3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: My Experience with a KME sharpener.  (Read 925 times)

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: My Experience with a KME sharpener.
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2009, 10:05:00 AM »
My Bud Steve and myself spent part of yesterday afternoon at Ron's Shop.Glad to see Mikey Bamboo there!   :scared:   Ron without a doubt is one of the best here at Trad Gang!   :thumbsup:   It was great to see them all yesterday.   :clapper:

Offline Scarne

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2009, 11:56:00 AM »
I have the jig and the knife sharpener.  I bought the stones Ron told me to buy.  I did what he told me to do even though the instructions are more than adequate.  I put an scary sharp edge on Australian Outbacks in 20 minutes.  After spending hours with a Lanski I still couldn't cut butter with those BH's...BTW the Lanski is for sale - cheap.

I'm going to guess that if you are having trouble any one or more of the following may apply.

1.  You are using TOOOO much pressure.  It dosen't take much to sharpen anything that once had an edge to it.  The weight of the jig or stone holder on the knife sharpener is plenty.

2.  It requires oil to lubricate and float away the debris/metal that the stones are removing from the blade.  Otherwise it builds up in the stone.  Guess what happens then...

3.  Cutting faster isn't necessarily better.  Diamond stones arn't inherintly better than non-diamond.  I'll leave it at that.

4.  As silly as this sounds you have to find the angle of the blade.  A sharpie marker and the INFINANTLY ADJUSTABLE knife sharpener make this so easy I can't believe anybody would have trouble with this.

5.  Quite honestly...I threw out knives and broadheads because they were dull.  Untill I found a guy who worked out of a trailer that stopped in town once a month and sharpened everybodys stuff.  I think he died...he hasen't been around in awhile.  Regardless if I can sharpen a knife with Rons gear...anybody can.

-s
"A man is best judged by what he does when nobody else is watching."

Offline Three Arrows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2009, 12:00:00 PM »
I cannot wait to try my hand on some Eskimo's and Abowyer Whitetail heads!

Offline Scarne

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2009, 01:49:00 PM »
Three arrows...

Get yourself a beverage, a can of shaving cream, your work bench set-up, turn on some relaxing tunes, and have at it.  You will be laughing at how amazingly easy Ron has made it to put an edge on just about anything.  Take your time and learn how to do it properly.  The speed will come with some proper practice!

BTW...don't get to carried away with the arm shaving thingy...folks...well...they notice that kind of stuff...they might think your...well...shaving places they can't see especially if you are wearing long pants...that may lead to some other thoughts...if you know what I mean...not that there is anything wrong with that.

Offline Sharpster

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2009, 08:39:00 PM »
Hi guys,

Boy the thing people say about a guy when he's not around!!!  :biglaugh:

John and Snag, The BH sharpener works for both single and double bevel heads. The only thing is that the angle's not adjustable so you'll probably end up with a duplex grind like Snag discribed, which is not a bad thing by any means. It will give you a much stronger cutting edge.

Tom, It was great to have everyone over at the shop this weekend! We actually got to take break and shoot both arrows and the breeze for a while. We gotta set up a small 3-D range over there. I think you'll be seeing our buddy Mike (Bamboo) there a lot more often in the near future. Stop by whenever you get a chance. It was a pleasure Sir!

Three Arrows, Before you sharpen either of the BHDs you mentioned, please call me. I'll give you a few tips to save you some time.

Scarne, You wanna job??? Sounds like you might know a thing or two about sharpenin stuff yourself!

Thanks again guys,

Ron
“We choose to do these things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard” — JFK

www.kmesharp.com

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Traditional-Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2009, 09:00:00 PM »
A good product and a great guy, that is success for a business no matter how you cut it. Ha Ha Ha  :smileystooges:  . Thanks Ron you turned me into a Sharpster. Ron called me at work and worked on my imperfection through lunch what a guy, good job Ron keep up the good work.

Bruce
We are what we do repeatedly. Execellence is, therefore, not an act but a habit.  

Artistole (384-322 B.C.)
Philosopher

Online swp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2009, 09:29:00 PM »
Ron,

Thanks for taking the time to get me straightend out on your weekend.

