3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Trail Camera Stolen  (Read 610 times)

Online snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Trail Camera Stolen
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2009, 05:20:00 PM »
I like the idea of putting a camera up pointed at the game camera. At least you can get pics of the thief. I'd use my treestand to get the second camera up high and concealed.
I've never understood why some think it is ok to take others stuff! I haven't experienced this...but did have my treestand taken when the area was logged! What a surprise when I walked in to hunt...no treestand...heck NO TREES!!!haha
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline coffee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2009, 05:24:00 PM »
I use a little electric engraver and put my name and phone# all over the stand.  I use the metal hang-on stands so it is pretty easy to do. I figure if someone is going to have to do a lot of work if they don't want someone to see my name. I also stopped investing in more expensive stands and bought the Baby Gorilla stands.If you watch the sales you can by them very cheap. Like $29.99! There are other good stands besides Gorilla.  I like the Gorilla's because they all come with a safety harness.  I don't know how the company makes money because I see the same type of harness sold for more than you pay for the stand. As a side note you can  give the extra harnesses to a kid or someone who needs one. They make great door prizes for your local club. While most of the stands that are made today are well made and have that archery safety trademark I would still be cautious especially if you are over 250lbs. Then get what will safely hold you regardless of cost. To date I have never had a stand stolen. Maybe I am just lucky. I have friends who have been victimized so I know the maggots are out there.  In the end I don't know what a guy can do but try to set a good example and talk to people especially young hunters about ethics and values.  I used to get bitter about this stuff and figured if I had a stand stolen that maybe I would back up a few steps and hope they try it in the dark or better yet wait for them and let them deal with a 53gr hollow point but this is all foolish thinking and talk. I would strongly suggest there are other ways using law enforcement, whatever, to catch these guys. One thing for sure is they are probably not to smart and will tell someone. Good luck and good hunting.

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2009, 06:14:00 PM »
BASS TURDS!

Offline razorsharptokill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2009, 06:26:00 PM »
Too bad there isn't an incindiary device in them that you can trigger from your cell phone! Like the old mission impossible show.. "should you choose to steal this camera, it will self destruct..... along with everything you own".

Sad state of affairs indeed.
Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
Oklahoma Army National Guard 88-89
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm
Oklahoma Air National Guard 2002- present. Operation Iraqi Freedom 2005(Qatar) and 2007(Iraq),
Operation New Dawn Iraq 2011,
Operation Enduring Freedom 2018 Afghanistan.
NRA Life Member.

Offline Coonbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2009, 07:19:00 PM »
I've had 3 treestands stolen from me over the last 10 years. Yes it really p sses you off getting out of bed and into the woods a half hour before it even thinks about getting light, and you think you've misplaced your tree. You don't want to scent up your hunting area by blindly stomping around looking up in every tree trying to figure out were the heck you hid the tree that you've been hunting out of for years. Then it hits you, that sick violated feeling. I'm always gratefull that I've never caught the dirt bags that do these things. My father always taught us that the LAWS always seem to protect the wrong, not the wronged. So, is losing the wright to see your family every day worth beating the bejesus out of some piece of (poop).
But wouldn't it be a hoot!!
GLENN MOYER

Offline Curtiss Cardinal

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2009, 07:30:00 PM »
When I used to live in Michigan I went out to my stand on my brother-in-law's property at 05:30 and found someone in it. It was bow season, October 10, 1999 and he was sitting in my Baby Grand with a shotgun. He yelled when I hit him with the flashlight beam. I shut it off quick and just backed out of there and went down the street to a local diner and got a cop to come back with me. He called DNR enforcement and we all went in together. He was gone but he had took a dump in my stand seat as a goodbye. They saw him in the distance and went after him. I told them I'd identify him if they caught him but If I went with him he'd get a Snuffer in the guts. When they caught him he said he was hunting woodducks in the flooded field(still part of my brother in laws land) but when they checked his shotgun it was loaded with slugs. He was arrested, lost his shotgun and hunting rights for 5 years. He got fined for trespassing and defacing private property.
I had my entire storage unit emptied by thieves with a bolt cutter and a rental truck. All my camping gear, treestands, some archery collectables including a 1960s Pearson boxed bow and arrow set and 3 Bear Bows from the 50s and 60s as well as a lot of funiture and electronics and appliances and clothes. I HATE THIEVES! I work too hard for my money to just have someone take it. I bet you all do too. Bat Rastards!
It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare. ~Mark Twain
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline razorsharptokill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2009, 11:52:00 PM »
MAkes you wonder why a person like that even bothers to go into the woods! Why do they hunt?!?Wouldn't it just be easier for them to go to the super market and steal their own supper! Not funny I know.. but you have to wonder why they do stuff like that.
Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
Oklahoma Army National Guard 88-89
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm
Oklahoma Air National Guard 2002- present. Operation Iraqi Freedom 2005(Qatar) and 2007(Iraq),
Operation New Dawn Iraq 2011,
Operation Enduring Freedom 2018 Afghanistan.
NRA Life Member.

Online Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2009, 09:25:00 AM »
My archery club just had 5 new ladder stands stolen out of our storage trailer. I've had a few stands stolen over the years. Now i use a wedgelock treestand in the areas where i know they might get stolen. I put out the cheap wildview trail camera since i don't want mine stolen. My friend had a cuddleback stolen that he bolted into the tree. The thieves had to actually cut down the small tree and take that peice with him to steal it. I hate slob hunters and thieves.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline Morning Star

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2009, 09:41:00 AM »
Though one of my dreams is to catch someone up the tree just applying the bolt cutters to one of my stands......

