3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: B E A R S and Wall Tents  (Read 1042 times)

Offline [email protected]

• Trad Bowhunter
B E A R S and Wall Tents
« on: August 30, 2009, 02:49:00 PM »
On the GREAT Idaho moose hunt I plan to have the cooking area a good distance away from the wall tent...but bears are curious critters.

Thinking about leaving both ends of the tent open so, hopefully the bears will just come in, look around, leave and not do too much damage.  

Any thing other than clothing will be over by the cooking area, no soap, chap stick, nothing that has a scent to it.

What has been your experience camping in bear country?

Other suggestions?

Thanks,

Bob
Beware of all enterprises that require a new suit.

Don't give up what you want most for what you want now.

Offline tim roberts

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: B E A R S and Wall Tents
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2009, 03:18:00 PM »
Sleep with one eye open.  Close both doors.   Enjoy the heighten awareness you will have.  Not sure if by bear country you mean black or grizz, but it is a great experience hangin out in bear country.  Just be bear aware, plan for the worst, hope for the best, dont worry about the things you cant control, and above all, enjoy the whole experience.
Tim

TGMM Family of the Bow

I guess if we run into the bear that is making these tracks, we oughta just get off the trail.......He seems to like it!  
My good friend Rudy Bonser, while hunting elk up Indian Creek.

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2009, 04:02:00 PM »
My wife and I were camping in the smokies years ago with my parents.  I set up our tent and tried to convince my bearanoid wife that we should sleep in it.  No dice for the first couple of nights - we were in the camper.

Finally, she agrees.  About two in the morning, she shakes me and says "there's something out there!".  Sure enough, I could hear it snuffling about 2 feet from my head - just on the other side of a nothingth of nylon fabric.  I tell her "it's just a deer - go back to sleep" and, trusting soul she is - she did.

Of course I spent the rest of the night at pucker factor 10 listening to the bearS stroll around the campsite.  In the morning, we found mature and juvenile black bear tracks all around the tent.  Needless to say, it was quite a while before I was able to convince her to tent there again.

Offline [email protected]

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2009, 07:06:00 PM »
I guess I didn't really ask the right question...

At night I will close it up and be prepared!

When I am gone in the day time has me more concerned about them tearing up the place.

Mostly blacks but some grizz in my area.

Bob
Beware of all enterprises that require a new suit.

Don't give up what you want most for what you want now.

Offline tim roberts

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2009, 09:27:00 PM »
Pack your food in your truck or in a bear canister, keep your cookin clothes and cookin area away from your tent.  When your get a moose quarter, or bone it out and hang it at least 200 yards away from the gut pile, and in a place where you can see it all from a few 100 yards away.  
I have a few books and pamphlets on the best ways to prepare and what not to and what to do, if you are interested I could send them up to ya?
Thanks,
Tim

TGMM Family of the Bow

I guess if we run into the bear that is making these tracks, we oughta just get off the trail.......He seems to like it!  

Offline stalkin4elk

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2009, 09:38:00 PM »
From Mt to Alaska more people in bear areas are using electric fencing with good results. 3-5 strands powered by d-cell chargers found at any good farm and ranch store will zap a bears curiosity and memory.

Online chinook907

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2009, 09:41:00 PM »
If you really think you'll have some bears around, the simplest thing is a battery powered electric fence.  Have used ones that run off a car battery, and some that use a couple d-batteries.  The d-batteries are enough, works for both species of bears, they don't seem to like electricity and it doesn't take much of a shock to deter them.  Use them around camp when don't have to pack things far, & around my bee hives.  Look in the ag supply places, ~$100-$150 for all the pieces/parts, there are also some kits where the pieces are in a nice bag for transport.  Make sure you get a good grounding, and run a couple wires at different heights (don't want to let the cubs in & separate them from momma).  As you said, usually more concerned about coming back to a mess than showing up when I'm around.
"Have I not commanded you ? Be strong and courageous.  Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9

Online chinook907

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2009, 09:42:00 PM »
Sorry stalkin4elk I must have been typing while you were !
"Have I not commanded you ? Be strong and courageous.  Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9

Offline Joe Subler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2009, 11:30:00 PM »
Bob, over the years I've been on 3 elk hunts in Idaho and haven't really had problems with bears.  We've seen them and actually chased one off an elk on our last trip but have yet to have damage done in camp (we do keep the food and cooking area clear of our other tents).

Joe
62" Mohawk  53#@27"

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2009, 11:53:00 PM »
the answer is simple. Buy a bear tag. The chances of a bear coming into camp will plummet.
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline Bowshot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2009, 11:59:00 PM »
Haven't had a problem with bears in the tent. Other people have and once the bears get inside, they seem to forget what doors are for. Around the tent and digging in the fire pit at night - yes. No longer cook smokies over the fire and never dump bacon grease in the pit. I usually spend 40-60 nights a year in a wall tent in the mountains and foothills. Fishing, camping and hunting throughout the year, don't really worry about them actually and would zip an arrow through any black bear in camp anyways, beats carrying them back there to be salted. Grizzlies give me the willies and have been well behaved so far.
We keep our food in pack boxes and coolers, in and out of the tent as they double for chairs, tables and work benches.

Terry

Offline tim roberts

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2009, 07:33:00 PM »
Brian, that is the best advice on here!!!  :D
Tim

TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©