3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The Lansky sharpener  (Read 508 times)

Offline K. Mogensen

• Trad Bowhunter
The Lansky sharpener
« on: August 29, 2009, 09:15:00 PM »
Hello, hope this hasn't been covered but I only have a few minutes and don't have time to do a search so please bear with me.

I have been looking at the Lansky sharpener to sharpen my single bevel Eclipse broadheads. I have a few questions:

First, where can I find a good deal on em? I checked the Lansky site but are they cheaper anywhere else?

Second, which one? The standard or the deluxe? Diamond?

Thanks all! I'll check back later tonite.

Not Ted

Offline Horner

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: The Lansky sharpener
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2009, 09:29:00 PM »
I don't know anything about the Lansky, but I will tell you this check into the KME sharpener look in the sponsor list.  Give Ron a call, he will tell you what you need.  No need in guessing!!!!
Best sharpener on the market, I love mine!!!!
Horner
What would you attempt to do, if you knew you could not fail?

Never leave the one you love, for the one you like.

Offline Horner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2009, 09:40:00 PM »
Here is the number for KME in case you don't know this site very well----- 1-800-561-4339.  
I am sure there will be more after me, to post on how great it is.
Horner

Offline K. Mogensen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2009, 09:45:00 PM »
Thanks! Looks simpler than the Lansky...

Offline Horner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2009, 09:46:00 PM »
YOU WILL LOVE IT!!!! Plus help is only a phone call away.

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2009, 09:58:00 PM »
The KME is way better engineered than the Lansky.It is also infinitely adjustable so you can match any blade angle,not just the old 25 or 30 degree.And of course,you can do all your knives.

Offline LC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2009, 10:10:00 PM »
Well hard to go against all the testominals above but all I've ever had is the lansky with diamonds and it's hard to swallow you could do better. Thats all I've ever used for ever and can't imagine making anything sharper from broadheads to knifes. But like I said you hear alot of good things about the KME.
Most people get rich by making more money than they have needs, me, I just reduced my needs!

Offline Horner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2009, 10:13:00 PM »
:campfire:

Offline LC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2009, 10:28:00 PM »
I don't get it Horner, is that above post for me? If it is sorry to hear about your loss!
Most people get rich by making more money than they have needs, me, I just reduced my needs!

Offline dragon rider

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2009, 10:54:00 PM »
Not Ted,

I don't know anything about the Lansky system and so will refrain from comment on that.  I can tell you that I can't imagine a system being better than the KME, or the service being better. I bought the KME but couldn't get the results I wanted.  Called Ron (at his invitation in one of the other threads on here)and in 10 minutes was a believer.  I've heard about "shaving sharp" for most of my life, but had never achieved it until Ron taught me how to use the KME.  I don't see how you can beat the combination of a superb product and equally superb service and support.
Don't meddle in the affairs of dragons; people are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline K. Mogensen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2009, 11:33:00 PM »
Okay guys,

Like the KME now. However, just checked the price at three rivers and KME's site, holy shiz! Is there anywhere I could get a slightly better deal on this? 60 bucks is  a lot for a sharpener.

Offline Avid Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2009, 11:38:00 PM »
I have no doubt that the KME system works and works well, but my Lansky does a fine job at getting my knives and broadheads very very sharp, and the Lansky is about half the price of the KME knife sharpener.

I have the 5 stone set(non diamond) and have never had sharper blades.

AA

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2009, 02:47:00 AM »
The KME is better, but the Lansky works well. The principal is the same. The KME maintains a more stable angle due to its superior design. It is also more adjustable. And I am talking about the KME knife sharpener.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline fyrfyter43

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2009, 08:19:00 AM »
I had a Lansky, and swore by it for years. Then I met Ron on a hunt here in NJ. Had heard about his products for a while, but I was happy with my Lansky.

A few months later I bought a KME knife sharpener from Ron at Whittingham. The next day I sharpened all my knives and a couple of broadheads. I also posted the Lansky for sale on *bay that evening.

The Lansky is an OK system, but if you want the best, go with KME. And like everybody else said, you just can't beat Ron's customer service.
"In the joy of hunting is intimately woven the love of the great outdoors. The beauty of woods, valleys, mountains, and skies feeds the soul of the sportsman where the quest of game only whets his appetite." ~ Saxton Pope

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2009, 09:38:00 AM »
I've used the Lansky for 15 years and I got knives sharp too.There is a reason why it's cheaper than the KME.It is built cheaper,not as well designed and not as easy to use.You also don't have Ron,spending time teaching you all the fine points of using it.Every time I've talked to the guy I've learned something new and often it was about some aspect of the game not related to sharpening.

The KME has a better clamp and the clamp has reference marks so you can orient your blade the same each time.If you sharpen your knife in a Lansky and go to resharpen it months later,you can't be sure you have it in the clamp the same way.If it is in the clamp slightly different the next time,you have slightly changed the angle and have a lot of coarse stoning to do to get it back.

The Lansky has holes for 20,25,and 30 degrees.If your knife doesn't fall exactly on those numbers,again,you have a lot of coarse stoning to do,just to set the angle before you can begin to develop an edge.Unlike the Lansky,the KME has a sliding adjustment to set the angle and you can adjust it to any fraction of an angle to match any blade.You just blacken your blade edge,take a couple strokes and if you need a half degree more or less angle,set it.This is a big advantage.In the end,you will be removing less steel with each sharpening,which will extend the life of your knife.

Comparing the Lansky to the KME is like apples to oranges.Anybody in the market for a used Lansky?

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2009, 10:15:00 AM »
I currently have a Lansky, and am not dissapointed. There was never any issues with getting my hunting knives sharp with the Lansky I am very impressed with the KME as well, and have been doing some business with Ron. I will be getting a KME, but to say that the Lansky is a piece of garbage...Well I dont agree with that. There are good things and bad things about everything, but if all you can afford is a Lansky, and it does a good job...Whats wrong with that?    :confused:
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline K. Mogensen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2009, 12:31:00 PM »
Thanks for the replies guys. I need to think a little. The heads I'm getting are single bevel and I've read that the knife sharpener is the way to go for singles. But, I'm not spending 80 bucks on a sharpener. I'm not so sure about the lansky now either. Thanks guys!

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2009, 12:40:00 PM »
I didn't mean to make you think the Lansky wouldn't work for what you want and will sharpen your knives well.Mine has been used for 15 years and is still in good shape.I haven't used it on single bevels or broadheads for that matter but I'm sure you can get them plenty sharp.

I was trying to point out that there is a price difference for a very good reason.The KME is built better and is engineered better and customer service can't be beat.only you can decide how much you are willing to spend.

Offline HATCHCHASER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2009, 12:54:00 PM »
The Lansky does work well.  Don't buy the Smith.  It has alot of plastic on it.  The KME would be the best, but it is pricey.  The other thing to look at is when you buy from fellow tradgangers your supporting those who think your way.  You can't put a price tag on that.  Your mileage may vary.  Only you can decide the worth of something.  Good luck.  :campfire:
It's not the arrival, it's the journey.

Offline K. Mogensen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2009, 04:55:00 PM »
It's all good. I was just lookin around a bit.  :smileystooges:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©