3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Anybody recognize this bowhunter?  (Read 1026 times)

Offline jeff w

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Anybody recognize this bowhunter?
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2009, 07:32:00 PM »
Seems way too cheap to me.   Beautiful work!

Offline MJB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2009, 08:38:00 PM »
OUTSTANDING CRAFTSMANSHIP    :thumbsup:  Please add me to your list.
A Gobbler yelp Spring or Fall is a long conversation.

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2009, 08:56:00 PM »
THAT IS AWESOME!!!    :clapper:   I would pay $75 for one without hesitation. How big are they?

Offline Mo. Huntin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2009, 09:03:00 PM »
That is AWESOME!  The detail on that deer especialy is unbelievable.  I am really tight with my money but I would pay $75 for sure.  You are going to make a lot of money doing that.  How big is it? How long does it take you to make one?

Offline Pennsyltuckey pete

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2009, 09:16:00 PM »
Hooked

That is artwork!  Worth MUCH MUCH more!  Don't sell yourself short!  I know how much time went in to that. If you take a look at your time you are probably at less than $ 1.00 or $2.00 an hour for $75.

just my $.02

Even cheap, cheap guys like me would pay $72.50 for one of those!
Love one woman, Many Bows

Offline Hooked

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2009, 09:59:00 PM »
Easy now fellas! LOL! I haven't even decided for sure that I want to do this!

Thanks for all the great responses!  It appears there is certainly some demand if I decide to take the plunge.

Let's see:
I have been told I should charge anywhere from $75 to $1000!  

It has also been suggested to me to do one commissioned piece at a time and list them on that auction site, then folks can work out the price so I don't have to worry about whether I am charging enough or too much!

This one has taken a couple of weeks to do.  Working on it in the evenings and some on the weekend.  Just did a little figuring and I have worked on it atleast 40 hours and I still have a little touch up work to do.  So Pete is right, less than $2 an hour.

That being said, I am not doing it to make a living, but because I like to.  But I also need to make sure it doesn't become so much work it is not any fun anymore.  Also, I don't know that I will get any faster at making them because each project will be new and I will want to make them perfect!

In answer to a couple other questions:  

I need a good quality photo, preferably digital.  Though not required.  The important thing is the photo because I will be doing my best to make it look just like the photo.

This plaque is about 10.5 x 13.  Though the bark-on plaques can vary quite a bit.  I have another with nothing on it yet that is 9 x 13. The picture portion of this plaque is about 8 x 7.5.

Also, what I was thinking was I would have a set price for exactly what I did for Danny.  Him and his animal.  If someone wanted something different we could work out a price for it.  Like bigger or more carving.  An extreme case might be the one I did for Pinecone:

or the one for Greywolf:

"But, the bestest doctor of all is God!"  Katie Jones (7 years old)

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2009, 10:14:00 PM »
Very impressive.  At first I thought it was a laser etching.  Nice idea.

Offline Mo. Huntin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2009, 10:14:00 PM »
Yeah I agree I think you could make a whole lot more money and if I where you I most definatly would charge more because I know there are plenty of people out there that would pay it.

Offline LC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2009, 10:29:00 PM »
Well lots to think about here and it sounds like you already know! Yes the real value is around $1000. Will you sell alot at that price, probably not, but  that depends on you and how you go about marketing it and you'll probably spend most of that $1000 on marketing.  And yes it will become "work" whether you charge $75 or $1000. Been there done that. Good luck with what ever you decide. Bottom line is do your really really enjoying doing it even if it becomes work or would you rather do it as a hobby and make some fun money to spend on more bowhunting?  Beautiful work though!
Most people get rich by making more money than they have needs, me, I just reduced my needs!

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2009, 10:40:00 PM »
yip id be interested
... when you taking orders?    :)
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline justin ammons

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2009, 12:17:00 AM »
heck yes!!!
Pr. 3:5-6

Offline Hooked

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2009, 10:27:00 AM »
Well...I think I am finished with Danny and his buck.  Here are the final pics.  I will keep looking at it for a few days to see if I notice anything that I want to change.

Offline Hooked

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2009, 11:18:00 AM »
I have had alot of questions about size, so here is a pic that should help.  That is a standard 8.5 x 11 piece of paper.

In response to some pm's I have received:

The plaque in the pics is about 10.5 by 13. The bark-on plaques can vary a little in width. For example, I have another that is only 9 inches wide.

I am still trying to determine a fair price. Based on feedback from other artists I should charge at minimum $300. But I am thinking I may do a few at a lower price just to get my feet wet and see if I like doing custom orders like this.

I want to charge enough that I feel like it is worth my time, but not so much that the average person can't afford it.

Currently, I am thinking I will take 3 orders at the following price, then reevaluate.

for a design similar to the one in the pic:

woodburning of head shot of hunter and animal on a bark-on plaque or a frameable 8 x 10 piece of Italian Poplar Plywood (frame not included). $125

for the shallow relief carving I did on this piece where I basically just create a few different levels (will have to be on the bark-on wood or a basswood plaque with adequate thickness). add $25

If the pic is a full body shot of animal and/or hunter. add $75 (this would increase the amount of work significantly)

If there is more than one animal or Person in the shot. add $75 for each additional

If you want something bigger or with more carving involved a price can be worked out.

Email me a pic of what you had in mind. I will take a look and play with it some in photoshop then email you back what I came up with and what I would charge. If you want me to do it, then I will request you pay me half up front and half when I am done but before I deliver it.

Also, once I get started, assume it will take a month for me to complete. I just do this in the evenings and weekends around work and family events. I will keep you updated with pics as I work on it.

So, First come first served!  First 3 I get emails from with digital pics, I will email back what I come up with and a price.  If you want to move forward, you will need to send me a deposit of half the price we agreed on before I start the project.  If not, then I will move on to the next received email.  [email protected]

Offline Maxflight

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2009, 12:48:00 PM »
I'll give ya $100 and that's my final offer.   :bigsmyl:
The measure of a man is by his actions, not his words.

Offline elkbreath

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2009, 04:39:00 PM »
sheesh, i thought it'd cost way more than that..  My first thought was, I wish I could afford one.  Now it turns out I could!  Very interested.  I'd like to get one for my buddy's monster bull he'll be shooting in a couple of weeks..;-)

nice work!
77# @ 29.5 r/d longbow homer
80# @ 29.5 GN super Ghost

Offline Missouri Sherpa

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2009, 05:49:00 PM »
I like your work.  You might consider getting a table at the Iowa Deer Classic and displaying some of your work. I suggest the Iowa Deer Classic because it is one of the premier events of that kind of venue with a large concentration of attendees that would be your ideal target audience for customers. (disclaimer: I have no $ interests in the Ia Classic)  Put a $500 price tag on it and offer % off discount show special.  You would find out real quick if how much interest you have and the value of your work.  You would then have a good idea of how to adjust your price.  More than likely you will get enough orders to keep you as busy as you want to be.

Offline Pinecone

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2009, 07:17:00 PM »
Absolutely stunning work, Chip!  Just beautiful!

Claudia
Pinecone

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2009, 07:19:00 PM »
Very nice work.  If you offer one for the Tradgang St Jude's auction next year I am sure it will be a big hit.
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline pete p

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2009, 07:25:00 PM »
absolutely awesome.  id start your buisness if i were you....i have some pics id like to have done!

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2009, 10:45:00 PM »
WOW!!!     :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©