3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: please judge this bear for me.  (Read 353 times)

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
please judge this bear for me.
« on: August 30, 2009, 04:12:00 PM »
i know the pic's are not really good but bear with me!! i can not figure out if i have a sow and cub on the trail cam or a very large boar and average size bear. they appear on 4 different days and night in a 3 week period. the first is a night shot of what i would think is a 200-300 pouder?

the next i think is a mother with cub, however she looks to me to be a large one.

another shot.

same bear as with cub?

would love to hear what ya think. i believe the flash botherd one of them as my cam was knocked around a bit.
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Offline doctari

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: please judge this bear for me.
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2009, 04:52:00 PM »
My guess would be a 150lb sow and her cub. Maybe they will stay around and give you some more photo's from your trail cam.  :thumbsup:
"So long as the new moon returns in heavan a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold the hearts of men."   Maurice Thompson The Witchery of Archery

Offline Gordy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2009, 05:07:00 PM »
3rd pic makes her out to be pretty decent. First pic shows a nice coat.....  hard to say without seeing any ears or belly.  I'm with Mark on this one.  Need a few more pics.  Cub looks like a yearling, so not much of an issue..... if that's the case.
In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2009, 05:12:00 PM »
It appears to be a sow and cub in one picture.I have gotten a lot of bear pictures over several years and have driven myself nuts trying to judge size on them and many of my pictures were a lot clearer than those.It is hard to do.You have to have a clear picture of the bear and a measurable point of reference right beside it,usually.

There may or may not be more than one adult bear in your pictures or it may be just a sow and cub.

Cubs and yearlings are notorious for messing with cameras and anything else they can get into,just like kids.You may find that they have been in your treestand.

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2009, 05:33:00 PM »
Having the cub takes her off the shootable list. I would guess somewhere between 150 and 200. I have been trying to get pictures and videos of the bears I see almost daily...they are hard to judge without a reference in the picture.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2009, 06:55:00 PM »
Please tell me theyre eating beech nuts.I dont hunt too far from you and Im hoping we get a good beech nut crop this year.Cant tell too much from your pic but it sure is cool to hunt with a good chance of seeing one.Smear some peanut butter on your camera tree and Ill bet you get a close up pic.Good luck this year pal.

Izzy

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2009, 07:12:00 PM »
Izzy,
    yes they are Definitly eating beeches, the tree my stand is in is aucyually the main tree they are feeding around. i will not shoot a bear, killed a big one years ago will shoot the rest with camera.

Offline Gordy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2009, 07:34:00 PM »
If the cub is 1.5 years + She's on the 'shootable' list IMHO.  Looking forward to more pics !
In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2009, 07:42:00 PM »
i REALLY need to invest in a good quality trail cam as this one was a gift so the price was right! i'm sure a better quality cam would have taken some great pic's.
 this shelf is a highway for all animals so i'm sure pappa bear is working the same ridge. i really hope by buddy Chris gets a shot at a nice bear.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2009, 08:34:00 PM »
If the cub is a 1 1/2 year old and you don't want to shoot her ,give me a call I'll shoot her...
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2009, 08:43:00 PM »
i'll put ya in a stand on just the other side of the ridge Ron. me, you and Chris should try this spot early bear season in a few weeks. we will have the whole mountain to ourselves as no one hunts bear there.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2009, 08:49:00 PM »
Sounds like a plan...
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©