Scott
"People say you can't go back, its like when you get to the edge of a cliff and you take one more step forward or you do a 180 degree turn and take one more step forward. Which way are you going? Which one is progress?" Doug Tompkins

Offline Scarne

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2009, 09:14:00 AM »
Sharpster...

Just what I learned from you and high school shop class!

Offline Marvin M.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2009, 09:30:00 AM »
OK, I'm one of those sharpening challenged guys.  I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a purchase on one of these systems.  

I want to do knives and broadheads.  I shoot magnus broadheads.  Will the knife sharpener do what I want.  If I have to choose, I want my broadheads sharp -- I figure I can field dress a deer with an arrow if I need to.  Sounds like the knife sharpener will do both for me.

Knife sharpener or broadhead sharpener?

Offline Sharpster

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2009, 10:24:00 AM »
Marvin,

If your primary concern is your Magnus BHDs then I'd suggest the BH sharpener.

The knife sharpener will work for them but the BH sharpener is much faster. You can do 3 or 4 BHDs with the BH sharpener in the time it takes to do one with the knife sharpener. Gimme a call if you have any questions. Thanks again everyone,

Ron
“We choose to do these things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard” — JFK

www.kmesharp.com

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Marvin M.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2009, 11:31:00 AM »
Ron,

I'll call you this afternoon.  I'm tired of dull blades.

Marvin

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2009, 12:29:00 PM »
Ron   :thumbsup:

Offline Deadbolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2009, 02:49:00 PM »
Ill be throwing my stingers on sometime this coming week for the up and coming season!  I can't wait to get some scary sharp heads...I truelly am sharpening challenged!

Offline Marvin M.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2009, 04:48:00 PM »
I just ordered both systems.  I'm tired of dull blades.  

Marvin

Offline Morning Star

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2009, 05:32:00 PM »
Ok, I have the KME Broadhead tool.  So far so good.  I think I'd like to take the heads one step further than finishing with the fine stone it comes with.....which one should I pick up?  Hard Arkansas?
Iowa Bowhunters Association - Your voice in Iowa's bowhunting and deer hunting issues!

Offline Sharpster

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2009, 07:55:00 PM »
Morning Star,

If you bought the 2 stone kit from us, the fine stone (white) is a hard Arkansas. The next finer would be a black or translucent Arkansas but they're pretty pricy. Before you buy one of these, try stropping the head on a piece of plain ol' brown corrugated cardboard. Just cut a flap off a box, lay it on a table for support and with the BH still in the sharpener, pull it backwards over the cardboard 8-10 times per side. Then start flipping the head every pass and do 3-5 more per side. You won't believe what a cheap piece of cardboard can do for an already shaving sharp blade.  :readit:  

Ron

www.kmesharp.com

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Morning Star

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2009, 08:07:00 PM »
Thanks Ron
Iowa Bowhunters Association - Your voice in Iowa's bowhunting and deer hunting issues!

Offline JimE.IV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2009, 08:12:00 PM »
Ron,

Do you have a shop?

Offline Slufoot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2009, 08:17:00 PM »
Hey Ron, I just recieved my BH sharpener in the mail today that I ordered from your web site. Thank you for the super fast shipping!

Your "About Us" page is absolutely great and is what made me decide to go ahead and buy the BH sharpener from you. I wish everyone felt that way about american made products!

I haven't tried the sharpener out yet but hope to soon.

Thanks again!
Slufoot

Offline Brian P.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2009, 09:28:00 PM »
I like the looks of the KME system but have one question. Has anyone tried to sharpen a head that is already attached to the arrow?

I always mount my heads (glue on) and shoot them to ensure proper flight. Then I sharpen them. All the pics and videos I have seen show the sharpener being used on heads that are not yet mounted. Just curious if the arrow shaft makes it super difficult or even impossible to use the broadhead sharpener.

BP
"As a rule, nothing does an arrow so much good as to shoot it, and nothing so much harm as to have it lie inactive and crowded in the quiver"   Saxton Pope

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©