3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Why can't I bare shaft tune?  (Read 778 times)

Offline alex o

• Trad Bowhunter
Why can't I bare shaft tune?
« on: August 31, 2009, 08:37:00 AM »
When I shoot Bare shafts its hard for me to hit to even hit the target, much less tell any usefull information from it. Its not like thay all miss the same way, there just all over the place. However I am able to get good flight from a wide range of fletched arrows, which I just watch flight and see where they hit the target(stiff arrows shoot left, weak arrows shoot right). Do you guys think this is a good enough way of tuning? Why can't I shoot a bare shaft? I am shooting a 60# Predator recurve with a 29 inch draw length. I have found that Beman MFX 400 with a fifty grain brass inserts and 125 grain broadhead cut to 31 inches shoot well for me.

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Why can't I bare shaft tune?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 08:46:00 AM »
Sometimes things to lend themselves to bareshaft tuning.  Another method is broadhead tuning.  Put a large broadhead on one arrow and target points on the others.  Tune just like you would with bareshafts.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 08:49:00 AM »
Alex, have you tried a different bow? I have seen bows that just would not shoot a bare shaft straight because of their design. One good name-brand longbow that I remember seemed to be made upside down, with the stiffer limb on top. It would only shoot bare shafts when it was shot upside down. That's a rare case, though.

If you're using the planing method, you might try getting close (within 10 yards) and try the nock left/right up/down method to get you in the ballpark, then try moving back after you get close. Having your nocking point off can really confuse things.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline GMMAT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2009, 09:12:00 AM »
Feathers will correct a LOT of ugly.  From 15yds I recently found out that an arrow reacting way too stiff could miss my 2'x2' target, myself!....lol

Put feathers on it, though....and you could at least get close to where you were looking.

After seeing what feathers will compensate for, I have a hard time (MY issue) trusting anything to do with "fine" tuning to fletched arrows.

Offline R H Clark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2009, 09:20:00 AM »
If you are inconsistent with form,bareshafts will go all over the place.

Offline JimmyC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2009, 11:08:00 AM »
Alex,

Are you refering to the bare-shaft planing method?

Here is a link breaking the whole thing down:
  http://www.acsbows.com/bowtuning.html  

I really like the OBJECTIVE nature of this method and use it with great results.

Jim
"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly."--G.K. Chesterton

Offline Keuka

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2009, 11:24:00 AM »
R H Clark is right on the money with inconsistent form. I see alot of new shooters struggle with bareshaft tuning. A bare shaft will react to the SLIGHTEST change in your form or release. If you are still perfecting or nailing down your form, you are going to have problems bare shafting.

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2009, 11:25:00 AM »
As mentioned above, fletching can straighten up an arrow before you can see any tuning issues.  Paper tuning works well and lets you see just what your fletched shafts are doing.  Do it close, like 10 feet.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline Slufoot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2009, 11:38:00 AM »
wingnut nailed it!

For me, my ultimate objective is to have my broadheds hitting right with my field points. I have bareshaft tuned for several years but now I prefer  to use the broadhead tuning method.

GOOD SHOOTING!
Slufoot

Offline alex o

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2009, 11:59:00 AM »
I have been shooting for several years now and I do O.K. I think my arrows are fairly well tuned. But I am always looking to improve.

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2009, 12:19:00 PM »
Do which ever way works for you.To be honest however I don't see how you can hit a target with a fletched shaft and not with a bareshaft unless the spine is way off for the bow.If the spine is right they still should hit in the middle of the target as easily as a fletched one.  :confused:
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline swampbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2009, 12:28:00 PM »
Yes bare shafts are touchy to form issue's very much so but then again so are BH's...

Try the BH's

PS: For some myself included cause I,m stubborn, good form may take several yrs or more esspecially without proper coaching along the way.Then once ya get it your tune will be slighly differnt as well but you'll already know that    :bigsmyl:  

Good luck
Shoot straight and have FUN!!

Offline hickstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2009, 12:39:00 PM »
in the link above OL states that fletching is there specifically to correct for errors in 'launching' the arrow.  I'm thinkin the same as the guys above....possible form problems.   video it and post it up the the shooters forum.   it could only help.

