3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Couple BH questions.....  (Read 377 times)

Offline GMMAT

• Trad Bowhunter
Couple BH questions.....
« on: August 26, 2009, 09:46:00 AM »
1.  Do you guys orient your BH's (not with your fletch....but they could be done this way) so that you have the exact same sight picture for every shot?  Do you feel like this is an aid?

2.  If you do this....with screw in BH's (or adaptors)....do you just use a "spacer" or o-ring?

Thanks.

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Couple BH questions.....
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2009, 09:51:00 AM »
I don't index broadheads. I can't tell a difference in the way they fly and the sight picture is not an issue for me.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2009, 10:05:00 AM »
No

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2009, 10:33:00 AM »
I used to. I still do with glue-ons. I prefer vertical with 2-blades and i use to orient 3-blade with the fletch. Just liked consistency more then anything else I quess.
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline GMMAT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2009, 10:41:00 AM »
How did you achieve it with screw ins (3 blade)?

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2009, 11:50:00 AM »
When I used hot melt I would heat up a field pt that was screwed in and pull out the insert. Then I would screw the bh into the insert, re-heat and apply glue then insert with the bh oriented the way I wanted.
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2009, 11:51:00 AM »
I'm very particular about how my heads are orientated.  I like the consistency but in all honesty its mostly due to being a 3 under shooter and not wanting any interference in my sight picture.

All my 3 blades are orientated with the top blade at about 1 o'clock (I'm right handed).  All my 2 blades are at 2 o'clock/8 o'clock, which is the same orientation I use for the main blade on 4 blade heads.  My accuracy is better without the distraction of the blades so for me it is worth doing.

I use mostly glue on heads so obviously I orientate them when gluing them onto the shaft or adapter.  Jeff, for a dedicated screw in head the one of the best ways to move them is to rotate your insert with the head already cinched down so you can get it where you want it.

Orientating your heads is certainly optional, if you  want to do it there's no reason not to, but you certainly don't  have to.
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2009, 12:03:00 PM »
I have done it both ways indexed and not. I did not see any difference period either way. At trad archery speeds I don't believe it is as big an issue. As for sight picture no issues as I'm looking at my target spot not the arrow.
hunt it

Offline BEN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2009, 12:29:00 PM »
I use a  few twists of dental floss around the threads if I have a main blade that is just in the way pf my flight pic. Never had a prob. with any coming loose this way.
Ben
M.O.A.B  54# Thunderstick
Ancient Spirits 62# "Thunderhawk"
Browning Wasp 45#

"VEGETARIAN"----Old Indian word for "BAD HUNTER".

Offline acolobowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2009, 12:35:00 PM »
I have always installed my BH's in the horz. position.  My eye doesn't see the blade when drawing.  It also keeps the blade from cutting my hand in case it would fall off the shelf.  
Been doing this for over 30 yrs.  Probably does not make any difference.  A person just gets into a habit of doing things the same way.

Offline GMMAT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2009, 01:22:00 PM »
From my old compound days....I had several o-rings laying around.

They work perfect to allow you to tighten and orient your BH's.  I didn't really care HOW they were oriented.  I just wanted them all oriented the same.

Case closed.  They are, now.

Thanks for your thoughts.  I still may end up re-heating the hot melt and doing it "more" permanent.

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2009, 01:23:00 PM »
3-blades with the feathers.  Old compound vane thing.  Two or four I like the big blade horizontal.  I think it is maybe a little more forgiving on release, and if vertical I notice it in my field of vision;  I don't like any changes to what I see or clutter in my line of site ever though I don't gap.  I still think the subconscious uses visual references when shooting, and any change messes with that.  I use hot melt.  If using more permanent adhesive I line them up with the broad head when I glue them in; you want to do that to spin test anyway.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2009, 01:25:00 PM »
I do like my zwickeys vertical, just to minimize the head in my sight picture, it doesnt seem to make any diffrence in flight, like acolobowhunter just been doin it for over 30 years this way, I mainly shoot aluminum so just heat the shaft by the insert and turn it as desired, and on wood its obvious..
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Offline Bill Tell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2009, 08:50:00 PM »
For my screw in broad heads I use cheepo nylon washers.  They squish enough you can tighten them down to were you want them.  They don't really change the weight of your set up either.
"I'm going to find my direction magnetically. " Eddie Vedder

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2009, 09:19:00 PM »
Go to Lowe's or Home Depot plumbing section and look at the "O" rings. One of them is very small and fits snugly on the shank of a screw in bh. You can tighten down your heads and back off enough to align them the way you would like. That is what I do for my Razorcaps. You can buy the "O" rings from archery sites but they will cost you much less at one of the lumber outlets.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2009, 09:23:00 PM »
Ditto on the O rings.Most truevalue hardware stores have them.

I put the wide simmons horizontal so they don't block my veiw.Smaller heads and 3 blades I don't ever worry about how the wind up.
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline Doug in MN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2009, 09:32:00 PM »
Have put the 2 blades on in the horizontal for as long as I can remember, just because maybe some one 40 years ago said that was the way.

The Snuffers I just glue on with out any thought at all, I just checked they are all glued on in every position I can think of. Never remember thinking about it but they fly well and work.

DD

Offline idahobeartrax

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2009, 11:02:00 AM »
Since some of the responses note theories from the old days, here is one more...."mount your two-blades vertically, that way they will pass between the ribs." I never bought that theory,  arrows rotate even with straight fletch. My 2 and 4 blades are mounted with the main blade in line with the cock feather. They would be horizontal if I didn't cant my bow.

As for performance, I don't believe there is any difference in the mounting orientation of heads..... but when it comes to sight window, consistency is important. I don't say that as a gap shooter, I am one of those wrong eye dominant guys who only screws things up if he consciously looks at his arrow. BUT, if I don't mount all of my heads the same, it 'wigs me out' when I come to draw with one that is different. Even pure instinctive shooters see the arrow with their peripheral vision. No one needs or wants any distraction when they have an animal in front of them. So, figure out a way to mount your heads consistently (I do the hotmelt thing) and practice with them so you are used to the sight window.
"Best of all he loved the fall..." Hemingway's epitaph

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2009, 12:13:00 PM »
I have always mounted 2 blades or the main blades of 4 blades,horizontally.The theory was the broadhead has less chance to steer the arrow as it starts into paradox.

I don't know if it matters but I still do them that way as I'm used to that sight picture.OL Adcock suggests at least orienting them all the same and I believe he prefers horizontal.

I spent way to much time putting my arrows together,getting components to match in weight,tuned to the bow etc to have broadheads cocked in every direction.When I'm assembling broadheads and adaptors,it's a simple matter to orient them before spim testing.

I went a step farther and with an engraving tool,put a number on each broadhead and adjacent to it on the shaft,the same number.I have an aluminum external footing on the front of the carbon shaft and that makes a good place to put the number.

This way if I want to take several broadheads off and install judos,etc,it is a simple matter to get them back on the right arrow that the were oriented for and spin tested on.

I like the idea of getting the equipment consistent.Then if things aren't working right,I don't have to guess if it is the arrow,the bow,or me.It's me.

The "O" ring sounds like a great idea,especially for 3 blades.I would think it would help keep heads from unscrewing also.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©