3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Need some fauna/flora education  (Read 332 times)

Offline longbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
Need some fauna/flora education
« on: August 27, 2009, 09:08:00 AM »
Please, please don't let this post be controversial!! I'm just asking an honest question.  Also in the new TBM on page 17 within that article the author mentions huge marijuana plants in the field he's hunting?  Is this a name for a plant native to Nebraska other than the "smoking" kind or is this something legal in the state?

Offline Jim Jackson

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Need some fauna/flora education
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, 09:15:00 AM »
There are lots of members of the hemp family and Ditchweed is a common name for what the author was referring to.  It is really common in the upper midwest.  It doesn't contain significant amounts of THC, so it can't do anything to a person.
Blaze out your own trail.

Offline rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 09:17:00 AM »
It grows wild.  There have been articles about it as far back as 1971 in Outdoor Life by Joel Vance.  It is spread by the birds.
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline longbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2009, 09:26:00 AM »
Thank you very much for the information.  Around here the poor author would have already been arrested!

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009, 09:33:00 AM »
Several years ago, a farmer grew some Kanaf (Hibiscus cannabinus) on State Game lands here in Delaware.  One of the game wardens called it in as a field of marijuana.  

Kanaf stalks are used for engineered wood, insulation, clothing-grade cloth, fibre boards, oil and liquid absorbent material, soil-less potting mixes, animal bedding, packing material, fiber for blending with resins for plastic composites, as a drilling fluid loss preventative for oil drilling muds, for a seeded hydromulch, as seeded grass mats for instant lawns and moldable mats for manufactured parts and containers.  The Kenaf seed oil is also used for cosmetics, industrial lubricants and for biofuel production.

Needless to say we all had a field day with the agents mistake.
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline PowDuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2009, 09:35:00 AM »
No accusations intended - I promise!! It just caught my warped sense of humor that the first reply to your post, and the guy who wrote a very intelligent answer about the hemp plant was STONEY.  :saywhat:  
   :biglaugh:    :biglaugh:
Romans 8:28

Offline Jim Jackson

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2009, 10:10:00 AM »
Stoney as in "stonepoint" not "stoner"...    :)  

You'd figure a high school teacher should know better than to pick that for an avatar...
Blaze out your own trail.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2009, 11:04:00 AM »
It grows all over, but I have found some cultivated plants on state lands...they also left empty bags of Miricale Grow and other garbage around. Takes all kinds......
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2009, 11:08:00 AM »
During WWII the US government planted hemp for rope making for the war effort. This Canibus was developed for it's fiber and not for the intoxicating resins. Hemp(fiber type) has many uses from making paper and cloth making and many others and as an annual plant is a renewable resource. It is used all over the world and makes very strong cordage. I use hemp cord for handle wraps on many of my bows. I get it from Wally World but it is grown in Hungary.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline NorthernCaliforniaHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2009, 11:12:00 AM »
You can't hike far in any direction in Northern California without running into a plant or two.
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, it's melancholy, and its charm." Theodore Roosevelt

Find me at ShareTheBounty

Offline bozara

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2009, 12:56:00 PM »
I'm a native Nebraskan and worked pipeline construction in the summers while in high school and college.  The native mary jane may not be high in THC, but I'll guarantee you if one (not I, of course) smoked it, it did "something."
65# @ 27" Dale Dye one piece recurve
62# @ 27" Dale Dye TD recurve
58# @ 27" Dale Dye Medicine Point RC
65# Montana Bow Works long bow

Offline newtradgreenwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2009, 01:03:00 PM »
The feral (naturalized) "ditchweed" that is escaped from plants breed for fiber in WWI or before is the same species as the intoxicating type that is cultivated and sold illegally.  Different cultivar or variant, but the same species.  In most states you could get arrested for having the for fiber variant in your possession.  Take a picture, laugh about it, do not put it in your pocket, pack, or vehicle.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©