3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: T.B.M. letter by Rosey Roseland  (Read 427 times)

Offline longbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
T.B.M. letter by Rosey Roseland
« on: August 25, 2009, 09:21:00 AM »
Did any of you read this letter?  I guess all I'm going to say is I was glad to see it.  I'm on the same page with him and after receiving my special catalog with my new magazine I'm amazed that there's anybody out there that would go that far and pay that much for anything that's supposed to be a "traditional" sport.  Just an opinion and we all know what opinions are like and everybody has one.

Offline longbow55

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: T.B.M. letter by Rosey Roseland
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2009, 09:56:00 AM »
Thought if was fitting, that his letter and the ABS magazine came together. Glad to hear a $5.00 dollar broadhead can kill as good as a $22.00 broadhead. "keep'em sharp"
I always hit where I'm aiming, but rarely where I'm looking.

Offline Jeff Sample

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 10:04:00 AM »
It was long overdue, in my opinion!
Jeff
Give me oysters and beer, for dinner every day of the year and I'll feel fine – Jimmy Buffett

Offline Peckerwood

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009, 10:34:00 AM »
I agree with both sides. I am sure that the old tried and true broadheads have accounted for more game on the pole ( but not as much as stone heads). I also think we should consider Dr Ashby's research on penetration. We as a trad community cannot dismiss new things because they are new or expensive. Some people shoot $1000 bows and drive Hummers. They are not necessities but choices. We are lucky we have so many choices in Traditional archery.

Go with what works for you.

Bill
NO matter where you go there you  are !

Offline SHOOTO8S

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2009, 10:43:00 AM »
I continue to be surprised by the near outrage some folks exhibit over how someone else spends THEIR money.
2004 IBO World Champion

Offline northener

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2009, 11:00:00 AM »
He (Rosey) makes a good point, often overlooked these days in our ever ending search for improvement.

Keep them sharp and hit where your aiming is more important than bone splitting power for most game. This is not intended to belittle Dr Ashby's work by any means which is still needed and welcome.
Intellectuals solve problem, geniuses prevent them

Offline longbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2009, 11:03:00 AM »
Shooto8s,  I have no outrage just amazement.  I've been very blessed in my life financially and still can't imagine some of this stuff.  I guess I was just reading Rosey's letter and it made me stop and think about where we've gone. Like Peckerwood said it's good we have so many choices but are they really any better or just something else to make people think they are?  Like I said, this my opinion and was just looking to see what others thought.

Offline SHOOTO8S

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2009, 11:20:00 AM »
LBM...Being somewhat of a "tightwad" myself, I've never had to own the most expensive, or current must have....but how someone else chooses to spend their own money,is their concern, not mine....with the tremendous amount of cash spent on various destructive vices, in this country and abroad....expensive broadheads and hunting products, are pretty harmless, wouldn't you say?
2004 IBO World Champion

Offline Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2009, 11:31:00 AM »
In the same issue, Dr Ashby clearly demonstrated why some states have made the expandable broadhead illegal for larger game.... and the individuals should reconsider their use. They are expensive too, but after all we have choices of other heads that work better like the ones mentioned by Rosey. Mike

Offline longbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2009, 01:01:00 PM »
Mike, that was a good article on the mechanical heads.  There are definitely other things out there much worse than an expensive "good" hunting head.  Shooto8s I'm not disagreeing with what you say at all.  I have lived in my own little world so much just using what works for me that opening that catalog was a heart grabber for me that's all.

Offline fyrfyter43

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2009, 01:21:00 PM »
I haven't read the letter yet, so maybe I'm missing something here. But the Grizzly El Grandes that I've used for quite a few years and that Dr. Ashby prefers are less than $5 per head. That's certainly not what I would call an expensive broadhead.
"In the joy of hunting is intimately woven the love of the great outdoors. The beauty of woods, valleys, mountains, and skies feeds the soul of the sportsman where the quest of game only whets his appetite." ~ Saxton Pope

Offline longbow55

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2009, 02:04:00 PM »
Zwickey has served me well the last 10 yrs, and I probally stick with them. If I ever have the oppertunity to hunt moose, griz or cape buffalo I might buy the Ashby BH. Shoot what flies true for your bow and what you have confidence in.
I always hit where I'm aiming, but rarely where I'm looking.