You really have to be careful with these maggots.  You have some junkhead pukes that know there is stuff to be had in the timber, and steal just to support their habits.

I'd watch for your stuff on your local auction sites.  These are idiots......and many are stupid enough to list the stolen items locally.
Iowa Bowhunters Association - Your voice in Iowa's bowhunting and deer hunting issues!

Online snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2009, 01:03:00 PM »
Originally posted by razorsharptokill:
[QB] Too bad there isn't an incindiary device in them that you can trigger from your cell phone! Like the old mission impossible show.. "should you choose to steal this camera, it will self destruct..... along with everything you own".

:clapper:  I like that idea Jim! Or how about when someone robs a bank and they open the bag and they get sprayed with ink that won't wash off! Then you'd know who they are!
There used to be an old Irish toast that went something like this..."Lord turn the hearts of our enemies; if their hearts won't turn, then turn their ankles...at least we will spot them coming by their limp!"
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline Maxflight

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2009, 12:58:00 PM »
Had a fella who lived near by (can't call him a neighbor for the same reason ya can't call him a hunter) steal my brother-in-law's stand. We knew it who it was because we followed the tracks in the snow over a half mile to within 100yds. of his house. Naturally he denied it when confronted. Had to  talk my b-i-l out of doing anything that would put him in handcuffs.

Couple of days later, sister who caters, had about 2 gallons of baked beans left over and wanted everyone to take some. I told her I would take it all. See this same fella has a big Lab that runs the neighborhood and poops in everybody else's yard. The next morning I dumped all the beans in the upper corner of my property somewhere near the dog's normal route. Later that afternoon I drove by the guy's house and saw a mattress leaned against the garage, sheets and blankets hung over his fence, and the dog tied outside (which nobody had ever seen before or since).

Ahh, sweet revenge.
The measure of a man is by his actions, not his words.

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2009, 11:56:00 AM »
Amazing! So stupid he stole something in tracking snow!!
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline JL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2009, 01:14:00 PM »
Yea, well, doesn't suprise me. These folks airn't exactly PHD's...

I recently starting hunting public land and I pack my stand in and out, every time. I really sucks but if you want to keep ahold of your stuff these days, you better keep it close by. Even putting stuff under lock and key just keeps the honest people honest.

I keep a deer cart under my camper at deer camp. We stopped by camp last week on our way home from a trip and sure enough, the cart was pulled out from under the camper. They didn't know I chained it to the axle. Had a feeling it would walk if I didn't lock it down. Heck, really didn't know if the chain would keep it in place.

I just have the mentality that if I can't afford to replace the item, it goes home with me.

It also has kept me from putting cameras out. I just know they will walk in no time.

Hope you get your cameras back and catch the guy who stole them.

JL
Practice like you are the worst, shoot like you are the best...

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2009, 02:42:00 PM »
how many people have been actually caught stealing treestands and cameras ? I am wondering what the punishment is if they make it to court?
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2009, 02:48:00 PM »
In this State, it would be Grand Larceny. Don't know the penalty, never been there.    :)
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2009, 02:57:00 PM »
Poor dog. You should have fed the beans to the owner! Dogs only do what they are trained,or lack there of, to do.

Not sure about the law, but I believe grand larceny has a money value attached to it. Not to certain someone will get grand larceny for stealing a $100.00 treestand. Unfortunately our courts are so packed full they don't mess too much with issues like these. A small fine would probably be the most anyone woud get. It's a shame, but it's our great legal system. The criminals have too many rights!!!
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2009, 03:12:00 PM »
Catching a thief and then reacting within reason is worth the cost of bail... Your going to spend the money anyway at least enjoy it.

Rotten damn thieves...

John III
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2009, 08:35:00 AM »
Just a friendly reminder to everyone.

If you do happen to have something such as a treestand stolen, and have proof of who did it/still has your property...DO NOT attempt to retrieve your property without law enforcement.

This goes double if you catch them in the act of stealing your son`s new moto-cross helmet off the seat of your pick-up.

If you happen to catch a thief in the act, the RIGHT, JUST, and CORRECT, thing to do is NOT LEGAL. The thief will go home that night, and YOU will NOT!!!  :D

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2009, 09:13:00 AM »
Sounds like the voice of experience, Bonebuster. A sad state of affairs.

In the news in MS this week was a story about a group of concerned citizens who gathered together and did a door-to-door search for a burglar. The way I heard it, they caught him, turned him over to the police apparently unhurt, and now this group of well-meaning citizens is now being investigated by the State Attorney General and the FBI. Yes, the FBI!! The burglar was released the custody of his father.

Grand Larceny does have a money amount tied to it here. I don't know what's current, but I'm sure that many stands and cameras would qualify.

Offline Ia Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2009, 03:42:00 PM »
Found some trespassers trail cam set-up on private property which I'm the only one with hunting rights. Danced in front of it,gave him some finger signs etc.I tried to use up all his film (?)by moving in and out of picture, etc.I never touched his set-up, but left him a nasty note. Went back a few days later and the cam was gone. Never saw him during the season.
Would I have been justified to take the cam and give it to the land owner? He ailready told me to take down or leave a note for any stand,etc. I find.I just leave  a warning  note.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©