3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hunting sharp from the box .... no way.  (Read 641 times)

Offline Mr.Magoo

• Trad Bowhunter
Hunting sharp from the box .... no way.
« on: August 24, 2009, 04:36:00 PM »
I just got a pack of Stinger Buzzcuts in the mail.  They look well made and spin true, but hunting sharp from the box ... no way.  They would push shave hair, but I literally had to saw on a rubber band the size of angel hair pasta to cut it (maybe I should show it the package that says "CAUTION: RAZOR SHARP BLADES."

Now I don't care if I have to sharpen it, but I bet too many folks are just screwing these on from the package and hitting the woods.

Offline razorsharptokill

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hunting sharp from the box .... no way.
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009, 06:40:00 PM »
I guess people have different oppinions of what "hunting sharp" is. I love to sharpen things but if it says hunting sharp I shouldn't have to touch it. Too bad there isn't an industry standard to gauge sharpness.
Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
Oklahoma Army National Guard 88-89
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm
Oklahoma Air National Guard 2002- present. Operation Iraqi Freedom 2005(Qatar) and 2007(Iraq),
Operation New Dawn Iraq 2011,
Operation Enduring Freedom 2018 Afghanistan.
NRA Life Member.

Offline Steel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2009, 10:24:00 PM »
I have been shooting the stinger buzzcuts for a while now they are nice but the several packs I have bought they all needed alittle sharpening for my taste.Still nice heads for the money overall.

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2009, 10:50:00 PM »
the only fixed blade heads iv ever seen hunting sharp out of the pack are the silverflames and anything you get from Ron at KME ( Rons stuff is what i call properly sharp)

anything else if it says hunting sharp out of the packet take it with a grain of salt
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2009, 11:07:00 PM »
agree, never seen hunting sharp from the pack unless it was a replaceable blade head. But I like to sharpen so all is good! Specially now I have paperwheels

J
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2009, 11:14:00 PM »
Well the last ones I got were about as sharp as any head I have seen.Remind me of Thunderhead blades.They will cleanly shave my arm so have no trouble with the rubber band thing.  :)
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline toddster

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2009, 05:49:00 AM »
Amen, to me, if I am not scared of the sharpness of the broadhead, then it isn't sharp enough.

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2009, 11:56:00 AM »
They might be sharp going into the package, but unless the package is vacuum-sealed, that edge is going to oxidize over time.

A mass-produced head is likely to sit int he package for a year or more before you put it on an arrow.  No way is that head going to be sharp at that point.

It's a useful lesson to take to the woods, too.  After you sharpen your heads, wipe them with a little Chap-Stik to keep the edges from oxidizing.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2009, 12:22:00 PM »
I suppose having them sharp enough for hunting out of the box is a good thing, but I would not even consider hunting with a broadhead arrow that I had not shot to make sure it's perfect, so they have to be resharpened anyhow.

Besides, sharpening your broadheads is part of that labor of love! It's a skill that the responsible hunter with cutting tip heads must have.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline bama

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2009, 05:07:00 PM »
I can't help but be skeptical but I have a hard time believing that a blade that will "push shave" hair would have any problem cutting a rubber band.

Offline Hattrick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2009, 05:36:00 PM »
Had the same problem with them
Bull

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2009, 06:24:00 PM »
I'm with Don Stokes.  What's the point of sharp right out of the box, other than it takes less sharpening to get them ready.   Folks need to sharpen heads before hunting....and touching-up in the field as well.  It's why I've carried a file with me since the 1960's.

Archers/bowhunters should pride themselves in what they can do, and not in what they don't have to do.

Offline razorsharptokill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2009, 06:37:00 PM »
Good point George.
Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
Oklahoma Army National Guard 88-89
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm
Oklahoma Air National Guard 2002- present. Operation Iraqi Freedom 2005(Qatar) and 2007(Iraq),
Operation New Dawn Iraq 2011,
Operation Enduring Freedom 2018 Afghanistan.
NRA Life Member.

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2009, 06:54:00 PM »
well said george!!!
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2009, 09:34:00 PM »
I sharpen my heads too, but my non-serrated Stingers are very sharp out of the package.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline LC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2009, 09:57:00 PM »
Well I gotta agree with the crowd that said my Stingers (3 different packs) was NOT sharp out of the box. Like Stokes said I've never complained because I've always thought it was worthless anyhow because I'm gona shoot them first to make sure they fly right on my arrow anyhow. The problem I have with the advertising is us "trad" guys aren't the only ones buying and using this head as I know they sell well with the compound crowd also and I've known several that are use to buying stuff off the rack screwing it on a shaft and heading out to hunt! As for me if you think these heads are sharp out of the box you really need to witness a SHARP head.
Most people get rich by making more money than they have needs, me, I just reduced my needs!

Offline AR RidgeRunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2009, 12:58:00 AM »
I just bought (2) packs of  Buzzcuts from Cabelas and they were shaving sharp out of the package.

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2009, 07:02:00 AM »
Well I like sharp out of the package.Like others I will shoot then at least once after mounting but it is a lot easier to touch up one that has already been sharpened than one that is not.

With the price they are asking for new broadheads I think having them reasonably sharp from the pack is not too much to ask for either. jmo
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline trapperDave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2009, 08:37:00 AM »
steeforce heads are the only ones
i've seen that are truely shavin sharp right out of the package

Offline bama

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2009, 08:41:00 AM »
I started using Muzzy Phantoms last year.  By my standards they are sharp and ready to use right out of the box.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©