3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Some broadhead talk......  (Read 709 times)

Offline Morning Star

• Trad Bowhunter
Some broadhead talk......
« on: August 24, 2009, 05:58:00 PM »
I always find broadhead conversations interesting and usually follow all the discussions on here that come up.

Even though I'm pretty seated in two particular heads (Woodsman for big game and 160 Snuffers for turkeys) I always like to scope the field.  Always interested in a head that makes the biggest cut with the best penetration.....

Being a fan of lots of cutting surface, I thought I'd do a little experiment with some of the heads I have that qualify in that respect.   Just for kicks I ran some heads through paper and made some cut measurements by adding the length of each blade together.

I should mention these heads were sharpened enough to hunt with, so they are a hair shy of out of the box width.

Total cutting surfaces.....

Magnus I (single blade) = 1.5"

Wensel Woodsman (original) 1.5"

160gr Snuffer = 2.25"

Muzzy Phantom (4 blade)= 2.25"

Just some random thoughts.....

Even being picky with my arrow tuning, I was never able to get those Magnus 1's to fly great.  Nice to know the Woodsman has just as much cut.

Never had much luck with consistently making 2 holes with 160 Snuffers on deer......dead deer, typically just 1 drain hole though.  It was interesting to see the Phantom has just as much cut as the Snuffer, but a lower profile.  I think I'm gonna give the Phantom SS a run on a couple whitetails this season.  It really seems like a solid well made head.

:campfire:
Iowa Bowhunters Association - Your voice in Iowa's bowhunting and deer hunting issues!

Offline dave19113

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Some broadhead talk......
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009, 06:58:00 PM »
Try the Ace 200gr heads.....
FREEDOM IS NOT FREE

Offline Blasterjdh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2009, 07:00:00 PM »
I too like these type of conversations - very interesting
EOD Motto: Initial Success or Total Failure

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2009, 08:34:00 PM »
Hey bud, What's your set-up?

Just wondering cause as you know I'm a fan of 160's myself and I don't think I've ever not had two holes unless I smashed the opposite shoulder...

63#'s with 560-580gr arrows

58#'s with 530gr arrows

both with about 260 grains up front

all have been broadside or slight quartering....
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Morning Star

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2009, 08:49:00 PM »
Hey bud, What's you set-up?
I shoulda put that in there....

I'm shooting 56# with 625gr total arrow weight.   I know I'm close to getting them punched through, but my elbow just won't tolerate anymore lbs.

Probably should note, all my Snuffer 160 kills came from tree stands.  I know that makes it tougher to get through hitting those thick upper ribs.
Iowa Bowhunters Association - Your voice in Iowa's bowhunting and deer hunting issues!

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2009, 08:54:00 PM »
I like trying different heads so play with a lot.My take is pretty much like yours on the magnus one and big snuffer.

I shoot lighter bow weights and the 160 snuffer is a bit much.I use the simmons when I want really big cuts.It is the only wide cut head that really fly well for me and peitrates real easy in deer and hogs.I use the 3 and 4 blades like woodsman,stingers and phantoms the rest of the time.
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2009, 09:03:00 PM »
Hmmm...I would think at your draw weight and especially your arrow eight you should be getting through....

All of mine have been from treestands as well.....

Those are all good bh's that I would use in a heartbeat, including James' big Simmoms...

I just have such good results with Snuffers and WW(hogs) that I don't have any reason to change.
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2009, 09:07:00 PM »
I agree with Guru.When I shot 50lb bows I had no trouble with the snuffer on deer.Now with a bad shoulder and 10lbs less bow weight I have to be more selective on what I put on the end of my arrow.  ;)  With your setup I would not give using one a second thought.
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline elkbreath

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2009, 01:23:00 AM »
but than again, why not, if you think your getting as much cuttin surface from the muzzy phantom?  perhaps you'll get better penetration and good holes...

I used phantoms on a bull and was pleased, though I haven't gone back for whatever reason.
77# @ 29.5 r/d longbow homer
80# @ 29.5 GN super Ghost

Offline toddster

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2009, 05:48:00 AM »
You know, have been member of this site for years.  I must admit that I am impressed with the traditional following.  It would appear that we are the only ones who are fanatical about our broadheads as well as sharpness.  Kudos to all of us traditional (ethical) hunters.

Offline Mo. Huntin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2009, 07:41:00 AM »
Wow! I guess the compounders are the (unethical) ones. I just love it man.  I had a few things typed up here but I am just going to leave it at this because I would just assume not throw this thread way off track.

