3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What do you do with the meat?  (Read 755 times)

Offline elkbreath

• Trad Bowhunter
What do you do with the meat?
« on: August 25, 2009, 01:26:00 AM »
You folks that hunt a bunch, you know some of you kill several deer, hogs, a trip to africa and the outback and a rocky mountain excursion for wapiti, what do you do with it all?

Even alot of you boys who can kill 4 or five deer in a year?

I ask cause I would enjoy gettin a couple of doe tags and killing a buck and a couple of does, a Bull and a reduced price cow, plus my speed goat.  But than, what do I do with it?

I'm thinking soup kitchen or something on those lines?
77# @ 29.5 r/d longbow homer
80# @ 29.5 GN super Ghost

Offline Mallardstacker

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What do you do with the meat?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2009, 01:37:00 AM »
If you are fortunate to take enough game that you have excess, you are right - donation is a great option.

Shelters/Soup kitchens take a LOT of donations and are happy to take them.  Google "hunters for the hungry" or "donating game meat to charity" and you should find a slew of sites.

Edit - forgot to add that often, your local meat processor is probably a good option too.  I would expect them to at least know where to send it (if not take care of the whole process for you).

Offline huntindad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 01:48:00 AM »
Alot of years my household kills 4 deer some years less some more with the occasional bear or elk.I have 4 kids and we eat all of it before we start the next season along with numerous ducks and geese.We have never had too much,we often take some to a processor for pepper sticks ,summer sausage and such.Bill
The days spent hunting cannot be deducted from  the span of your life's time.

Offline Morning Star

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009, 06:55:00 AM »
I can always find a friend or co worker who is excited to get a deer from me.  I also like to have extra venison around for partys and cookouts.   I never have a problem finding good use for extra venison.  Here in Iowa we also have a program called HUSH.  You can drop off your kill at participating lockers and the meat goes to the needy.
Iowa Bowhunters Association - Your voice in Iowa's bowhunting and deer hunting issues!

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2009, 07:06:00 AM »
I have 112 people on my staff at work.  About 107 of them have learned to love venison. I host a couple of parties each year and always serve wild game at them.  I have people begging for it.  Sharing the success of the hunt is as old a tradition as hunting itself.
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2009, 07:26:00 AM »
I used to have an older guy that loved deer but never had time to hunt.I would kill two or three extra deer for him each year.I only need about 2 or 3 for myself.Since he died I now just kill a couple a year unless someone ask for some meat.Sometimes if helping someone else thin out some does I will take them by the hunters for the hungry drop off site if no one I know wants them and my freezer is full but gernerally I just kill what I need.
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline zipper bowss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2009, 07:40:00 AM »
Grand parents,and alot of other non hunting family love deer meat,and are happy to have any I bring them.Also land owners who let me hunt.
Bill

Offline BEN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2009, 07:52:00 AM »
When I have venison, I don't buy beef. I process my own deer and a good year is 4 in the freezer as roasts, steaks, and burger. I will buy 1/2 a hog from a local farmer/butcher and no beef gets bought as long as there is venison in the freezer--really saves on my grocery bill for the summer.  
This year, I'm out already. my daughter is getting bigger and taking on healthier portions!
Ben
M.O.A.B  54# Thunderstick
Ancient Spirits 62# "Thunderhawk"
Browning Wasp 45#

"VEGETARIAN"----Old Indian word for "BAD HUNTER".

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2009, 07:56:00 AM »
Glad you asked. After our "freezer is full" I handle mine in a few ways:

1. Farmers Hunters Feeding Hungry (www.fhfh.org) Is a tremondous Christian organization which pays for deer to be processed and then donates the meat to soup kitchens/ food pantries/etc. They are nearly nationwide and happen to be founded by a gentleman from not too far from me. No $ out of the hunters pocket when they "donate" a deer but they run out of $ to pay for processing every guy season....way before they run out of hungry mouths.

2. I will take my deer to a processor and then to Church where I know some folks love venison. I just take a cooler in and let everyone know there is meat there and they clean it out!

