3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: One man's mindset on bowhunting  (Read 280 times)

Offline Stix

• Trad Bowhunter
One man's mindset on bowhunting
« on: August 26, 2009, 03:18:00 PM »
This is something an old hunter, who taught me how to still-hunt told me. It's helped me be successful in SEEING game. Hopefully it will do the same for you.....

You need a change of mindset, a total mind transformation once you enter the woods. You must now be an equal part of the surroundings. Act, move, and think like you you belong there. Like the trees, and animals. Everything is moving slowly and gracefully. Taking time to examine everything around you. Chipmunks, Squirrels, birds and mammals. You should be able to see and be aware of and UNDERSTAND everything that is happening around you. Remember you are a part of the surroundings, you belong there. You are a tree, a squirrel, a bird, a deer. Do not play the role of predator. At this point you are not. You are just a normal part of the woods, and the other creatures perceive you as that. This attitude will enable you to be in tune with all creatures. Get within a sensible range. After this has occurred, then you gently nock an arrow, pick a spot, concentrate and release. But only if you are so lucky to have the opportunity. Remember you are the woods. You are not a killer. You are a woodsman. And a woodsman does not kill, he provides using his skills. Providing is a bonus. Time in the field being one with your surroundings is the real prize. Cheers! My brothers and sisters.
Stix

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: One man's mindset on bowhunting
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2009, 03:25:00 PM »
Steve I like how that old hunter thinks. Sounds a lot like how my dad has taught me.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2009, 06:03:00 PM »
Someone once said, "The difference between knowledge and wisdom is knowing and doing." When we set foot into the woods it becomes the time to slow down and remember to hunt with our minds as much as our bodies. Stalking and still hunting is a true art. I wouldn't hunt any other way. Had many, many almosts with Trad Gear but I'm still at it.

Gotta Love This Stuff!

... mike ...  :archer:  ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2009, 06:10:00 PM »
In the last 40 years I've killed dozens of deer with bow and arrow all but one from a treestand.  Last year I shot a large doe from a pine bough ground blind I built.  The thrill of that one doe superceded all of the other kills.  I can't imagine stalking a deer, getting a shot and connecting on one.  That would for me be the ultimate thrill.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2009, 07:03:00 PM »
Sounds like a hunter who knew how how to hunt. More folks should read these words, their time afeild would be greatly enriched.......
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline jrbows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2009, 07:52:00 PM »
Sounds like he doesn't have his own TV show, what a pity.
SAVE A STUMP SHOOT A DEER

Offline sweeney3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2009, 08:07:00 PM »
If he had his own tv show, no one would watch it because he wouldn't allow the stupid rock band to follow him around in the woods.
Silence is golden.

Offline Maxflight

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2009, 04:33:00 PM »
Like Ferret, my father taught me to still hunt. In fact crawling up in a tree to hunt was not looked on kindly around our neck of the woods. I have been successful out of a tree and sitting in a tree can be enjoyable (for about 3 hours), but like Reddogge said, you can't beat the Tingle Factor of taking any deer from the ground. Mine last year was at 5 yds. after enduring 3 or 4 minutes (seemed like an eternity) of head bobbing, foot stamping scrutiny before she decided I was just an odd shaped bush. Gotta love them Ghillie suits.
The measure of a man is by his actions, not his words.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©