Offline Builder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2009, 08:51:00 AM »
Interesting! Due to wearing out my shoulder years ago in the construction business I shoot anywhere from 42-50# bows. I have always shot the Ace 160 and the zwickey 2-blade heads. On the last eight or so deer I have shot, I have had complete pass throughs and easy blood trails. In the last 15 years I have lost one really nice buck that I believe I only caught one lung on a quartering away shot when it went into a very large deep water swamp. Can't really blame that on the broadhead.
USMC
Providing the enemies of America to die for thier countries.

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2009, 09:27:00 AM »
Try the 145 snuffer ,worth the shot.And what is you sharpening method?
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2009, 10:09:00 AM »
I have been shooting Mag I heads for years and lately been shooting snuffers a lot. I have no trouble with the magnus flight but I do shoot big feathers and bareshaft my arrows.The last 5 or 6 critters I`ve killed with snuffers have all at least got the broadhead out the other side and I only shoot between 45-50 pounds a 27". I know that if I stay out of the shoulder I will do good on deer from a stand with the snuffers I believe but I must stay focused on shot placement.I must say that the critters I`ve killed with the snuffer did not go far at all. No notes or official measuring but I would say probably half the distance of my average two blade recovery.Not knocking two blades I love`m and have killed tons of stuff with them.

I`m also a fan of the Big Simmons Mr. Wrenn spoke of. They were my go to heads for a while but I`m about out of them now.

If I were hunting Elk or 250 lb Northern Deer I may opt for a smaller head but with these 150 lb deer around here I`ll stay with some that cut big. A lot of people ask why I shoot big broadheads and light pounds on pigs and the simple truth is I have no desire to kill a BIG hog. I got a couple on the wall already and in all honesty they ain`t good to eat unless its a sow and I have never killed a sow that had a sheild. I know of a few that have but it ain`t common.Is a 160 snuffer out of a 48 pound longbow with 525 grain arrow good for big boars...I doubt it, but it works great on grill pigs. I have went to the 145 grain snuffer shooting 11 grains per pound and like the results. I do carry a Mag I that has been filed Simmon style in my quiver in case a big Blue or Red Boar shows up . I been wanting one of them.

The phantom does cut a big hole and are fine heads as well. A whole lot of quality broadheads out there these days.Ain`t we lucky.RC

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2009, 10:13:00 AM »
In all honesty and I have to say this. If a fella has always used small two blades he will have followed some decent blood trails and had success I`m sure but does not know what he is missing till he trails up a snufferized deer.RC

Offline Builder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2009, 11:28:00 AM »
This season I have some WW that I am going to try out of a 48# bow. The arrows weigh about 550gr. I had a problem with sharpening them at first until I tried the grinder method with a crock stik, shaving sharp now. If I can't get complete penetration it will be back to the Ace 160's.
USMC
Providing the enemies of America to die for thier countries.

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2009, 12:45:00 PM »
Originally posted by RC:
In all honesty and I have to say this. If a fella has always used small two blades he will have followed some decent blood trails and had success I`m sure but does not know what he is missing till he trails up a snufferized deer.RC
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2009, 02:17:00 PM »
Todd: If you go to the Bowsite you’ll usually see at least one very heated broadhead debate on the first page of the main forum. Pretty much any general bowhunting forum is the same way. Bowhunters are bowhunters, and stickbow shooters certainly don’t have a corner on the broadhead discussion market…or ethics for that matter.

RC: One of my best hunting partners shoots a compound and large mechanical heads that would make a 160 Snuffer look tiny. I’ve walked more of his blood trails than I can remember. They’re generally a small bit heavier than mine, but no shorter and no easier to follow.

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2009, 07:47:00 PM »
Tunning is the key w/ 160 snuffer.I once had a 68lbs bow that I never got tuned really well and shot a deer at 17yrds w/ a 160 snuffer.Went 10'' into the ribcage.My total arro # 720grs.Later that season killed 2 deer w/ a 48lbs @ 27'' and 160 snuffer on a 550gr arro.Both arros had to pull them out of the groung.I had this bow shooting bareshafts out to 35yrds.

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2009, 11:39:00 PM »
I plan on trying out the snuffer 160's this fall. I am shooting around 55 foot pounds so penetration is not an issue. Accuracy is most important to me. I could not get the phantoms to fly well. But they seem like a great head. I have used WW and Zwickey Delta 4bld. on several deer and liked them both. I would use my zwickeys but I got tired of the time it took to sharpen them. WW gets first place for penetration but I think that may have been because I was able to get them sharper than the deltas. I never tire of broadhead debates, the broadhead is just to crucial a part of the bowhunting setup to not get attention.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©