3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: My Experience with a KME sharpener.  (Read 923 times)

Online swp

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: My Experience with a KME sharpener.
« Reply #40 on: August 31, 2009, 09:39:00 PM »
Brian P,
I sharpen my mounted heads on the knife sharpener. After talking to Ron last night I got this bad boy down and have a couple of SHARP broadheads ready to go.
"People say you can't go back, its like when you get to the edge of a cliff and you take one more step forward or you do a 180 degree turn and take one more step forward. Which way are you going? Which one is progress?" Doug Tompkins

Offline Brian P.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2009, 08:20:00 AM »
Thanks SWP. I thought the knife sharpener might be more user friendly with mounted heads.

Anyone use the broadhead sharpener with mounted heads? I like the more compact nature of the BH clamp for travel.

BP
"As a rule, nothing does an arrow so much good as to shoot it, and nothing so much harm as to have it lie inactive and crowded in the quiver"   Saxton Pope

Offline Morning Star

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: September 01, 2009, 08:44:00 AM »
Anyone use the broadhead sharpener with mounted heads? I like the more compact nature of the BH clamp for travel.

It's tough to keep blade / stone contact with the arrow on there.  To much counter weight.  It's a precision process, I think you'd be best with the knife sharpener if you need to keep them on the shaft.
Iowa Bowhunters Association - Your voice in Iowa's bowhunting and deer hunting issues!

Offline Sharpster

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: September 01, 2009, 11:03:00 AM »
Hi Guys,

JimE, I do have a shop but it's a production set-up not a retail store.

Slufoot, Thanks very much. Some mis-spelling on there but it gets the point across: Made in USA or forget it!

As for which is the better sharpener for BHDs, The BH sharpener is much faster than the knife sharpener but Morning Star is right, on the shaft touch ups can be done much easier with the knife sharpener. I wouldn't even consider sharpening an out of the pack, laminated tip BH with the knife sharpener though... it'd take days to get the bevels set.

In fact, it's best to file any laminated tip heads to somewhere near sharp before going to the stones with either sharpener. Both sharpeners are  honing tools, not grinding tools. A few minutes with a file will save a lot of sweat and time on that first "out of the pack" sharpening.

Broadheads like Muzzy Phantoms or Magnus Stingers which come out of the pack reasonably sharp can be tuned pretty quickly with either sharpener without needing to file them first.

Ron
“We choose to do these things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard” — JFK

www.kmesharp.com

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: September 01, 2009, 01:47:00 PM »
Thanks Ron. Just got off the phone with Ron and he told me what I was doing wrong with the single bevel heads. For one I was over sharpening them. I need to use the coarse stone just until that burr develops. Then move onto the medium and so on. I'm giving the cardboard for stropping a try too. I have been using leather. But it seems cardboard works better.  How's that for recycling!  Can't wait to get home and get back on them!
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline Scarne

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: September 01, 2009, 04:55:00 PM »
Let's move this thread on up TO THE TOP!!!
"A man is best judged by what he does when nobody else is watching."

Offline Scarne

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: September 01, 2009, 04:55:00 PM »
ONe More tIMe for GOOd mEaSUre!

Offline Ralph Wilkerson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: September 01, 2009, 05:33:00 PM »
Does anyone have any experience with the KME knife sharpener on Simmons Interceptors?  Thanks.....

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: September 01, 2009, 07:19:00 PM »
heh heh heh KME sharpens anything!   :biglaugh:

Offline Longbowwally

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: September 01, 2009, 08:32:00 PM »
I've had my KME knife sharpener for several weeks now. I can really improve the factory edge on a Muzzy Phantom with it.
 The only problem I've had is when I try to sharpen a knife blade that is kinda narrow, the clamp is in the way, i.e. the stone hits the edge of the clamp not the knife. I may be doing something wrong but it seems to me the blade has to stick out a certain minimum distance in order to get clearance on the clamp...Anyone else have this problem?
LONG LIVE THE LONGBOW!

