3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A couple of Chrono numbers  (Read 559 times)

Offline zwickeyman

• Trad Bowhunter
A couple of Chrono numbers
« on: August 24, 2009, 06:22:00 PM »
I have a very consistant draw and a decent release and these numbers are pretty darn close to what I figured they would be.

64" ACS 54# @ 28"     drawn to 28" 3 under     Hunting string with silencers  

2216   125 gr head  526 gr.  9.7 gpp    184 fps

2215   125 gr head  484 gr   9.0 gpp    191 fps

2016   100 gr head  440 gr   8.1 gpp    199 fps

I know I like seeing peoples numbers so I thought I would throw some out there.

Offline vtmtnman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: A couple of Chrono numbers
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009, 07:25:00 PM »
70's Bear grizzly,58" 50@ 28" drawn to 28,175gr tip on a full length GT 35/55 with 3 5.5" nanners,split finger release and cat whiskers on the string gave me 176 when I ran mine.Might be shooting a bit slower now with my 2213's though.
>>>>--TGMM family of the bow--->

Offline 8888blk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2009, 10:00:00 PM »
50#@30" ACS 525gr Easton Axis 400 @ 31 1/4" long 3 under 182fps  :bigsmyl:

Offline Boom Stick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2009, 10:14:00 PM »
Hey Zwikey,  is there a difference if you shoot split fingered?  I'm curious what,  if any,  difference that would make.

Offline zwickeyman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2009, 10:22:00 PM »
Boom Stick,

It's funny you ask because I shot both ways today and for me 3 under was a consistant 2 fps faster. Goes to show another reason to use what ever works best for you.

Offline Boom Stick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2009, 03:21:00 PM »
Thanks Zwikey,  that's interesting.  

Have you tested with different brace heights?
Is a lower BH actually faster although it sacrafices poundage?

If you have a scale, it would be great to see the numbers compairing the same bow's speed at a couple different brace heights.  (BH/#/fps)

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2009, 04:10:00 PM »
BS,

you say, "Is a lower BH actually faster although it sacrafices poundage?"

Just curious, but how does lowering your brace height sacrifice poundage?  I had always thought lower brace height made for "faster" bow.
Lon Scott

Offline Boom Stick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2009, 04:32:00 PM »
Originally posted by Blackhawk:
 I had always thought lower brace height made for "faster" bow.
That's the rumor but not everyone agrees.  I personally would like to see the numbers because I've heard both sides.  

-A higher BH stacks more power in the limbs and increases it's poundage, giving it more speed

-A lower BH keeps the string in the nock longer giving it a longer "power stroke" and more momentum and greater speed.

The second point (seems like it) would be true if you compare 2 bows with the same weight but at different brace heights.  But if you are just using ONE bow?

I'm on the higher BH/more poundage side of the fence,  but it's just a feeling.  I never tested it with a chrono.

Offline BernieH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2009, 10:16:00 PM »
I don't see how a higher or lower brace is going to change the bow's draw weight if drawn to the same place on your face. The weight at full draw will be the same in both cases. The higher brace will produce more weight at the beginning of the draw due to higher tension and the lower brace will start out lighter because of less tension but both will end up at the same draw weight.  The lower brace will produce more speed because of the longer power stroke.
Bernie

Offline Boom Stick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2009, 10:43:00 PM »
Not too sure about that Bernie but that's the great thing about testing things out.

I'd bet if you measured the bow from tip to tip at full draw,  the one with the shorter string (higher BH) would measure less than the one with a longer string (lower BH).  The tips of the higher BH would probably come back further too.

I never actually measured it from tip to tip at full draw though.  Every time I've tried,  I dry fired the dang thing!     :knothead:

Offline TradBowyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2009, 10:55:00 PM »
for all the more difference we talk about for brace height (1-1.5") a shorter brace height will give you more speed but not much...maybe 2-3 fps (in my testing anyway). This is due to the longer power stroke you get (force draw curve). Raising the brace height will not affect draw weight (theoretically it may but so small that its "negligable") because the limbs tips are always going to end up the same place for a given draw length regardless if the brace height is 5" or 10". You can verify this if you have a tiller tree. draw the bow to 28" and look at where the limb tips are. Lower brace heights basically mean the limb tips have to move a greater distance to get to that ending point than they do if the brace height is higher thus resulting in higher speed numbers but again, in my testing the differences have been so small that its not worth even considering.

Offline zwickeyman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2009, 12:48:00 AM »
Tradbowyer is right. Don't worry about brace height for speed because it's very minor. Brace the bow at the quietest spot.

Offline leftybearfan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2009, 12:56:00 AM »
62" d/r longbow, 47#@ my 30"draw, 31.5" Heritage 150s with 125 grain tips (512gr total weight), 175 fps.
"It's easier to do the right thing, than to explain why you didn't."

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©