I know when I first started trying to tune my first set of carbons (I'd been shoot trad for several years prior) I developed a tendency to shoot-n-peek.   trying to watch the flight of the arrow I was totally dropping my bow hand.
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2009, 01:23:00 PM »
Use the link and group shoot bare shaft tune.

If your form is good and your bow is ok you should be able to shoot a good bare shaft.  You may get some variation due to form, but you should see a pattern.  That is a good bow and cut to center so it should shoot a wide range of shaft spine.  I had one and it shot great bare shafts when tuned and with good form.

How far out are you shooting?  Don't get to far out if your form is not real good.  Get close and work back.  From close up you may see something more clearly.  If you can't hit the target every time at say 10 yd. and start to see a patter then something is really wrong.

Here is one possible scenario that could result in what you are experiencing.  Say your nock set is too low and your arrow is too stiff.  You are very close to getting hits on the riser, shelf, and edge of shelf.  Now throw in some less than perfect form.  One time you hit the shelf, the next the riser, then both kind of, or the edge of the shelf and then maybe you get off a good one with no contact.  The bare shaft can kind of go straight, then a riser hit and it goes false weak or about right.  Next shot no riser so it looks stiff, but you hit the shelf and the bare shaft goes low……….. Bare shafts that are way too stiff can go right and left depending on form.  Too low a nock can go more straight or low if it hits the shelf.  If they go way high and low you have a problem with form and or the bow, because it is really hard to go under and over a target with a bare shaft from tune issues.  

Here is what I would try.  Screw on a lot more point weight to make sure you have a weak shaft.  Raise the nock point so you are for sure too high.  Get that bare shaft shooting weak and low very obviously.  With that set-up you just can’t get fulse readings from bow contact with anything close to good form.  Start to work down on the nock location until you level out reasonably, but still a little low.  Then start to back off on the point weight until it in close to the fletched shafts.  Now you can watch form and fine tune.

Also make sure you shoot the same exact shaft type, length, and point weight with the bare and fletched shafts.  If you mix you will have way too many variables.  Don’t change until you have a very well established pattern.  I like to be able to repeat a pattern of bare shaft flight over a lot of arrows and several days  before I make a big change.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2009, 02:14:00 PM »
I ONLY tune arrows with my broadheads... They get the job done and must fly perfectly.  Spend the time to get your setup dialed in exactly.  These animals deserve the absolute best we can attain.

John III
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2009, 06:16:00 PM »
From my experience you should be shooting 340's.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2009, 07:33:00 PM »
Looks like Bill is correct.  Now that I am home I ran your info on Stu's spine calculator and it looks like you are way week.  Assuming your 60# bow is 60# @ 28", FF string, and this is a Huntersniche Predator bow, you are like 17# under spined.  You should be shooting way right if your are right handed.  You also have just over 8 gpi.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline alex o

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2009, 07:23:00 AM »
Bill, xtrema312, I also used the calculator to choose a carbon size and the spine for the 400 is much closer to what my bow would need. I don't know what you guys used for numbers but mine always come close, especially on the older version.

Thanks for all the help!

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2009, 07:56:00 AM »
Alex: The new arrow charts are for compound shooters and in addition the spine is determined on 14" centers and not on 13 that most of us oldtimers are acustomed to. I shoot a 60# DAS recurve that I chose the arrows for by bare shafting. I cut mine at 29", moved up to 250 grains up front this season from 225 and the arrows bare shaft perfectly. I currently shoot with an elevated rest and plunger but when I got the bow I shot it for a season off the shelf so the initial tuning was not with all the adjustable stuff I now use.

I would also add that I was watching the hunting show, The Choice. A fellow on there was shooting a 60# Hoyt recurve and  he was shooting the 400's. However, he had his arrows cut very close to his draw length (which stiffens the dynamic spine) and he was using a 100 grain broadhead. You might get the 400's closer to your goal by shortening them and using a light weight head. But I truly believe that you will get much better results with the 340's.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline alex o

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2009, 08:09:00 AM »
Bill, I was not talking about the arrow charts I was refering to the dynamic spine calculator(sorry, problably did'nt explain well)and the 400 were a little more tunable to my my bow with 50 grain inserts and 125 grain heads. Although 340 would problably do well also. I am thinking my problem may be more in my release. I don't pluck but i tend to just let the string sort of slide from my fingers sometimes. Sometimes i just can't seem to let go cleanly, if you know what I mean.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©