3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Gold Tip Traditional Shafts?  (Read 628 times)

Offline varmint101

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Gold Tip Traditional Shafts?
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2009, 10:19:00 AM »
I had wondered about blowing nocks out with the tubes loose in the shaft.  I'll just have to get the shafts and see which works best for me.  Thanks for all the help.  Hopefully I won't have as much trouble tuning them as I fear lol.
Bless The Lord, O My Soul!

Member:
Indiana Bowhunter Association
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline boznarras

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2009, 12:19:00 PM »
Maybe I can jump in with a Gold tip/carbon question here.
Someone on this site kindly gave me some Gold Tip 3555's cut to 28 3/4, with 50grn inserts and a short 20grn(~1 1/2")aluminum "footing", which looks like a piece of aluminum arrow shafting over the outside of the carbon shaft. These fly really well for me, but are a little short for my draw of 28 1/2.
I am using 125 grain points and have a 55#@28 1/2 Kodiak Magnum.
I am considering getting some of these shafts, but would want to cut them to a longer length, say 29 1/2 or 30 inches, depending on how they acted. I like the 50grn insert idea... don't know if I would get around to the footings.
My question after reading the above, and considering the longer length is should I go for the 5575 shafts instead of the 3555's? If they are a lot stiffer, maybe I need a heavier insert, especially if not doing the 20grn footings?
New to carbon, so appreciate your thoughts.

Offline nate c

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2009, 11:14:00 PM »
boznarras -

Where in AK are you?  I'm in Eagle River, and if you want to try a 5575 before you buy a 1/2 dozen I will loan you one.

I can get about a 20~ yd range in the front yard.  I have a few field tips in a variety of weights if you want to try a couple different combinations.

We're heading to MN for labor day weekend but I will be around next week.

Nate
64" Mohawk TD 55#@29.5

Offline Rick P

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2009, 07:53:00 AM »
Boznarras and Nate

Highly recommend you both head over to Palmer and shoot the arrow dynamics hammerhead. Beats the living snot out of the gold tip traditional. No inserts, tubes or add ons. Just a weight forward shaft that tapers for the last 2/3 of the arrow producing a hard hitting arrow that flies like a dart from the shelf of every bow I own, including the 37# lefty longbow I'm building for Nate's wife unless Im very mistaken.

In my own experiments the AD Hammerhead out penetrated the 5575 in bison ribs, pork shoulder and foam.
Just this Alaskan's opinion

Online hill boy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2009, 08:05:00 AM »
I think a 3555 gold tip at your arrow length and poundage with 200gr or more up front. I think 5575 will be a little stiff.
Your best shot is only as good as your next one!

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2009, 01:07:00 PM »
I love Sitka Spruce but Gold Tips are the way to go.

Offline PrarrieDog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2009, 01:51:00 PM »
I used 5575's for a while and fought to get enough weight up front. Finally went to 3555's and got much better flight. I can use tips from 125 to 175 and not affect flight (except for drop).
My Bow is 55# but I only pull 26 inches.

Offline nate c

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2009, 02:07:00 PM »
Originally posted by Rick P:
including the 37# lefty longbow I'm building for Nate's wife unless Im very mistaken.

Does that mean its almost done?   :D  

I'm flying to MN tomorrow, back next week.  I'll give you a call when we're back in town and if your shoulder is feeling better you can spend some more time with my Mohawk.

Hope you're well

Nate
64" Mohawk TD 55#@29.5

Offline razorsharptokill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2009, 03:58:00 PM »
Zero complaints on my end. I love em'.
Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
Oklahoma Army National Guard 88-89
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm
Oklahoma Air National Guard 2002- present. Operation Iraqi Freedom 2005(Qatar) and 2007(Iraq),
Operation New Dawn Iraq 2011,
Operation Enduring Freedom 2018 Afghanistan.
NRA Life Member.

Offline boznarras

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2009, 12:29:00 PM »
Nate C and Rick P,
Thanks for the offer to try the 5575's and the Hammerheads. If I was in driving distance, I would consider it. I am down in Wrangell, so it is not so easy.
Just thinking about it anyway, at this point. Like I said, someone on this site sent me some arrows to try, and the GoldTips were just one of three types. I was shooting 2216 aluminum, which is what the current Easton chart led me to, but this was too stiff. Funny, some of the older Easton charts that have been posted here led me to 2016's, which is the other arrow that was given to me...
I have had much better shooting with the GoldTips and 2016's, but probably should practice with them a bit longer before getting out the credit card.
Thanks to you and others for your advice, and I hope my question was in line with the original thread on this post.

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2009, 06:56:00 PM »
I am shooting two bows both about 55 @ my 29".  I shoot a 29.5" GT trad 5575 shaft with 100 gr. brass and 125 point in one bow.  On the second bow I need more point weight like 145-175 to get that one shooting them.  I also have some cut to, I think, 31" with 50 gr. brass inserts.  On the second bow I can also shoot 3555 GT trad shafts with, more like 50 gr. brass and 100 gr. points.  The problem with the 3555 is they are almost 120 gr. lighter.  That is too light for me for a 55# bow.

I have a friend with the AD's and I can say they shoot out of every bow I have tried them in from 45-55# and various riser cuts.  I just can't bring my self to spend the money on them yet.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©