3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: In the universe of durable arrows/shafts, . . .  (Read 230 times)

Offline Naphtali

• Trad Bowhunter
In the universe of durable arrows/shafts, . . .
« on: August 26, 2009, 05:03:00 PM »
I'm convinced there will be no internally footed carbon shaft arrows commercially manufactured in the foreseeable future. I shoot a recurve with 48-pound draw @ 27.5 inches and 220-grain broadhead. In the universe of shafts -- carbon, Kevlar®, fiberglass, laminated wood, various woods, aluminum -- have there been any rigorous tests to identify the most durable shaft sufficiently accurate for accurate 40-yard shooting with my draw weight and my broadhead's weight? If tests have occurred, what's the skinny?

If no tests have occurred, is there any anecdotal consensus on two or three generally accepted "most durable" shafts?
It’s so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don’t say it. Sam Levinson

Offline capt eddie

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: In the universe of durable arrows/shafts, . . .
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2009, 05:29:00 PM »
I hear the AD Hammerhead is now a internally footed carbon shaft.  I hope so I just bought a dozon.
capt eddie

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: In the universe of durable arrows/shafts, . . .
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2009, 05:46:00 PM »
I can say that the Axis FMJ shafts are extra tough.  I shoot a 68 inch Wes Wallace Longbow and have a 30.5 inch draw.  I am shooting axis 340 shafts at full length with 175 grain head and 125 grain insert for 300 gr up front at 155 fps.  Needless to say the arrows hit with a real thump!  The other day on the 3D range,  I shot an arrow low and hit the rebar supporting a 3D deer.  The hit flattened the field point tip into a blunt.  It blew the nock out the back of the shaft.  No damage of any kind could be found on the shaft.  On another day I Robinhooded one of my arrows.  It sheared the nock and managed to spit the shaft for 1/16th of an inch.  I don't know of any other arrow that you can robin hood and not totally destroy.  I trimmed the damaged section and use the arrow as my metal target arrow at 3D shoots.  It still shoots the exact same as the full length arrows.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©