3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Newbie needs advice on a long bow  (Read 255 times)

Offline Cmane07

• Trad Bowhunter
Newbie needs advice on a long bow
« on: August 30, 2009, 10:13:00 PM »
Hello guys I'm new to the forum as well as traditional archery and i have a few questions and some advice needed. I have shot compound bows since i was 3 and I recently got into traditional archery about a month ago and i absolutely love it. I have since then competed in a few local competitions with it and even won one. The advice from everyone was to buy a cheap bow to see if i would like shooting traditionally and i've always had a fascination with long bows so I bought a solo long bow which is made by great tree for bout 200 bucks. Its 52 pounds and I have a 28 an a half inch draw and i'm shooting 2016s in it. Its a good bow except that its 68 inches long and i plan on deer hunting out a treestand and i'm a little worried about the length plus i would like at least a 60 pounder because this one is very easy to pull back now and i'm a little worried about its speed not to mention i just really want to upgrade. I don't want to spend over 500 bucks tho so my big question is should i upgrade now or try hunting with the one i have first? Down here in mississippi season doesn't open till October 15th. if i should upgrade, wat would be a good choice? i had been looking at the predator long bow and i really liked it. Any input will be greatly appreciated! by the way i'm 20 yrs old and 6 ft and way 180
Caleb Hinton

58" PA-X cocobolo 50lbs @28"
"Luck favors preparation"

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Newbie needs advice on a long bow
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2009, 10:38:00 PM »
Your 52 lb is every bit up to the task of taking deer.  Yes, 68" is kinda long in a treestand, but it's not near the issue that we think it will be, especially if you plan around it and practice some.  However, if you have some doubts about the bow and it messes with your confidence and concentration, then it would do you well to change.  Definately figure 60 lb to be your max at least for now; 55+ would be plenty.  There is a bunch of difference between 52 and 60 on a chilly morning.  Ordering a new bow probably won't work as it takes a while to have a bow made unless you find something already on the bowyer's rack.  Shop the classifieds and you should be able to find something to your liking pretty quick and well within your budget.  I have a couple of 64 inchers that would probably work for you, but that is only 2 inches less per tip.

Practice, be patient and enjoy the journey.  Keep in touch with us.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline OS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 12:34:00 AM »
I've hunted with 68" bows from stands and its not a big deal if you plan for it. As far as poundage that 52lbs with the right arrow and broadhead will kill a bull moose! If your serious about traditional shooting a custom bow is the greatest way to go.  don't get me wrong factory bows will shoot great and kill game but a good custom bow can be 10 times smoother to draw and faster.  Not that speeds a big issue but I shoot 215 gr snuffers off the end of my arrows and if the bows fast to start with it carries those heavey arrows nicely :-).  Look for a big traditonal shoot in your area and go! most bowers will let you try their bows and that can be huge in picking one that fits you.  Enjoy have fun pick a spot and aim small miss small!!
and remember in traditional archery its about how close you can get the game not how far can you shoot the arrow >>>------->
It's not the size of the game you take that means Success!
It's the experience of pursuing game that give true Outdoor Success!!!!!

Offline Cmane07

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2009, 01:27:00 AM »
Thanks alot guys... I guess i'm gonna hunt with it first and see how i feel after that. I cannot believe how addicting this traditional stuff is! I shoot every day and still don't get enough.. Everyone thinks i'm crazy for saying that i'm going to hunt with it this year but i can't wait to prove them wrong! O one last thing, I bought some 125 grain muzzy phantoms, is that a pretty good head for my bow?
Caleb Hinton

Offline Cmane07

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2009, 01:33:00 AM »
O and I also shoot left handed which can make finding bows a little more difficult for me ha
Caleb Hinton

Offline carlr2s

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2009, 01:39:00 AM »
Five years ago my son and I were loading up the truck for opening weekend. When he saw me loading my unstrung recurve he asked," You're going to hunt with that?" Two nights later I shot a nice doe in the heart. At that time I was shooting a 45lb Dreamcatcher and 2016s with 125gn stinger. Complete pass through.

Offline OS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2009, 12:15:00 PM »
I've never shot a phantom but I hear some good things about them.  Just make sure your arrow spine is right and you should be fine.  From years of bending sticks I have come to refure a heaver head as I said b4 I shoot a 215gr snuffer.  and at 20 yards does not make much any differance in flight (with proper arrow spine) but man the penitration power it adds. I have proved this point with a buddy of mine who shoots compound full rig (sights, release, everything) I had him shoot his 90gr broadhead tipped arrow into our 3d target at around 20 yards.  He then shot an arrow I made for him with that big snuffer and not only did he cut the feather off his first arrow but gained 2 times the penitration.  He does play with recurves and longbows now but still spends most of his time on stand with his compound in hand but a big snuffer on the end of his arrows.
It's not the size of the game you take that means Success!
It's the experience of pursuing game that give true Outdoor Success!!!!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©