Wally Holmes

Offline Scarne

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: September 02, 2009, 12:29:00 AM »
LBW...
You mean like a small filet knife or a paring knife from the kitchen?  Here is what I do.  I sharpen the part that isn't in the clamp.  Then I move the blade so the sharp section is in the clamp and then sharpen the rest.  It works...although Sharpster may have a better idea.  I'll bet he'll be by Wednesday AM.

Offline Scarne

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: September 02, 2009, 12:29:00 AM »
LBW...
You mean like a small filet knife or a paring knife from the kitchen?  Here is what I do.  I sharpen the part that isn't in the clamp.  Then I move the blade so the sharp section is in the clamp and then sharpen the rest.  It works...although Sharpster may have a better idea.  I'll bet he'll be by Wednesday AM.

Offline toehead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: September 02, 2009, 01:58:00 PM »
Just wanted to add, called Ron yesterday for help with the BH sharpener using some magnus 1s.  Ron was very patient and walked me through the process (I WAS USING WAY WAY TO MUCH PRESSURE!)  I can honestly say I didn't know what a sharp head felt like.  Ron had me get a goose feather (quill not cut yet) and i was cutting the BARBS (Ron, this is the correct term for the individual hairs if you will of the feather) at a 1/4inch from the ends!  NOW THATS SHARP....I also have two bald legs and arms.

THANKS RON !
proud member of
Bowhunting Council of Oklahoma
Oklahoma Self Bow Society
Leedey Archery Association
PBS
Comptons Traditional Bowhunters
Pope and Young Club

Offline toehead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: September 02, 2009, 02:00:00 PM »
...and one more thing, I thought I was doing everything right and still not getting the results until I spoke to Ron on the phone...NOW I have it...
proud member of
Bowhunting Council of Oklahoma
Oklahoma Self Bow Society
Leedey Archery Association
PBS
Comptons Traditional Bowhunters
Pope and Young Club

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: September 02, 2009, 02:17:00 PM »
Without a doubt the best system out there. I have both the broadhead and knife sharpener. I actually like the knife sharpener when sharpening broadhead better.

Don't have a dull hunt...get a KME.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Scarne

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: September 02, 2009, 02:27:00 PM »
Back To the top!!!!!!

Offline bamboo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: September 02, 2009, 03:28:00 PM »
and if you use the translucent stone -then the card stock-holey-moley!!you can't beat the KME!!
Mike

Offline Deadbolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: September 04, 2009, 03:27:00 PM »
OK back to the top for someone I can call a buddy!

I have the broadhead sharpener and tried it last year but didn't get good results...i got sharp but not scary sharp.  Well after soaking in what Ron told me and what Ive read here the past week I have mastered this thing!

I have finally gotten scary sharp broadheads and my left hand is bald to prove it haha!  I never realized how LITTLE effort and pressure needs to go into this thing.  I use to really push down good and hard and it just wasn't needed!

I ran my stingers on a course stone for a few passes then to a fine grit and finished it off backwards on some leather.  I slid these things into my brand new EFA quiver like a hot knife through butter and they aren't moving until next weekend of our opener!  Man I'm pumped to test these broadheads out now!  Again top notch stuff here ya'll!

On another note also did up some WW originals via charlie lamb style...took some elbow grease to get the bevel but its one hell of a head and damn sharp.  Set it on the file ran it on fine grit then polished it with a ceramic rod and viola!  Perfecto!

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: September 04, 2009, 08:15:00 PM »
Did someone mention shaving cream????? Please explain....I can think of two uses...one as a lubricant while sharpening and the other as a better way to see if the blades will shave hair.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline Sharpster

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: September 04, 2009, 09:56:00 PM »
Using shaving cream is cheatin!  :biglaugh:   A blade needs to be much sharper to dry shave.

Ron
“We choose to do these things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard” — JFK

www.kmesharp.com

TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©