3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Single Best Hunting Knife Style?  (Read 3775 times)

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Single Best Hunting Knife Style?
« on: April 01, 2007, 11:01:00 AM »
Disclaimer:
I know these threads have to pertain to bowhunting.
I also know Terry looks at some of the knife threads with dark glasses hoping they quickly die  :)
But this does pertain as I'm trying to forge up a few bowhunting knives for St Judes.

On to the meat of it.  I want to know what your favorite hunting knife style is.  This is a special knife for me in that it's job is to gut, skin, & cape out whatever I've been lucky enough to kill.  It's not a slice & dice camp knife (that's what I use to process my game for the freezer).  Nor is it a big bowie or filleting knife...JMHO

My style is a small 3 finger knife 6-7 inches...meaning I want the handle to lie in the palm of my hand & my index finger to be on top of the blade for better control.  Two blade smiths that epitomize this knife for me are Dan Winkler---a forger of early style blades and Doug Campbell---with his caper.  It's because of these guys that I got into making knives.  Not that I even compare with them but I wanted to be able to use my own gear.  

The Winkler blade has been in my pack for the last 20+ years, until I discovered Doug's caper!
Campbell--top
Winkler--bottom

My bear skinner

TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Single Best Hunting Knife Style?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2007, 11:21:00 AM »
I guess your finger must be in the choil, my first glance was nervous-making! I like a little more handle. The Winkler blade looks great to me, and I like the modified coffin grip.

Personally, I guess I haven't found the do-it-all knife, as I do most work with a folder using a 2.5" clip and a spey blade. I carry a Buck Vanguard in the pack, just in case I need it for emergency shelter, or if I am not splitting the sternum. It gives me a longer reach for trachea and esophagus. Sometimes I leave them in until I get to camp, though.

Skinning and the rest is done in camp before butchering, so my field knife is not required to have that function. The Vanguard does that very well, BTW.

I have long admired your knives, Tippet, and hope to purchase one from you in the future. Maybe at the auction?  :bigsmyl:  

Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline IB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2007, 11:24:00 AM »
Doc, yer spot on as far as I'm concerned. Small is SWEET. Doug's Caper, Your Bear Skinner and the Shrew are the best designed knives I have found. They have served me well from Birds to Buff. If I find myself needing anything bigger I call on my Hawk.
Please understand this is JUST MY OPNION and it's like garbage cans everyone has one...........vb

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2007, 11:29:00 AM »
I've always liked the Schrade Sharpfinger blade style.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2007, 11:32:00 AM »
I love this!!!!!!!!!!!!!thanks.. :)
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2007, 11:39:00 AM »
Vance,  You have a way with words so everyone knows where you stand  :)   You'd never make it politics...then again why would you want to!  You sure keep me laughing...Doc
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline Holm-Made

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2007, 12:23:00 PM »
I like a small handled knife too but for butchering or any prolonged use I need a bigger handle.  Small handles promote hand fatigue for me after a while.

I like the 2nd one from the left for guttin' chores probally the best.  

Here's a nice style skinner.

Offline Terry Riley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2007, 01:00:00 PM »
Doc,
   Both are great looking knives but I'd favor the one on the top but with a little wider blade to give you a little longer edge length for skinning. I like the drop point design the best as you can see what you are doing near the point of the knife. I also like the handle postion of the top knife the best as it would seem to minimize wrist strain. Just another opinion.

Terry

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2007, 01:27:00 PM »
Holm-Made,
That is a fine looking blade shape.  Thanks for posting. It's great to get more ideas.  

I agree for butchering I never use my huntin' knife.  A longer blade and bigger handle are prefered for me too...Doc
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline sticshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2007, 02:21:00 PM »
I love knives.  :bigsmyl:    :goldtooth:  <><
The Church of God is an anvil that has worn out many hammers.

