3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Who's old school around here?  (Read 791 times)

Offline bear1336

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Who's old school around here?
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2009, 06:15:00 AM »
I have hunted the same way for over 50 years, I guess I am old school put still enjoy the thrill of each hunt sucessful or not. After all these years I still can not sleep the night before opening day and I pray that never ever changes. So yes I AM OLD SCHOOL...
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside thoroughly used up, totally worn out, with bible in hand and loudly proclaim...WOW...What a Ride!!!

Offline Bootstrap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2009, 06:22:00 AM »
The words "old school" or the word "traditional" for that matter both are very subjective.  I think trying to define them as a matter is up to the individual.  Personally, I don't think there such a thing "traditional" because tech evolves. At on time the bow was very high tech. If you want to call yourself being a true traditionalist, you need to be hunting with a rock or a sharpened stick.

Traditions change over time, and at this point in time, typical/traditional hunting takes place with fire arms; that is to say with the most advanced tech.

I am new to hunting with a recurve and its definitely different when compared to my guns or compounds, but is it traditional in a modern world? I don't think so.

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2009, 06:24:00 AM »
I think I have a Full School Degree.  I switch back and forth from hunting with my own home made equipement...Osage selfbow plus my hand forged broadheads and knives (probably as old school as you can get) to using my Griffin/Shrew bow bolt T/D longbow and carbon arrows.  Doesn't make any difference which class room I'm in as long as I'm havin' Traditional Fun...Doc
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline SlowBowke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2009, 06:31:00 AM »
Hmm. I'm probably not worthy of an "old school" label amongst the ranks here(likely due to my current interest in the Ashby philosophy, hehe)however... I do consider myself to be so, now that I think about it.

Even though the Grizzlystik and single bevel combo has my interest the remainder of my equipment and methods show a distinct LACK of "new and improved". The hunting members of my family think I'm some kind of throw back from the dark ages and belong in a cave. ROFL.

EVEN the EFOC and single bevel head is viewed by them as "old".

However, besides the above, my equipment is from the 60s, including and not limited to wood and fiberglass arrows, mid 60s Super Kodiaks, Bear and Herters heads etc.

Probably more noticable to my family is what is LACKING in that area (to them).

Those NOT included are:

Tree stands *except on a RARE occasion*
Cover scents or scent blockers
Attractants
Calls of any kind
Man made blinds
Wind direction indicators
Spotting scope
Binoculars (unless scouting)
Lighted nocks
half the time, no camo but do tend to want something over my ugly white face and shiney bow limbs.

I'm NOT saying using any of the above is wrong OR makes anyone less "old school", should that be a goal. As an example there were cover scents used clear back to "Injun" days, but they are just not for me. Downwind is downwind.

For me, bowhunting is the challange of me against the animal. Again, FOR ME, using things like my nephew's do to "increase their odds", also reduces the satisfaction I get from it all. I also want to add that for ME, that stuff is all a PIA and I'd rather spend the money on broadheads that cost too much. *grin*

I'm more like the young man busting his chops a few years to save up for a 10 year old car rather the professional business man who buys a new Caddy every two years.

Mine might not be as nice TO OTHERS, but I know what it took to get it and my appreciation and pride in what I am able to get takes second seat to no one.

The "new wave" bowhunting, or hunting by ANY method, seems (TO ME, NO OFFENSE TO ANYONE) to be geared towards "take all the advantages you can and measure your success in inches of antler".

This trend actually DROVE me away from it. Too much of the HUNT was removed or at least reduced and it seems (to ME) to be more competiton oriented BETWEEN HUNTERS than between the hunter and the hunted.

Oh yeah, a huge, big, large, jumbo, heavy massed, high tined beastie is in the top of my bucket list, FOR SURE!!!!!

Should that be in the cards, I'll take him one on one, eyeball to eyeball, coming in downwind and connecting with a well placed shot at close range.

That said, taking a "smaller" one the same way is just too far up that same list to start "cutting corners" on how I WANT to do it all.

Take your enjoyment from our sport as you see fit. No true hunter will downgrade any legal methods, but forgive me if I think that taking too many short cuts is only removing some of the challenge and THEREFORE some of your own satisfaction.

Bowhunting and Challenging have been words used together all my life.  I may not connect repeatedly on the "class" of whitetail others do, but THEIR success has no direct connection nor will it be used to measure my own.

Somehow, I think THAT single thought makes me "old school".

Pardon my wordy reply. I got up too early. I need coffee. LOL

God Bless!
"Beauty is in the eye of the BOWholder" God Bless!!

Offline wollelybugger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2009, 06:49:00 AM »
Self bow off the ground with cedars, dont know about old school, but the old part fits me pretty well.

Offline bear1336

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2009, 06:52:00 AM »
Every hunter has his own choice of equipment and method of hunting the main point is get out there and enjoy yourself and keep em sharp.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside thoroughly used up, totally worn out, with bible in hand and loudly proclaim...WOW...What a Ride!!!

Offline Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2009, 08:41:00 AM »
i shoot Hill style bows with wood arrows, don't wear or even own any camo...never used trail camera's etc...hunt by stalking only
am i old school ? doubt it as i'm sittin here discussing and learning techniques from around the world...
stone points on river cane shafting shot from a self bow...that's old school!!!
so is flinging carbon grizzly stiks from an ILF 'curve...
its the self imposed limits of our gear that matters and how we apply their use afield...thats how i differentiate "old school" from "nu skool"
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2009, 09:06:00 AM »
I'm about to embark on my 47th consecutive bow season. Wood arrows, double bevel broadheads, no EFOC or other unnecessary "improvements". I hunted with an early compound for a few years, but never liked it as much. Last deer killed with a self bow. Hunting this year with a 1970 Super Kodiak in memory of my brother, who has passed on to the Happy Hunting Grounds and left the bow for me.

