3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 3Rivers great northern feather grinding jig ???  (Read 438 times)

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
3Rivers great northern feather grinding jig ???
« on: August 26, 2009, 06:36:00 PM »
I have a question for you that own one of these. On the spindle there looks to be a rubber wheel that rides on the wooden jig while grinding.

Question: Does this have a bearing in it that allows the wheel to ride on the jig while the sanding drum does its job? Also is there a max rated RPM for this unit?

I was thinking of using my router table, with router on low speed, instead of buying a new drill press.
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Offline Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: 3Rivers great northern feather grinding jig ???
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2009, 07:03:00 PM »
The rubber wheel is free turning. don't know about the max rpm, but I bet your router table would work. very well put togather product. I have no complaints with mine except I can't get my wife to grind and chop my feathers. Don Batten
"The older I get, the better I was" Byron Fergenson.

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2009, 07:41:00 PM »
I would suggest installing a switch in your router that would allow you to turn down the speed. Routers generally run a lot faster than I would suggest spinning that sanding drum.

I use the same sander (Robo Sander) with a home made jig. Chucked in my drill press, I usually run it at mid speed.

Offline dino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2009, 08:15:00 PM »
Routers spin too fast for that.  I've burnt a few feathers by having my drill press set at too high a speed and it would burn the quill instead of grinding it.  Like Jason said, you might be able to get a switch to turn it down to a slower speed, but they generally operate at too high a speed. dino
"The most demanding thing you can ask of a piece of wood is for it to become an arrow shaft. You reduce it to the smallest of dimension yet ask it to remain it's strongest, straightest and most durable." Bill Sweetland

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2009, 08:23:00 PM »
Thanks guys.

Humm never thought about burning the feather i just thought i would burn out the bearing on the sanding wheel.

Ill see what i can rig up   :saywhat:   or i may just have to break down and buy a bench top drill press, they have some cheep ones out there for 60 to 80$
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©