3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What are you wearing under the Sitka Celcius jacket?  (Read 604 times)

Offline BMN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
What are you wearing under the Sitka Celcius jacket?
« on: August 28, 2009, 06:04:00 PM »
I received my first piece of Sitka gear this week, a celcius jacket. I must admit that after opening the package and seeing the jacket I'm highly skeptical that this thing can be very warm. I fully understand that the Sitka line is a layering system and must be used as such to realize its full potential. So, what are you Sitka users wearing under your celcius jacket to stay warm on stand when the temps drop? I doubt if the jacket alone will do much good. In reviewing some past posts it appears that most people are at least wearing the core layer and the traverse layer under the jacket along with a vest. Is that enough when the temps reach the single digits? I will say that the jacket appears to be of the highest quality and I love the fit. But man is it light for a cold weather garment.

Bill
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society
Prairie Traditional Archers
TGMM Family of the Bow

The most frightening thing you are likely to encounter in nature is yourself.

Offline Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What are you wearing under the Sitka Celcius jacket?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2009, 06:42:00 PM »
Bill for stand sitting in single digit temps you will need to wear garments similar to what you have stated core, traverse, vest as well as the Kelvin jacket or similar loft. I think you will like the Celcius for mid-November hunting with temps in the 30 and 40 F. It has low profile sleeves and the dimpled finish makes it quiet yet durable. Mike

Offline Stykbowslim

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2009, 07:50:00 PM »
Bill,

Everybody handles cold weather differently. With that said, for me to sit still in a stand for long periods (all day) of time in single digit temps, I use the following system; Sitka Core base, Traverse layer, Celsius bibs and jacket, and some KOM wool. I tried to use just the Sitka system in single temps and damn near froze my n**s off   :eek:  

-Don
"Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline."

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2009, 08:32:00 PM »
Got to see some of it in person this week. Looks awful thin to me, but then again maybe it works as well as advertised ? If I had to wear everything listed above underneath it then I tend to think it does not work to well ?

Stykbowslim, if I counted right and one of the layers was not a vest you had on 4 sleeves !!! How could you move, much less shoot a bow with your 4 layers on your arms ?

I have also heard about the price and with that many layers I would be heading to my stand with $1000 on my ragged butt.    :scared:  

Nocams  :campfire:
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline Stykbowslim

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2009, 08:39:00 PM »
Nocams... forgot about the vest!!!   :)  The layers are form fitting, so shooting was no problem.
"Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline."

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2009, 08:42:00 PM »
I do well in cold weather with Sterling woolies (underwear), a light wool turtleneck, and a heavy wool shirt.  It would have to be really cold before I get uncomfortable.  In addition, I can move quietly and easily to shoot my bow.
Realize, of course, that I am cheap and brands mean nothing to me; however, warmth and comfort does, and it isn't all that expensive.

George: GoodWill Stores, Pro Staff Member.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2009, 08:45:00 PM »
The whole deal with the Sitka stuff is to get the MOST heat retention with the LEAST weight and bulk.  You'll notice there are different weights of fleece on the jacket.  Those are "body mapped" to give you the most insulation where you need it.  With the core, traverse, vest, and celsius bibs and jacket I have hunted all day in the 20s.  With that said I've added the Kelvin vest and jacket for different conditions but I know I will be WARM in any weather adding most likely onlythe vest to the above.  A good hat is KEY for all this along with boots as well.

The thing I like most about the Sitka System is even with all the layers it stretches with you and is not big and bulky.

Offline BD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2009, 09:46:00 PM »
Go with wool for really cold.
BD

Offline Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2009, 10:52:00 PM »
Even when I wore wool, I was wearing many layers for all day stands in single digit temps. There is big difference for me between that and 20s and 30s.