Offline Java Man

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2009, 02:15:00 PM »
You don't have to pay $30 a head to shoot single bevel broadheads.  I believe its the manufacturing process that makes some of them so expensive.  Would be the same price if double bevel.

I read Rosey's letter, and don't agree completely.  But then, I don't have enough "harvests" for my opnion to matter.  I'm convinced on a scientific basis, that the single bevel will give me some advantage if I don't make a perfect hit.  I'm an Engineer, I like science.

We've been down this road quite a few times in the last several months.  

Java Man
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline Joseph

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2009, 04:02:00 PM »
There is nothing at all in the letter refering to how someone chooses to spend their money!  Money isn't even mentioned.  The point I think Rosey was trying to make is that it seems like lately there are a lot of people with very little or limited experience saying you need a single bevel broadhead to kill a deer.  A lot of people that are new to traditional archery seem to be taking this as a given because of what they are reading, (marketing ploy)?  When Rosey refers to "him and his cronies" which included Paul Schafer whom he hunted with quite a bit, Don Thomas, Dick Robertson and many others and their experiences it takes in several hundred animals killed (I wouldn't be surprised if the total exceed 1000). Rosey alone has 30 years worth of successful hunts all over North America, a couple of trips to Africa and a hunt with Bill Baker on Melville Island for Asian Buffalo to base his opinions on about what constitutes an effective broadhead.  Do single bevel broadheads work, yes they do.  Are they necessary for hunting, no they are not.  Joseph
"Politicians are like diapers, they need to be changed often and for the same reason"

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2009, 04:19:00 PM »
I haven't read it yet, but if it's as Joseph describes...Ha-Lay-Loo-Ya!

Leave it to Rosey    :notworthy:

I was privileged enough 3 years ago to spend a night at his house with Peter I.....he is "the real deal"     :clapper:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline longarrow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2009, 04:52:00 PM »
Just read Rosey's letter  :D   I have shot about every traditional BH from ACE to "Z"...2 blades and 4 blades. Just purchased some of the "new" single bevels, can't at this point that I am impressed with them. But I do intend to give them a try on deer this season. I am and think (unless these things are something I haven't seen) I will always be a fan of bleeder blades, it just makes good sence.  I can remember only one deer in the past 5 years that my arrow didnot leave a entry AND exit hole. What more can you ask for? Shot placement, sharp BH, good arrow flight.  :knothead:
TGMM Family of the Bow

Live a Good Life! And in the end, it's not the number of years in your life...it's the LIFE in your years!!!

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2009, 05:45:00 PM »
The letter makes absolutely no mention of money or price at all. I think the original posters comment regarding cost was unrelated to the letter.

I enjoyed reading Mr. Roseland. It reminded me of when I was a little kid and took my hunter education class. I’d never hunted a day in my life, but thought I’d impress my grandfather—a man who’d been shooting archery and bowhunting for nearly 40 years—with my “extensive” knowledge of the subject.

God rest his soul, instead of verbally beating me into the ground (which I probably deserved) he just rolled his eyes, snickered and said, “You read too much.”

That being said, Joseph’s assessment of the letter is correct. It wasn’t about money, but rather about people who’ve never “been there, done that” telling people who’ve been around the proverbial block a few times that they basically don’t know what they’re doing.

Offline DennyK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2009, 06:32:00 PM »
I recieved the catalog with my TBM. I looked at the prices for products "Advanced Bowhunters Need" and threw it in the trash.  DennyK
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.

Offline Barney

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2009, 07:16:00 PM »
People have been re-inventing the "mouse trap" since the mouse trap was first invented. It'll never change. Kinda like different flavors of ice cream. Different for everyone.

As long as it's sharp and placed right, I think we're O.K.

On a side note......anyone heard when they're bringing out a single bevel "Karch Woodsman"?   :bigsmyl:

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2009, 07:42:00 PM »
So Anything now that is expensive is not traditional?     :rolleyes:     OH..bows and clothing are excluded, you can spend whatever on that

I can not wait to read this letter, someone post it please.
Aim down your arrow because thats where it's going.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©