3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What's the benefit to static limbs?  (Read 546 times)

Offline Koko Bow

• Trad Bowhunter
What's the benefit to static limbs?
« on: August 28, 2009, 09:47:00 PM »
Just wondering the benefit to static limbs.  I was looking at the sheepeater in one of my mags and my interest was peaked.
Like arrows in the hand of a warrior are the children of one's youth. Blessed is the man who fills his quiver with them! ~ Psalm 17

Dryad Epic

Offline Gaff

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What's the benefit to static limbs?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2009, 11:46:00 AM »
from what i understand, it allows a shorter bow with no finger pinch. the way the tips are when you draw it increases the "angle" instead of decreaseing it..lol  does that make sense??   :knothead:  

i shot a 54" RER Arroyo that i drew to 29" and it didnt have the slightest pinch.   :thumbsup:
----------------->>>>>>>
Jamie

Offline Koko Bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2009, 12:10:00 PM »
I thought that may be the reason.  Thanks Gaff.
Like arrows in the hand of a warrior are the children of one's youth. Blessed is the man who fills his quiver with them! ~ Psalm 17

Dryad Epic

Offline HATCHCHASER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2009, 06:46:00 PM »
They are the quietest recurves as well.  I have a new whisperstick kajikastyk that is 56" and I have a 30" plus draw.  No stack and No fingerpinch.  It is a semi-static tip.
It's not the arrival, it's the journey.

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2009, 01:40:00 AM »
The static tips also allow light poundage bows with relatively narrow recurved tips to have more stability and resist twisting -- sort of the same way that longbow limbs do when they have a narrower but thicker cross section. As you can imagine, twisting of limbs on a recurve is not a good thing. The static tip changes the geometry in a variety of ways, many of which can be very beneficial under the proper circumstances. There is still a tradeoff in every design feature, and static tips are no exception.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2009, 11:19:00 AM »
Static tips....not static limbs, as amar911 stated.
Static limbs would be a problem 8^).

Offline Morning Star

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2009, 12:56:00 PM »
So how do static tipped bows perform compared to standard recurves?
Iowa Bowhunters Association - Your voice in Iowa's bowhunting and deer hunting issues!

Offline shikari

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2009, 01:41:00 PM »
AS Amar stated its tips not limbs and if a picture is worth a 1000 words then here you go.
Code: [Select]

Offline dick sable

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2009, 01:47:00 PM »
If I am correct, static tips are not always best for the very short draw length shooter as the limb tips do not unfold enough to gain the advantage. Is that right George?  I only draw 26" maximum - - - power stroke disadvantaged!!

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2009, 01:58:00 PM »
From Jim Hamm in TBBII, the chapter titled RECURVES..."These static ends keep the angle of the string in relation to the tips low at full draw and provide a smooth draw, but place more strain upon the shorter working section of the limb.  ...very efficient..."
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2009, 05:43:00 PM »
I had a Saluki bow which had the siyahs which are, I belive, similar to static tips. When you get into the late stage of the draw they "unfold" and the bow seemed to become smoother at the end of the draw. For me it actually felt like the draw weight reduced at the end. That bow was VERY quick and quiet.
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2009, 05:30:00 PM »
I build a static recurve takedown and love it. The tips allow an even power curve plus no finger pinch . Very smooth to pull and shoot and extremely fast. There are many different types of statics and they all behave differently. Most have one drawback in that they are more difficult to string than a standard recurve of longbow. Some of the disparity you may hear would be depending on the style of the static . Some tend to be unstable. Some are extremely stable . Just like any other limb design they all perform differently.
Statics are a really different feel though and a well designed static is just extremely pleasureable to shoot.

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2009, 05:42:00 PM »
Static recurves if designed well will have good early weight and will have a reduction in pull as the mechanical advantage of the tip takes over.  Giving a reduced # per inch at the back of the draw.

This makes them fast, smooth and quiet.  Three things that we like a lot.  That's why our Orion recurve has a radical static curve.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Renaissance Man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2009, 07:07:00 PM »
I used to sell Curtis and Rick Byrds Texas longbows and especially their recurves.
Their curves were short, 52" but very smooth draw and tremendous speed and cast. Dead quiet.
Curtis told me the static tips allowed a smooth draw and great cast due to leverage applied by the static ends. The working part of the limbs were very flexible and he used osage lams.
I hunted with one for years when I hunted in tight spots such as ground blinds or in real thick brush.
I would still have it if it was lighter in weight. Fantastic performance at 60Lbs. Loved heavy arrows.
Did I say dead quiet.
Wonder if Curtis or Rick are still making bows?

Offline Brent Rudolph

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2009, 08:59:00 PM »
Like has been stated already, you get the whole string angle relief, speed, smooth, quiet, easy to maneuver........the list goes on. What I like is the fact that the efficiency level remains high in short lengths. That means it shoots heavy arrows well.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline tecum-tha

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2009, 10:55:00 PM »
My korean bows use a semi-static tip limb design also. By making the siyahs slightly longer, the limbs "fold earlier", because the lever is longer. To make these bows super efficient for shorter draws, the curves in the limbs need to move a little closer to the handle,too.
I am currently in the stage of creating an optimised form for this type of bow for draws smaller than 26". This is prototype 2 of the bow, in action at a german 3D-shoot:
 http://www.helmut-dittrich.com/gallery/Bogenschiessen/20091003%20Oeschingen/g_exhibits/DSC_0019_full.html

When I have my own house soon, I'll be able o work with wood again and make some dust...

Offline Morning Star

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2009, 10:57:00 PM »
Thanks guys
Iowa Bowhunters Association - Your voice in Iowa's bowhunting and deer hunting issues!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©