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2009, 11:27:00 PM »
Hey Mike....where is Illionois?  I'm guessing next to Indioana?     :saywhat:    :biglaugh:

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2009, 11:36:00 PM »
Why do they make it in China? Even being Made in China George can't afford it  :biglaugh:
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline BMN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2009, 12:16:00 AM »
Thanks for the info guys. The single digit temps around here are rare during archery season. I was just wanting to know what this stuff is capable of. As Steve O stated, I'm looking for the most heat retention with the least amount of bulk. I'm looking forward to trying it.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society
Prairie Traditional Archers
TGMM Family of the Bow

The most frightening thing you are likely to encounter in nature is yourself.

Offline Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2009, 01:56:00 AM »
You got me on that one George. :>)

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2009, 07:16:00 AM »
I wore mine for 4 hours last fall in a treestand....the temp was 8 degrees when I walked in...

I had on, and this is where I differ from some others....I wore the Traverse layer against my skin(I find it a lot "warmer" against my skin in cold weather).

Then went with two Mountain shirts('07 Sitka line) on top, and one Mountain layer on the bottom.

Then my Celcius vest and Celcius Jacket on top, and my Celsius bibs on the bottom.

Had my Sitka Celcius hat with the beanie under it on my head.

I was very comfortable for the first 3 hours, the last hour Iwas starting to "feel it" a bit...but I was just fine for the amount of time I was in my stand.

Like Mike said, even with the best wool, you have to wear layers.

The best part about Sitka it that it's so light and fits so well, that it doesn't wear you out just wearing it all!

Jimmy, You obviously don't hunt much in cold weather bud...
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline FrozenFew

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2009, 07:30:00 AM »
Now maybe I am just acclimated to the weather a bit more but I wore the bibs and jacket with the Bass pro no name traverse style undershirt and run of the mill sweatshirt and jeans in a fenceline treestand facing a northwind in a blizzard and lasted 4 hours, I wasn't feeling tropical but I wasn't dying either, my feet gave in before the jacket.  You made a good purchase I think. I don't know what the temp was that day in Farenheit but probably below zero with the windchill.  I Tried on a traverse zip shirt recently and thought it to be very nice, I would think that in the climate you are in you could get away without the vest!

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2009, 08:50:00 AM »
HAH!  Canada is not the only place it gets cold!  :biglaugh:   Kansas gets COLD!  I'd wear the vest...

I was thinking about getting the heated Dutch Oven vest from Sitka.  I still may...you would never be cold again.

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2009, 12:00:00 PM »
Well I must admit, living in a four season state like Pa., I relish the colder weather, and don't much consider it cold unless it's under 25f. Above 75f I'm looking for shade and a cool breeze.   Being a gound-pounder, I move (although at a snail's pace) quite a bit so don't have to sit in the deep freeze on a tree stand like a pork roast 8^).  I can stay comfortable with not a lot of bulk.  Wool has always done it for me and I am a loyal cuss.

Steve O....maybe just a Dutch Oven period!  8^).

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2009, 12:19:00 PM »
Put a pair of merino long underwear on under it. That works for me.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline BD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2009, 11:39:00 PM »
I have some sitka gear and some excellent wool. IMO the sitka excels in temps down to about 35 degrees. That's when the wool takes over.
BD

Offline J-KID

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2009, 09:58:00 PM »
I use my Sitka 90% Jacket and Pants or Celsius Jacket and Bibs for all my cool to cold weather hunting down to single digits.  What I do is add a pair of LL Bean fleece pants and fleece Windstopper pullover that I wear on top of my Traverse base layer and under the Sitka outer layer as needed.  So far, it's kept me comfortable.  Add some Muck boots with sock liners and one pair of SmartWool hunting socks and I'm good to go.  I've been warmer on stand than ever before.  It took years to get through my thick head, but most of my discomfort due to cold was from the chill resulting from the sweat (even slight) from the walk in.  The liner socks make all the difference as does the Sitka base layer.  Much better than the UA stuff I had been using.  It's also the most comfortable hunting clothing I've had and easiest to shoot with.
Jay Kidwell
BW PLV TD
64" / 50 & 55#

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©