Lots of hungry mouths here in the US and meat is the most difficult thing for soup kitchens/food pantries to get and we as hunters can help.
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline VAFarmer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2009, 08:03:00 AM »
It is good that you are worried about this.  I have known some hunters who will take the animals life, and not have a plan for the meat.
What a shame.
It is alot of work, but you can turn venison into GREAT jerky.  It keeps forever like this.  I take some into the office, and people can't stop eating.  Donating to a church (after it is processed)is a great choice.  Check with your neighbors, usually someone will know someone who can use/likes the meat.

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2009, 08:09:00 AM »
Will a small effort you will not have any issues finding someone who will be happy to have the meat.

Feeding the hungry is a great thing...!

Check with your state fish & game for info regarding sharing the harvest.

John III
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2009, 08:44:00 AM »
Kentucky has a "Hunters for the Hungry" program. The program pays for butchering processor fees. We just drop the deer off and they process them and take them to the soup kitchens.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Online J. Cook

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2009, 08:57:00 AM »
We have it mapped out that 4 deer a year, meets our needs perfectly.  We literally eat deer for a meal almost every week.  I really enjoy giving some prime meat or even cooking some up for friends that have never tried venison.  So we have a chest freezer in the garage just for venison.

A soup kitchen or Hunter's for the Hungry is a great option!
"Huntin', fishin', and lovin' every day!"

Offline Shane_Thomas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2009, 09:34:00 AM »
A while back I had a similar problem. I found a subdivision with a pig problem and the HOA gave me permission to hunt there. Personally, I have a big big problem with killing anything that's not hurting me or that I'm not going to use somehow. So I also was concerned about what to do with the dead hogs.

My solution was to offer to donate the meat to a big cat rescue close by. I sent this.

Hi. I was told about your operation by a friend of mine who has
volunteered there.

I do a lot of feral hog hunting and have been asked by a local
subdivision to help them with their hog infestation. I can only eat
so much pork and I really really hate to kill anything that I am not
going to use in some way. I was wondering if your faclity would be
interested in the meat from these hogs. Generally I could bring them
to you gutted but otherwise intact. Barring special circumstances it
would be within a few hours of being killed as you are o the way home from where I will be hunting.

If you are interested please let me know

Thank You
Shane XXXXXXX
I can only imagine how much it costs to keep lions and cheetahs fed so I figured they'd appreciate the free meat.

NOT SO, apparantly it, like our local animal rescue operation, is ran by tree hugging PETA retards!.

I got this in return.

XXXXXX XXXXXX does not support the killing of animals for sport or as a form of recreation. We feel that communities should learn to live in harmony with the enviroment surrounding them.

Sincerely
XXXXXXXXXXXX

No concept of reality....................none at all!

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2009, 09:43:00 AM »
Maybe they would have let you trap the pigs and turn them in with the cats....Let them live in harmony.lol.RC

Offline trapperDave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2009, 09:45:00 AM »
I dont kill anything I (&/or my family)aint gonna eat.

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2009, 09:52:00 AM »
All good suggestions. I usually give some away to extended family members. Not because I don't want that much but rather because I know they like it as well. The last few years venison has become much more tasty to me, I suppose because I have become a better cook. Also, I can't seem to make enough jerky. It goes quickly.

One recipe I discovered was to take 1 lb of ground venison and mix it with 1 lb of Jimmy dean pure pork sausage,(hot). It makes a great breakfast sausage. My wife generally does not care for venison, but since I started making this, she prefers it to bacon for breakfast.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline Gehrke145

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2009, 09:53:00 AM »
I shot 10 deer a year plus in Wi, and normally shoot a deer, and 2 elk a year, plus a bear and maybe a few pigs.  I've never had a problem using the meat.  A few family get togethers and bringing some into work and it goes fast.  Plus if you make sauage and hambeger it seems to go faster!

Offline GMMAT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2009, 09:56:00 AM »
I have a fmaily of THIRTEEN that I donate 3 or so deer to/yr.  When I made the switch to trad....I knew that might be a tough bill to fill.  So I asked around and got one of my wheelie buddies on board to help.  We're set.

We'll eat 3 NC whitetails in my household.  My landowners and friedns will eat 2.  I've been fortunate to have taken 21 whitetails the last 3 seasons.  It's all eaten and my processor donates his services to the family I give venison to.  Win-win.

Offline Rusty Arrow15

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2009, 10:08:00 AM »
I'll take it elkbreath.

I might even make some jerky for you.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©