough, but that is plenty good for my limitations.  

I wish i had weighed them before finishing.  I wonder how much weight I added during the sealing and cresting steps.  I could possible decrease point weight but i hate to mess with good flight.

Caleb
Oh squeaky treestand, how I hate thee!

Offline bmb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2009, 01:21:00 PM »
"Hopefully full pass through"...i assure you it will. like i said in my first post, i pass thru deer using 386gr arrows out of a 44# bow and 410 gr. arrows out of a 53# bow.....and thats the total weight with 100gr. magnus heads....and my draw is 25"!!

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2009, 01:36:00 PM »
Yep, my wood arrows are 850g (34"), and that isn't even trying for any FOC enhancements (145g tip).  They are even barrel tapered to reduce weight.  My bows are 56# to 60# at 32" of draw.  They hit with more authority than a 20ga.  Nobody likes the job of pulling them on any of the 3-d shoots.

BobW
"A sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine"
>>---TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow--->
Member: Double-T Archery Club, Amherst, NY
St. Judes - $100k for 2010 - WE DID IT!!!!

Offline Bowspirit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2009, 03:53:00 PM »
If you already have a feel for them, and shoot them well, what's the problem. That's the beauty of this sport; you can shoot what ever does the job for you, and that's always different, from one shooter to the next....
“I read somewhere of how important it is in life, not necessarily to be strong, but to feel strong. To measure yourself at least once.”
                -Alexander Supertramp

"Shoot this for me."
                -Chuck Nelson

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2009, 04:10:00 PM »
If they are tuned well I would say you are in business. Make a point of practicing with some longer shots too-you may be pleasantly surprised.
Depending on your finishes you could add quite a bit of weight. I use Tru Oil on Ash and Hickory to avoid weight gain and still get protection from the elements.

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2009, 05:10:00 PM »
If you like them..I like them.  :bigsmyl:  Good luck during the season.

They are not anything I personally would use however.A litttle too much arch in my archery for me.  ;)
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline Coop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2009, 05:58:00 PM »
If your broadheads aren't sharp, maybe you can at least knock them over with that weight  :) .
"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do"

-Mike

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2009, 07:10:00 PM »
sounds like a good set up ... go afield with confidence !
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline Kevin L.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2009, 07:18:00 PM »
It ain't catch and release.......... as long as you can put a nice, sharp BH on the front and hit what you want, go for it. I normally shoot 650gr+ out of 58#. No such thing as too much weight, if you can hit your target.
Appalachian LB 66"57@26
Appalachian LB 68" 60@28
Appalachian Flatbow 64" 56@28
Appalachian Archery RC 58"62@28
Bighorn LB 68" 57@28
HH Wesley LB 66" 53@27
HH Cheetah LB 66" 52@26
Saxon American RC 58" 60@28

Offline SteveB

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2009, 07:24:00 PM »
15gr/# would have a very negative effect on my accurracy - therefore for me, they are a bad thing.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©