3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: shot angle?  (Read 508 times)

Offline yekrut

• Trad Bowhunter
shot angle?
« on: August 28, 2009, 10:57:00 PM »
Whats too much of an angle out of a tree stand, and where should a guy aim , deer tend to cross just like 6 to 8 yards from my stand and I want to shoot but don't really know where to shoot it at its a qaurtering away shot,  so any advice? there in a ditch below me out to my right! thanks  :confused:    :confused:
There are many good moccasin tracks along the trail of a straight arrow: ( fox )

Offline Mo. Huntin

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: shot angle?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2009, 11:11:00 PM »
I think it is great that you are asking this question.  Very wise to learn from others mistakes.  I hope the guys who are better at explaining things than me will come help and bring their diagrams and such.  I will also be following this because I have never shot a deer closer than 10 yards.

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2009, 11:11:00 PM »
Think about where the arrow will exit. Place your broadhead so it will hit the opposite shoulder low and you'll be fine.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2009, 11:27:00 PM »
I like to shoot for the armpit exit hole.  If I exit thru the leg muscle, it can really hinder the blood flow.  I try to not hit bone except for ribs.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline saltwatertom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2009, 11:53:00 PM »
What Charlie says, visualise and aim for the exit.
"There is always luck about, for those willing to look for it"

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2009, 12:27:00 AM »
What Charlie said....of course!   :D
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2009, 08:50:00 PM »
Like most said, think about the exit, and that goes for any angle shot.  I would also suggest if you are on a funnel or hot run if possible move your stand back a couple yards.  I don't care to shoot down on a deer from a tree at over a 45 deg. angle if possible.  I hunt up about 18-20 feet so that is about 6 yd.  The closer you get the narrower the kill zone.  I like them at 10-15 yd for idea shots.  That is an easy to make shot range with a good angle to the vitals.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline Jack Whitmire Jr

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2009, 09:37:00 PM »
I could hang a stand in the wal mart parking lot on a light pole and a deer would walk head on until he was 3 yards from my tree stand. So I let em walk past me and shoot em quatering away from above. Stay off the big bones and you'll be OK. Imagine an exit wound like said above in the arm pit. Try to keep from hitting the off shoulder becasue you want an exit hole for tracking purposes.

Jack
Tolerance is a virtue of a man without any  Morals- unknown author

Offline yekrut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2009, 10:11:00 PM »
I can not move back any farther as there are no more trees that are safe to put a stand in and there is no were to shoot from any farther back, was out there tonight and walked in and one was close by my stand , I can try to shoot when there qautering away a little, it would be like less then 10 yrds ?? or so. Any ways thanks ...  :)
There are many good moccasin tracks along the trail of a straight arrow: ( fox )

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2009, 10:26:00 PM »
I would think your distance would be fine if you aren't 25 feet off the ground.Study some deer anatomy diagrams and learn to visualize the lungs on a live deer,especially at different angles.Pick a shot angle and aiming point that will get you both lungs.If the deer is 8 yds(24')from the tree and you are 12 feet off the ground,that's a 22 degree angle or slightly more.That's not too bad if you pick your spot.

Offline GMMAT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2009, 02:49:00 PM »
If you have a 3D deer in your yard....here's something I do with my son, every year...

Go out and take an arrow....and place it entering the deer at varying angles.  Then I ask him what that arrow is going to take out (on that angle) as it passes through the animal.  It's a great lesson on deer anatomy.  I want my arrow to do the most damage to the internal vitals as it can (on a particular angle).  We all do.  Common sense.  A sever qtring angle (though not "ideal" may not even have the arrow entering in the "kill zone".  What's important is......the "kill zone" shifts, as angles are introduced.  Entering behind the ribs is a great shot on a hard qtring away animal.  Would I take this shot from 10yds?  Yeah.  20yds?  Not ME.  Treestand height also plays a BIG role in shot placement.  Again.....just think about the path of the arrow all the way through your target.

Here's a ggod anatomical representation of a whitetail deer....

Here's an example of an entrance hole on a qtring away doe...shot from 18' up.....

Same doe....and the exit hole....

Good luck.