"Walk softly..and carry a sharp   Stic."
TGMM

Offline Seeking Trad Deer

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2007, 02:27:00 PM »
http://www.dozierknives.com/

KS-3 Professional Guides Knife

Just ordered one a couple months ago...we shall see.
The Lord is my Shepherd

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2007, 02:39:00 PM »
It's a sickness Frank. You oughtta go out to the shop and take a little medicine.  :bigsmyl:
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline sticshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2007, 04:00:00 PM »
HAHA kenny already did.Moose antler and carbon blade.Should be a nice caper.<><  
The Church of God is an anvil that has worn out many hammers.

"Walk softly..and carry a sharp   Stic."
TGMM

Offline Shell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2007, 06:22:00 PM »
Jeff,  You bring up a very trad related question because the knife is a very important part of trad hunting & daily life          :)        

I am usually the one doing the butchering & skinning whenever Frank or other close family bring home a deer or when we have a good day of fishing, I'm the one who gets to clean and fillet (but I really don't mind) so I look at a knife as one of my most used tools and can't wait to be able to use (one in particular) if I am ever blessed with the opportunity for this coming deer season.

I prefer something that I can use all around for skinning and butchering. I butcher usually boneless for deer so a knife that fit my hand would be something like or close to the bacote that you sent Frank awhile back (almost like that bear skinner)....the size is nice and the weight has a perfect feel to it (very controlable) with the finger groove depth and the very slight blade angle helps for minimal wrist usage as Terry so elequently said and has a nice slightly curved edge for skinning yet has that nice pointed tip for small area access and blade length is perfect yet short enough for those cuts around the bones without waste.

A perfect knife for multi use       :)      
Kinda like the one above my post of the knife my sweet hubby made...I like that style too...
so much to choose from but I too love a good multi purpose knife to carry.

You asked a great question, I am always looking for other's ideas and opinions on knives for hunting use.

Thanks on behalf of all who will get some great advice and ideas on this thread!       :thumbsup:

Offline MYSTIKBOW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2007, 06:25:00 PM »
Tippit, here is one that I've been using to gut deer with for the past 25 or so years.

I reckon so

Offline MYSTIKBOW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2007, 06:27:00 PM »
Frank, That blade is sweet. Excellent work on the handle too!
I reckon so

Offline JL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2007, 06:39:00 PM »
Hey jeff,

I too have and use a Buck Vanguard knife. It has a 4" drop point blade and the handle is about the same in size. I can palm the Vanguard and place my index finger at the tip for gutting. Granted, my mitts are pretty big and most can't handle a knife this size in this fashion but it works for me. A 3" blade with a 3 1/2 to 4" handle would make a good all around design that will feel good to most folks.

JL
Practice like you are the worst, shoot like you are the best...

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2007, 07:17:00 PM »
My favorite, all around knife is this Doug Campbell masterpiece. Not only looks awesome, but a superb shape. I prefer a knife with very little curve in the spine. I feel like I lose leverage, or something with a curved spine on a knife. Almost 7" overall with a 3 1/4" blade:

This knife was built by David Dempsey, more known for survival knives but I love the blade shape, my second favorite knife. This one has taken care of a lot of game and was always on my hip before the above knife from Doug. I'd love to have this same blade shape in a more "traditional" dressing (this one is S30 Steel and olive linen micarta). The placement of the thumb ramp really lets you make the small blade very effective for tough cutting chores. 7" overall with a 3" blade.

The lower knife in the pic below is a great skinning knife, my third favorite all around knife. 8 1/2" overall with a 4" blade.

The one on top in this pic I designed and it was built by Terry Davis of Wolftrack knives. The short, robust blade works very well coupled with the long handle. My hand often cramps up if the handle is smaller than the blade after a long skinning or meat processing job in the field. My fourth favorite knife. 8 1/4" overall with a 3 3/4" blade.

"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline Shell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2007, 07:18:00 PM »
Chad, That is a gorgeous skinner! All your knives are beautiful!!

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2007, 07:37:00 PM »
I've got a knife I'm going to post a pic of in a bit...and I want you guys' take on the shape for an all around gutter, skinner, general use knife.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©