3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: My Experience with a KME sharpener.  (Read 922 times)

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
My Experience with a KME sharpener.
« on: August 27, 2009, 07:44:00 PM »
I've had one of these for a while, but have not had too much time to mess with it, but since I am preparing for an upcoming hunt, I decided to try it.  I've got the knife sharpener, which also works for broadheads.  All I can say, is WOW! The thing works flawlessly!  Anyone who has ever had trouble getting a 2 blade head to easily shave hair needs to invest in one of these babies!

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: My Experience with a KME sharpener.
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, 09:12:00 PM »
:thumbsup:
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 09:17:00 PM »
You got it!
Compliance Officer MK,LLC
NRA Life Member

Offline Mallardstacker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2009, 12:35:00 AM »
Just bought one last night myself!  After reading Mr. Lamb's post, I had to.

Offline razorsharptokill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2009, 08:49:00 AM »
Been using mine also on some grizzlys. I use the flat of a course 6" grinding wheel to set the bevel. Worked great.
Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
Oklahoma Army National Guard 88-89
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm
Oklahoma Air National Guard 2002- present. Operation Iraqi Freedom 2005(Qatar) and 2007(Iraq),
Operation New Dawn Iraq 2011,
Operation Enduring Freedom 2018 Afghanistan.
NRA Life Member.

Offline pseman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2009, 12:48:00 PM »
I must need some better stones. I bought one of the BH jigs and tried it on my Smith's diamond stones and I really was not happy with the results. After messing around for 30 minutes, I could get an edge of sorts on my STOS and Magnus, but no where near the results I so often hear about on here. I am able to get my 2-blades much sharper, much faster with a file and croc sticks.
Mark Thornton

It doesn't matter how or what you shoot, as long as you hit your target.

Offline jacobsladder

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2009, 03:14:00 PM »
pseman..... i have the broadhead jig and am extremely happy with my 2 blade zwickeys..they are shaving hair nicely.... Here is what worked very good for me.... i bought a 2 sided coarse/fine diamond stone... i use the coarse side until im shaving hairs... make sure the broadhead is clamped so that you are making contact with the blade on the stone and not the underside of the clamp......FLOOD WITH OIL....follow the directions on rons video (its on his website) ...then use the fine side to finish up.... sharpest ive ever had my 2 bladers...It takes some time to get the hang of it..but once you get it....they're sharp !
TGMM Family of the Bow

"There's a race of men that dont fit in, A race that can't stay still; So they break the hearts of kith and kin, And they roam the world at will"  Robert Service

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2009, 04:09:00 PM »
:thumbsup:

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2009, 04:18:00 PM »
IMO...Best on the market for the "Sharpening Challenged"...   :thumbsup:    :jumper:
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2009, 04:59:00 PM »
yep! the best!!!! :)
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Online swp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2009, 10:45:00 PM »
I'm with PSEMAN, I got the knife sharpener and so far I can't get them razor sharp at all. Barely shaving hair, they were sharper before I started.
"People say you can't go back, its like when you get to the edge of a cliff and you take one more step forward or you do a 180 degree turn and take one more step forward. Which way are you going? Which one is progress?" Doug Tompkins

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2009, 11:17:00 PM »
Pseman and SWP... I'm a little surprized, but like any tool it can take a little getting use to.

Your best bet is to call Ron and he'll have you putting a razor edge on your heads in no time.
Nobody knows better how to use the tool than the man who invented it.

Good or bad, I'd sure like to hear your results after you've had Ron's instruction.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Sharpster

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2009, 04:09:00 AM »
Thanks very much guys,

Pseman and SWP,

Charlie's right, If you're experiencing anything less than ideal results, PLEASE give me a call. I've coached many people through sharpening a knife, BH or both right on the phone and it usually only takes about ten minutes. You guys spent good $ on the sharpeners and I want you to happy you did. If you're not getting the results you expected it's only because I failed to stress a couple critical points in both the written instructions and the video. I answer the phone till 8pm eastern, 7 days and if we can't get your blades plowing hair, I'll happily refund your money.

Ron
800 561-4339
“We choose to do these things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard” — JFK

www.kmesharp.com

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Owlgrowler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2009, 08:23:00 AM »
Now that is customer service!
Bragging may not bring happiness,
but no man having caught a large fish,goes home through the alley.

Offline John Havard

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2009, 08:34:00 AM »
It's the best way to sharpen a BH I have ever found.  Past years have seen me buy a bench-based wet-grinding system ($$$$) and just about every kind of other sharpening thingamajig you can shake a stick at.

I use the knife sharpener with the Arkansas stones (not the diamond stones) and like others have said, I cannot get a BH as sharp any other way I have ever tried.  The knife sharpener makes it easy to match the bevel on my single-bevel Abowyer BH's and make them truly razor sharp.  It's the last BH sharpening system I think I'll ever buy.

Offline doug77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2009, 09:56:00 AM »
what John say's work for me. But Ron sent me 6- 160 grain single bevel grizzlys that he sharpened for me I will need leather gloves to put them on the arrow.

doug77

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2009, 04:54:00 PM »
I've found with the Abowyer Brown Bear heads in the KME it doesn't have the same angle as the head...? It has a steeper angle than the head's edge. It sharpens fine...just not the same angle. Maybe 30 degrees, where the broadhead is 25 degrees...? That sort thing. I have been using the broadhead clamp.

I start out with a synthetic stone that is pretty coarse, then go to a finer stone, then to a fine and then strop.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline John Havard

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2009, 06:05:00 PM »
David,

As Ron will often say, the adjustable angle reading on the KME knife sharpener is a function of the shape of the head and how it is clamped into the holder.

Do I understand your post correctly?  Are you using the KME broadhead clamp instead of the KME knife sharpener on your single bevel heads?  If so then I'm not surprised you find the angles to be different.  The KME broadhead clamp is designed to work with DOUBLE bevel BH's (lower angle) and not single bevel BH's.  The system to use if you're sharpening single bevel BH's is the knife sharpener and not the broadhead sharpener.

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2009, 06:44:00 PM »
Thanks for clarifying that John...makes sense.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline dragon rider

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2009, 10:47:00 PM »
I bought the KME knife sharpener up at Denton Hill, but like some of the others above wasn't really getting the kind of results most of you were getting.  After reading this thread last night, including his offer to talk anyone through the process, I called Ron.  Within 10 minutes I had produced the sharpest knife I've ever achieved.  Great product, great guy.

One tip he gave me was to take a felt tip marker and run it down the cutting edge of the knife you're working on.  Then work your stone along the knife edge at whatever you think is the right angle.  If the ink comes off all the way to the cutting edge, continue through the method in his video.  If not, your choices are to continue to work at that angle, with one of the aggressive stones until you actually take enough metal off to achieve that angle, or, assuming you're not devoted to that angle, increase the angle on the stone until you take the ink off cleanly, and then work at that angle.  

I was working at 20 degrees.  Using his method, the blade turned out to be 25 degrees, and was razor sharp within 10 minutes after that adjustment.

Again, great system sold, and backed up, by a great guy.
Don't meddle in the affairs of dragons; people are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©