I stalk hunt on wet or windy days. When I hunt from trees, it's usually from a 12' wooden ladder stand (several on my property), but I have a 20-year-old, 20# Loc-on 4 piece aluminum ladder stand that I take on trips. I have no climbing stands. I do have a pop-up blind for turkeys and for hunting with a buddy. I do use binoculars and carry a cell phone. I'm not prejudiced about things that make the hunt safer or more enjoyable.

On my 61st birthday I will be hunting the rut in Missouri with friends that I've hunted with for 30 years.

"Old school"? I have no idea. I just do what feels good.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline Liquid Amber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2009, 09:43:00 AM »
The old guys used the most efficient and newest stuff available.  It is a modern deal to do with less.  When the old guys did with less, it was all they had.  They embraced the new with enthusiasm.  If a new gadget lost favor, it was because it didn't perform as advertised...not because it was "new school."

In fact, when the compound came about, traditional archery tanked because of the wholesale switch of these "old school" guys to the compound.  The reason compounds were able to survive was the acceptance of a vast majority of traditional archers....not from the influx of new archers...that came later.

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2009, 09:50:00 AM »
Cliff, those guys were just guys....just like today.
Old School is a term and as you know it can apply to any sport, work, play, or whatever and helps to define a genre or era only.

Part of "Old School" was also being obstinate when new stuff came out.  Not all of it was embraced because there were some "old school" people even back then.  Thank Heaven for them because they kept the fires burning for the experts we have now.

Offline Liquid Amber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2009, 10:40:00 AM »
You're right about the fun part; the old guys enjoyed themselves and placed a greater value on the fun aspect back then.  I find way too much emphasis on "style points" nowadays.

You was old when I last saw you George...you must be ancient now.   :)

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2009, 10:42:00 AM »
"Old School" is all relative to where you started from.  Many of our sports pioneers who back in the late 50's and 60's were shooting those new fangled laminated fiberglass Bear Grizzlys, Kodiaks, Shakespear Necedahs...etc probably thought the ways of Pope & Young, Will and Maurice Thompson were old school. I'm considered old school by many of my freinds and family simply because I choose to hunt with a recurve, even though I use carbon arrows, modern camo and a few other gadgets. Now days if you don't shoot the latest super duper tricked out compound then your old school. For the fun of it, I went and dug out my old Hoyt Impala compound from the 80's to shoot with some compound buddies. 70 pounds 50% let off 46" axle to axle.  Most could not even pull it as they were use to their modern 85% let off bows. Boy was I old school.  Time moves on things change,  that's why we're not watching "old school" black & white television anymore, talking about traditional archery on the internet and debating about what is traditional.
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline Three Arrows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2009, 11:08:00 AM »
What George said...  By the way, my hunting partner is 70 years old and shoots a compound since the day they came out with it.  He uses a compound but climbs a tree with ropes and uses a wooden board for a tree stand.

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2009, 11:13:00 AM »
He has my respect for climbing tress with a rope when he's 70.  8^).

Offline dragon rider

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2009, 01:00:00 PM »
I don't mean to sound any grumpier than usual - well maybe I do - but it seems to me that "old school" is mostly a term used by some people to demonstrate their superiority over some other people just like a lot of the other terms we use to make ourselves feel important at someone else's expense.

In the words of Kurt Vonnegut, "all tastes are tastes" and even more importantly, in the words of Waylon Jennings, "He ain't wrong, he's just different."  

So do what feels right, do it legally, morally and ethically - and most of all have fun.  If what the other guy's doing doesn't look like fun, don't do it - or ask him about it - you might learn something interesting.

OK, rant over - you are now returned to your regularly scheduled programing.
Don't meddle in the affairs of dragons; people are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2009, 01:12:00 PM »
My first REAL bowhunt was October 1st, 1975. I sat in the pouring rain on one of those folding canvas stools with the bag hanging underneath. All I saw that morning was  a pheasant, but I remember every detail of the day. I had a sandwich in the bag that my Dad had made with leftover breakfast sausage. That was 34 years ago. I still have the Bear Tigercat bow I used that morning, and aside from 3 season experiment with a compound in my 20's, my bowhunting has always been with a recurve or longbow.

I have never thought of myself as "Old School" though...compared to my hunting partners, guys like Ron LaClair and Tim Cosgrove, I continue to prove out as a rookie.   :bigsmyl:

Offline Ia Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2009, 01:58:00 PM »
Old school? I'm 70, been bowhunting seriously for 48 years. Obviously started "trad", no compounds back then. Tried compounds for a few years,(barebow,fingers).Went back to trad in 85'. Shoot recurves and longbows, mostly wood arrows,old style Bear razorheads,hunt from ground, no blinds,
etc. Does that make me Old Style? (I mean school?) I would say yes! Guess it depends on ones definition.

Good hunting wether you're "old" or,"new" school or somewhere in between .

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2009, 02:16:00 PM »
Isn't it something, we can debate anything and turn the most simple things into ethics questions, or elitism, or divisiveness.  Which really shows the futility of posting anything that is subjective; and, of course, 99% of everything discussed is subjective.  

How about those Steelers?  8^).

Offline KPaul

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2009, 02:17:00 PM »
After years of hunting,I've evolved to longbows and recurves.When it comes to treestand safety I will criticize no one for using the newest and best safety equipment to avoid injury.Using a line with a prusic knot to stay attached to the tree at all times is wise move. Every year I see at least one old school hunter that has a life altering event while trying to defy gravity.Hunt smart ,hunt safe.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Men occasionally stumble over the truth,but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened.

Offline Three Arrows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2009, 02:39:00 PM »
Okay, forget I said old school.  How 'bout simple and plain?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©