Offline yekrut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2009, 05:39:00 PM »
hey thanks, I try doin some shooting from my stand at a 3d target and. That pic of the doe helps out, being able to see were the enterance hole is. thanks

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2009, 09:53:00 PM »
Originally posted by yekrut:
I can not move back any farther as there are no more trees that are safe to put a stand in and there is no were to shoot from any farther back, was out there tonight and walked in and one was close by my stand , I can try to shoot when there qautering away a little, it would be like less then 10 yrds ?? or so. Any ways thanks ...   :)  
I just noticed you are from SD.  I have hunted there some.  Based on the parts of the state I have been I am surprised you can find a tree at all.  :)  

Visualize the exit hole and just make sure you don't shoot at such a close deer than you get a one lung hit.  Deer can survive a one lung hit.  Practice on a 3D deer is a very good thing to do.  It will help you better understand the shot angles by studying the arrow in the target, and you will be able to get a much better idea of what you can do for getting consistent hits at different distances and angles with the reduced kill zone of the high angle shot.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline kshunter55

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2009, 11:39:00 PM »
Never had trouble tracking a deer when you hit them in the opposite shoulder. It will get em every time
"The more you put into something, the more you get out of it"  Rick "Rooster" Dirks

Andy Dirks

Offline OS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2009, 12:07:00 AM »
how high your Stand is plays a roll in where you aim also remember form!! On a real close shot its easy to just drop your bow arm more witch often causes you to shoot High.  Most of my stands set about 16 feet and most of my shots under 10 yards seem to hit a little higher than where I looking (I know how proper form works I didn't say I could do it :-) )I would suggest you aim a little under the optimal point for that arrow to enter
It's not the size of the game you take that means Success!
It's the experience of pursuing game that give true Outdoor Success!!!!!

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2009, 08:45:00 AM »
I have become very reluctant to take shots that are "too close" for a number of reasons. One is that the closer you are to the animal when you shoot the reaction will be more of a "startled reaction"  and the deer will tend to duck and run, meaning a high hit or even a miss. I find that if I shoot out to say 15 or 20 yards the reaction to the shot is more one of "look and see' type of thing than "I'm outta  here!".  In addition the slightly longer distance makes for a better shot angle.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline OS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2009, 10:51:00 AM »
Another little note for penitration on those sharp downward angles.  We have always been told to wait until the closer front leg moves forward to open the vitals.  This is great when on the ground or your shot out a little farther.  As that front leg moves forward the shoulder blade slides back.  With your case it would be better waiting until that leg is BACK. This will cause the shoulder blade to move forward opening more of the vitals to you from the sharp downward angle
It's not the size of the game you take that means Success!
It's the experience of pursuing game that give true Outdoor Success!!!!!

Offline swampbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2009, 12:05:00 PM »
Those close shots from a stand aren,t as easy as you'd think esspecially if you go high in the stand.Shoot some before hand and remember to follow thru even if it's a 2 yrd shot

I prefer the 15-20 like Bill said for the same reason's
Shoot straight and have FUN!!

Offline J. Cook

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2009, 12:12:00 PM »
Try and visualize the vitals...I've lost single lunged rutting bucks before and had them return a week later still chasing does.  So I try to not take any shot that I can comfortably get BOTH lungs.  Deer are tough critters, so I want to do as much damage as possible.  But Charlie said it best...if you can get to the opposite shoulder, chances are you've damage both lungs and a short track job!
"Huntin', fishin', and lovin' every day!"

Offline Plug

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2009, 12:25:00 PM »
If you can't move away from the deer....  Move the deer away from you.  I am not a big fan of waiting for a deer to pass and taking the quartering away.  Just not a fan of quartering away from a treestand period.  They work and all but broadside is so much better.  The answer is simple.  Build a brush "fence" straight out from your stand across the trail to a distance you are comfortable with. Cut a few saplings or long branches and lay end to end.  I like to fasten the trunk ends to an existing vegetation or stakes I drive in the ground about 2' high so the "fence" stays elevated with age.  Trim out the tops near the far end so they don't obliterate too much of the new trail. Trim out shooting lanes if necessary.  Works like a charm unless it's real thick.  Don't get too elaborate.  It doesn't take much.  

Wear rubber boots and gloves and if possible build it in the rain.  Keep your scent off of things and the deer will make the detour immediately.  They ain't that smart.  Keep your scent off and they don't know how the branches got there.

Wa-la... 13 yd. broadside

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©