3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Gold Tip Traditional Shafts?  (Read 629 times)

Offline varmint101

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Gold Tip Traditional Shafts?
« on: August 29, 2009, 09:38:00 PM »
Hello, anyone have experience with Gold Tip traditionals?  I've never messed with carbons, just woodies and some aluminum. Since I have a chance to get some at an exceptional price I thought I might try them.

My setup is a 62" recurve 55lbs at my 29" draw with FF string.  Not set on a point weight, but I mostly have 125 grain heads.

Thanks for any input,

Matt
Bless The Lord, O My Soul!

Member:
Indiana Bowhunter Association
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline KY..Rob

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Gold Tip Traditional Shafts?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2009, 09:47:00 PM »
The 55-75 GT's should fly great. I would think 30" with 100gr Brass up front with your 125gr heads should work well.

Rob..

Offline varmint101

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2009, 10:06:00 PM »
Thanks, is the 100gr. brass something that screws into the insert and the point onto it or is it the insert itself?

Member:

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2009, 10:16:00 PM »
No you remove the aluminum insert and replace with brass insert.Go to page 35 in 3rivers archery top left.
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Offline DesertDude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2009, 10:20:00 PM »
It replaces the aluminium insert that comes with the shafts. You can see a picture of them at 3 Rivers archery. If you need a couple give me a yell. If you have never installed them, I can help with that also....As far as point weight, that you will have to find out by bare shaft testing or flight testing. I have found that what works for me, may not work fo you. If I can be of any help just let me know.....

Mark
DesertDude >>>----->

US Navy (Retired)
1978-1998

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2009, 10:21:00 PM »
I fought carbon arrows in my mind for years... Then these traditionals came out and I tried them.  I could not be more pleased. I am hunting only with them this year.
Mike at the Nocking Point has great prices/shipping on these shafts...

John III
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline varmint101

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2009, 10:26:00 PM »
Thanks!

I haven't installed inserts before.  Do you have to use an epoxy of some sort?  I wonder if I can just get some from Gold tip.  I'd probably need to get a G5 ASD too.

Member:

Offline nurayb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2009, 10:30:00 PM »
just use super glue for the inserts. rough up the inside of the shaft and clean with alcohol first

Offline ChetterB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2009, 08:21:00 AM »
KY Rob is right on the money.

Offline jimmerc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2009, 08:45:00 AM »
I just got a dz this past week,  with my 60" 57#@28" longbow these things fly like lazer guided darts,  they are cut 30" with the 100gn brass inserts and 145 tips, I draw 29"! you'll have to play with tip weight to find you're tune but you will be close!
   just one thing though,glue your own brass inserts in,clean well,scuff with sand paper,(both brass and inside of shaft)clean well again,and use superglue or jb weld, i like the JB Weld as superglue sets up to fast! I like these shafts so much I ordered another DZ!   Badgerarrow (Paul) makes some pretty arrows!!
1- kajika stik combo,RC 55@28/LONGBOW 57@28 Both W/diamondback skins

1- monarch longbow royal 68" 59@28
1- bear kodak hunter-44@28

Offline 2fletch

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2009, 10:08:00 AM »
Matt, the real strength of carbon shafts is just that "strength". It doesn't bend like aluminum nor break like wood. If your shooting a tough 3-D course, toughman, or hunting in a rough environment, then you need the toughest shaft...and that would be carbon.

I just recently went bad on a toughman contest. Out of 10 targets I hit 7 trees or saplings. At least two of the shots embedded in the tree and the others either passed through the sapling or glance off. I didn't break or lose any of my Gold Tip shafts, but if I'd been shooting wood there would have been at least 3 breaks. Aluminum would have been no better.

I like wood and will shoot with them. But I wouldn't consider shooting them at a tough 3-D course or toughman game.

Offline FrozenFew

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2009, 01:23:00 PM »
I shoot a similar setup to you, and 5575s's with a little weight as Rob said are the ticket.

Offline Otto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2009, 02:50:00 PM »
I've never used the brass insert.  I've always used the std aluminum insert.  If I need to add weight I used the weight tubes.

Are you guys using the brass insert to get them to fly straight or to add weight??

Inquiring minds want to know.
Otto

Offline onewhohasfun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2009, 03:15:00 PM »
The brass are much stronger. The most important part of your arrow is the ability to not bend or break should something go awry. Alum. inserts are kind of a weak point IMHO.
Tom

Offline fireball31

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2009, 04:23:00 PM »
I like the brass inserts mainly for the strength.  and I have had a hell of time getting the tubes to stop rattling so the weight helps to.

Offline varmint101

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2009, 05:13:00 PM »
That's what I had wondered about the tubes. Do they just slide back and forth?  I like the idea of the brass insert.

lol, put up the woodies and took out the 2117's. I was actually aiming for the black dot above the arrows. 20yds even. hmm.

Member:

Offline Otto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2009, 07:49:00 PM »
If you cut the weight tubes just a tad long, they will not rattle.  Press the nock in place and everything is held nice and tight.  They will not rattle.

Unless you use the wrong diameter weight tubes.....some are made for 5/16 shafts and some are made for 1/4".  You have to buy the correct size.
Otto

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2009, 11:26:00 PM »
The brass makes them stronger and i like the weight foward.As Dr Ashbys reports show.
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Offline quackersnacker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2009, 12:39:00 AM »
Originally posted by KY..Rob:
The 55-75 GT's should fly great. I would think 30" with 100gr Brass up front with your 125gr heads should work well.

Rob..
I have not tried the brass inserts, but I'm shooting 5575s with standard aluminum inserts.  I'm shooting 30.5" and 60#@29 from a 64" Brack. I also use 160 gr STOS glued on a 42gr adapter, so my weight is about the same as yours and they fly great. As to the weight tubes I stopped using them because they rattled.  Until I saw 3Rs little vid about crimping the tubes.  Now they're back in and I'm at 637 grains, and lovin it!
"Ain't nothin, never just right when ya wants ta do whatcha wants ta do. So ya best just go ahead and do it anyway" -Rancid Crabtree

Offline OS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2009, 01:18:00 AM »
to answere Otto's question a little of both when ever you add weight to the front of your arrow you decrease the spine, when you add weight to the back or nock your spine goes up.  and adding weight to a light carbon arrow is a good thing for a traditional shooter.  As for the tubes, Ive used them before add a dab for flech tight once you have them cut to the right leanth and shove them in.  I kept blowing the nocks off when it hit target before I glued them.
It's not the size of the game you take that means Success!
It's the experience of pursuing game that give true Outdoor Success!!!!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©