3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bears have disappeared!  (Read 208 times)

Offline smoke1953

• Trad Bowhunter
Bears have disappeared!
« on: August 28, 2009, 10:51:00 AM »
I have been baiting on our property with non-meat products as required in Wisconsin since the middle of July at three bait locations.  Had hits within 3 days and continuously for 3 1/2 weeks. For the last 2 1/2 weeks we haven't had anything at the sites or on camera.  We had a heavy blackberry crop big around as your thumb for the last few weeks and I'm theorizing that this may be the issue.  Two weeks until my hunt.  Any thoughts from the experts out there?  Also I expect at some point soon I should eliminate 2 of my 3 baits and concentrate on my selected hunt location.  Am I correct or not?  So far I've had a 2 yr. old that comes in alone and a sow with three cubs.  There is also a large boar with over a 6" wide front paw that is around but hasn't appeared at the bait stations.  Also have had wolves in the area and not sure if this has had an impact.  I don't believe so but want you to have all the facts.  Thanks.

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bears have disappeared!
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2009, 11:56:00 AM »
I would doubt that the wolves would have an impact. It is common for bears to roam when the berries are ripe. Depending on how close your baits are to eachother I would use just one. If they are pretty far(as in 5+ miles apart) two would be no problem. Keep your bait going. Use some good smelling things, anicin works good. Once the berries start to go away they will come back.
TGMM Family of The Bow

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2009, 12:05:00 PM »
It's the berries, for sure.

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2009, 12:22:00 PM »
Nothing will change Fall bears locations like a big food source somewhere else.

Is there anyplace where you could glass and spot and stalk or still hunt blackberry patches?If the berry patches are completely done,your baits may fire up again.

I've hunted in Saskatchewan a couple times and when wolf sign showed up at a stand location,the outfitter would pull us out.He says they will affect bear movement.

I know also,when the berry crops are bad there,due to late freezes,the early Fall hunting over baits gets smoking hot.

It's a tough situation when there is a big food source like that.Bears are in survival mode,trying to prepare for Winter.They will pound the best food source till it is gone,then move on to the next best thing.

For sure,they will never forget any place where they have gotten a free meal and I believe too,if you have enough season to let the berrys run out,they should be back.

Big boars will roam there territory periodically as well and that big one could just show up when you least expect it.If you felt he were in the vicinity,a predator call might pull him in.At this time of year,bears pass up no free meals,especially big,dominant boars.They say you should call for at least an hour.I read recently that a guy said you could spook some bears by calling too loud,too close.I think he recommended calling lower volume to start,gradually increasing volume.In thick woods you never know if he's close so maybe it would be best to not really blast the highest volume.

It will be a tough year as long as that berry crop is on but just hang in there.If you think the berry's are done,I'd be in that tree.Things could change like a light switch.Good luck to you.I really want to see a picture of that bruiser.

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2009, 12:38:00 PM »
Not an expert by any stretch but had done a lot of baiting.  Chocolate, chocolate, chocolate.

Sounds like you are being out baited by someone.

Here in Michigan I use donuts and  bread  with chocolate on top.  If the bait doesn't get hit after a few days I put bacon grease around the bait about 20 yrds away and high on tree branches . I know you can't use meat products but would that include cooking grease .  If not get it out.  Good luck.

A side note, last year I had a baiter walk right past my bait and drop his bait 30 yards away in the swamp.  Our very active bait went dry.  Wasn't until I walked around that I saw the other bait.

I also wear the same clothes and same rubber boots and I don';t let anyone walk to the bait with me.

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2009, 03:00:00 PM »
I would keep the best bait site active with lots of bait; but I would put out small amounts of your best bait ( sweet stuff scattered around). If your main bait site activity stops; you can refresh the other baits and have a good chance of surprising a bear.

Plus - if your baits are close; the different bait that the bears love at the other sites - well scatter that around and the bigger bears will be caught off guard.

Some have suggested chocolate chips; as they can't be spotted and have to be nosed out. Bright colored objects like jelly beans can be picked up quick by birds- before the bears get there.

You might want to take a portable drill into the bait sites your not going to use; and drill holes in fallen logs. Then pound in jelly beans real tight into the holes; it will take days for a bear to get them out. That way if a bear is coming into one of your abandoned baits; you can restart the bait if a big bear comes in.

I sometimes will walk in a route; and stop and toss some bait once and while- and  where I have an extra treestand set up. I do it everyday like its a mistake; and wait until the last couple days of the hunt to put the surprise on the bears. I like to be about 80 yards from the bait and out of sight of the main bait when I do this; so bears circling downwind will find the treats- they will come into these baits pretty boldly if they have figured you and your bait site out.

Its like a game of chess......
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline Robhood23

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2009, 05:21:00 PM »
How close are the berry patches to you. I would find the berrys and set the baits next to the berry patches, they should at least visit the baits while munching on the berry's! You should have no problem telling if they are feeding on the berries, scat will be full of berries and they will knock down alot of foilage! Also don't be afraid to mix it up a little. Use lots of grease!! Good luck and keep us posted!
The man who thinks he can and the man who thinks he can't are both right!!!

Offline smoke1953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2009, 07:26:00 PM »
Thanks guys.  The berries are all over but not at my particular sites. Berries should be nearing the end in two weeks when I begin.  I thought about the predator call but I more than likely will see a wolf since I've had several sitings while on stand in the past.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2009, 08:28:00 PM »
If the acorns are dropping,  they will leave the baits.  Been there, done that.
ChuckC

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©