3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Why 2 blades  (Read 465 times)

Offline OS

• Trad Bowhunter
Why 2 blades
« on: August 27, 2009, 01:48:00 PM »
I've shot 2 blade heads befor and nothing is better for lower poundage or kids short draw leagths.  Now I've been shooting Snuffers (160s) for the last several years and was wondering with great multi blade heads on the market (snuffers, woodsman, phantom, magnus, to name a few)Why do folks still prefure a 2 blade head?

Just looking for peoples ideas.
It's not the size of the game you take that means Success!
It's the experience of pursuing game that give true Outdoor Success!!!!!

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Why 2 blades
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, 01:53:00 PM »
I guess it is mosly to do with what you are hunting and what bow weight you are useing.I like big two blades like the simmons because they work well out of lighter bows and a snuffer does not.When I use a 3 blade the woodsman is more matched to my setup and works well.The truth is when you make a good shot it really don't matter.Two blades sharpen a lot easier than 3 blades and my guess is that is why many shoot them.jmo
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 02:17:00 PM »
I use them because the "work".. Everytime !!

Easy to sharpen and $20.00 will buy six...

I ask myself, "why mess with what works?"

John III
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2009, 02:31:00 PM »
It's because we want to shoot two blades, I'm guessing 8^).  No trouble getting blood trails, and they generally only go about sixty to eighty yards.  Last one went thirty.   So I feel no urge to change.

Online paradocs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009, 03:49:00 PM »
Works way better in a back quiver....

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2009, 04:22:00 PM »
Some of us like exit holes in big game.When talking about tough game, even at high poundage the two blade will out penetrate the three blade. Three blades for the most part are not designed with exit holes in mind they are designed to leave a big entrance hole and cut big wound channels. Some like the 300xtreem are designed to do both - penetrate and big wound channels.
hunt it

Offline Sharpster

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2009, 09:24:00 PM »
For me it's an primarily an accuracy thing. I'm not the best archer and I just consistantly get tighter groups with two blades than I do with 3 blades or muti-blades. Shot placement above all else. I'm also a bit obsessive about BH sharpness and can get 2 blade heads way sharper than 3 blades.

Ron
“We choose to do these things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard” — JFK

www.kmesharp.com

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2009, 09:51:00 PM »
Penetration and ease of sharpening are the reasons I am going with Zwickey Deltas this year. They have killed everything on the planet...hard to argue with that!
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2009, 10:19:00 PM »
They work.
...stood alone on a montaintop, starin out at a great divide, I could go east, I could go West, it was all up to me to decide, just then I saw a young hawk flyin and my soul began to rise......

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2009, 10:24:00 PM »
Not only do they work ,they work well!!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Jason Jelinek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2009, 10:29:00 PM »
Two blades have the least resistance, less blades less resistance, more penetration.

Online ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2009, 10:36:00 PM »
i'm a 2 blade fan for the reasons jason said. however i'm thinking of using a big 3 blader on small things like foxes etc where the kill zone is smaller and easier to make a marginal shot. being smaller game, lack of penetration won't be an issue.
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Offline OS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2009, 10:42:00 PM »
I must admit I alway have a 2 blade in my queiver and you can't argue the back quiver issue!  I love discusions like this and look forward to reading more
It's not the size of the game you take that means Success!
It's the experience of pursuing game that give true Outdoor Success!!!!!

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2009, 11:17:00 PM »
Easy to sharpen, balance, repair, carry, etc. No losses in 30+ years. Why change?
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2009, 11:18:00 PM »
Because they work.

Offline Bowhunter4life

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2009, 11:52:00 PM »
I shot primarily 3-blades for years, heck I still do... But, I bought an EFA quiver and just have a hard time getting my "goto" 160 Snuffer into there!  I shot 2 blades last year, basically for the quiver issue, and for what I've read on here about their ability to take down game.

Well, I took four shots at big game animals last year, and three animals on the ground with a total of 105 yards of tracking.  And, two of the arrows went through one doe (spine, and a follow up lung shot).  And when I say through, I mean through into the dirt.  That is effective in my book.  Plus my Magnus 1's were very easily sharpened.  I'm a fan via convenience and from experience.

Now, the 2-blades I like are WIDE 2-blades (1.5" or greater).  Magnus 1's, Pearson Deadheads (wide, 1 5/8"), or Silver Flame XL @ 1.5" and my favorite the Silver Flame DS @ 1 7/8".  Plus I don't want to get into the Single bevel vs. double as all I've shot at game are double.

Knock them if you want, but they work, period.
"Bowhunting isn't a hobby or a sport... It's a way of life!"

Quote: "Everything you read on the internet is the truth." -Abraham Lincoln

>>>-TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Offline runamuk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2009, 12:02:00 AM »
Great timing on this thread.. I have been wrestling around with what head i will hunt with this year, I have narrowed it down to either an Eclipse two blade or the G5 Montec three blade.
I had pretty much decided on the Montec,Now you folks have got me thinking maybe i should go with the Eclipse,,Decisions,,Decisions  :banghead:    :banghead:  ..Man i just ain't sure what to do,, I am a little more accurate with the three blade, But just cant seem to get them razor sharp like i can the two blade.. I have been hunting Antelope with a G5 striker and they come out of the package plenty sharp but i don't have much confidence in the thin replaceable blades for Elk. I guess a serious session with the hay bales tomorrow will decide for me..
One question though,,is a fairly sharp head that will shave a few hairs off my arm but not a good clean shave good enough for hunting??
I have never taken a big game animal with archery gear so i really have no experiance to go on..

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2009, 09:03:00 AM »
"is a fairly sharp head that will shave a few hairs off my arm but not a good clean shave good enough for hunting??"

If you are sure it will cut everything it touches then my answer would be... YES!!
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2009, 09:40:00 AM »
I'm as fickle as a wolf in a herd of sheep when it comes to broadheads...   :confused:  but I guess I've always leaned toward big 2 blade heads. I used the big Goshawk when I started bow hunting deer in 1955. Then I used the Dead Head for awhile when it first came out. Those big 2 blades are like flying axe's and they make big holes...   :scared:  

Over the years I tried just about every head on the market at one time or another. Bear Razorhead, M-A 3, Bodkin,...I even tried those cookie cutters..   :rolleyes:  I've been known to have 3 or 4 different broadheads in my quiver at one time..   :D

The last few years I've been using the big Ace Super Express. It's big, strong, sharpens easy and makes a big hole...what more could you want?

This is what I think is important in choosing a broadhead...

#1: Choose a head that flys the best out of your bow.

#2 Choose a head that YOU can put a good sharp edge on.

#3 Don't let cost determine your choice.
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2009, 10:04:00 AM »
Well, I guess that is the end of this thread.... Ron just cut thru all the fog and summed it all up with years of wisdom. Let's face it, if it is flying correctly and accurately and is razor sharp when it gets there, the rest is history.

I am going to follow Ron and JC and carry some 2 and 3 blades in my quiver this fall too. Treesharks and some 160 snuffers. Let's try both and see which one we like the best ???

nocams  :coffee:
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©