3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: I did a stupid thing last night  (Read 434 times)

Offline Lefty1972

• Trad Bowhunter
I did a stupid thing last night
« on: August 31, 2009, 07:39:00 PM »
I was in my garage talking on my cell phone to my mother and was getting a lot of feedback.  So, I thought the best thing would be to take my cell phone out of its bodyglove case (formfitting) and pop the battery out and restart it.

The case requires something slim like a knife blade, and since I was in the garage going through my hunting gear, I figured my handy dandy Gerber skinning knife could do the job.  First I pried one side open and then I put it in the other side.....next thing I knew, I was bleeding like crazy.  I slipped off the case and cut my middle finger on my right hand about an inch long down the finger tip and about an eighth of an inch deep.

I tried practicing this evening and since I am left handed, holding the bow in my right hand just popped open the wound.  This is just great with bow season opening in 2 weeks.  Oh well, at least I got to work on my tracking skills.  I had no problem following the blood trail.....
He died so that I may live.

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: I did a stupid thing last night
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 08:02:00 PM »
Two weeks!
You're still a young sprout. You will heal up enough to shoot in two weeks. Take good care of it.

Killdeer   :thumbsup:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline JimE.IV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 08:03:00 PM »
Lefty

Johnson and Johnson makes this product called Blister Block.  It is really neat stuff.  It is almost like a bandage made of skin.

I split open my middle finger right before I was supposed to shoot at the IBO World Champs in 2002 and used this stuff and held up pretty well.  

It worked really well.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001BKM3RG?&tag=shopwiki-us-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325

Offline adeeden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2009, 08:09:00 PM »
Superglue works wonders!

I bet it was a right handed phone, and knife to man us lefties got it rough everythings made for righties!
"I would rather be lucky then good, any day!"

Offline JimE.IV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2009, 08:15:00 PM »
I'm a lefty too.

The world is completely backward.

Offline stiknstringer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2009, 08:16:00 PM »
Once while I was bear hunting in Maine,I cut my left thumb down to the bone while removing a BH from a target the day before the season started.On the fourth day of the hunt, a big black bear came in and when I tried to draw, my wound split wide open again. Man that hurt and to literally add insult to injury, my buddy shot the same bear the next nite which turned out to be aP&Younger.  :)

Offline Lefty1972

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2009, 08:23:00 PM »
Killdeer, I appreciate the vote of confidence.  I am so looking forward to spending time in the woods with my bow.

Thanks JimE.IV and adeeden I am going to try the blister block and see if that will hold it shut, if not, I know that super glue will.  

stiknstringer, sorry about that P&Y bear....I bet you were happy for your friend though.

Offline Gordy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2009, 08:30:00 PM »
Duct tape and super glue ..... better than stitches.   ;)       :thumbsup:

Don't ask how I know ..... please !     :banghead:      :D
In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2009, 08:55:00 PM »
Yeah dude, second and third the super glue remarks - same stuff the hospitals will put on ya (well maybe not quite but cheaper!!)

J
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline dragon rider

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2009, 09:05:00 PM »
Lefty,

J-Dog is absolutely right - I had a dermatologist tell me that the difference between super glue and surgical glue is about $25 a tube.   I've used super glue on cuts many times and it works wonders.

But if you're going to put duct tape over the super glue be damn sure it's dry first.
Don't meddle in the affairs of dragons; people are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline adeeden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2009, 09:05:00 PM »
If you do go the superglue route, make sure you leave part of it unglued, it leaves somewhere for the pressure to escape. If you don't it will swell up like crazy.......Don't ask how I found out!
"I would rather be lucky then good, any day!"

Offline frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2009, 09:41:00 PM »
Dennis and Gordy are right! Both work better than anything the Doc will do! Oh wait, the nurses do all the work!

3 Year ago, I cut my fingeron a razor blade at work, while feeling around in a drawer for a 8/32 screw. Some... left a blade in the drawer! Clear to the bone!  I grabbed an achohol wipe, 95% and swabbed, grabbed a paper towel and took a look... I don;t like seeing bone!

Now the stopper, it was Thursday afternoon, early November, and I was going on vaction for a few for The Rut! Hell no I wasn't going to say anything and go to the medical Dept. I'm going huntin!

Wrapped abunch of paper towels around it, squeeze like heck and clock out! Keep it above my head as driving home, when I get in the house, I went right to my string room, grab a bottle of super glue, paper towel and white man's leather...electrical tape!

Hand it all to my wife, and tell her to APPLY! She hollers, Oh my Honey you have to go get stitches! Did I say... "Hell No" earlier? Have you been to the ER at night?

As of today, NO SCAR, healed fast Not sure about the pressure build-up that Dennis mentions, butit works, period. I don't go anywhere without it! Good shootin, Steve, Oh stop bleed works pretty good too, my son can attest to that!

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2009, 10:27:00 PM »
SUPER GLUE! and a slice of electical tape. Then just mind it proper for the next few days and you will be amazed at how fast a clean it will heal up.
Chuck
p.s. I am not a DR. But I play one on T.V.
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2009, 09:53:00 AM »
Been there done that. A few years ago I was cleaning up an old building site. Instead of walking fifteen feet to get my hammer I reached under a rafter to "slap" a board loose (it seemed rotten). I drove a spike into my palm. When I showed up at the emergency room, my family doctor was on call. He walks in and asks what's up, Gary? I said "I did something pretty dumb", and he replies " thats why people usually end up in the emergency room".
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Online Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2009, 04:42:00 PM »
Severed mine completely through mid palm bone ,nerves muscle, meat except the skin part of my inside of hand...Broke thumb in two places... Had my fingers all reattached with 8 long 4 inch pins and back to shooting about 2 years later and now pulling 43/54#'s...Lessin learned to never let your future brother in law push hydrolic levers while you put log on loggsplitter with your back turned from him...Docs were able to save it cause I was about 24 years at the time and I got to the hand center 2 hrs after it happened...Nerves mended,bones healed and I was one Blessed Man...You will be O.K. and back to shooting before you read this....God Bless, Keefer's <")))>< Almost forgot to mention ...Super glue was worthless on this one  :goldtooth:

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2009, 04:58:00 PM »
You really should think about getting it checked and stitched. It'll likely heal quicker-particularly if stitches will keep it from popping open and getting infected. It should be thoroughly cleaned out before sealing it up in any case. Infections can kill you. Have you had a tetanus shot? I learned all this myself from getting a few open wounds like that and finally going to the hospital when it wouldn't stop bleeding! Some doctors just love to lecture!     :D
Compliance Officer MK,LLC
NRA Life Member

Offline TheFatboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2009, 05:33:00 PM »
Maybe it will comfort you to hear that I did something similar today. Had to show a friend how sharp my new spear was, and I cut my index finger - deep. So there I was bleeding like crazy, just as you. Guess it's smart to think twice before toying around with sharp and pointy things!
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Offline blind one

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2009, 09:18:00 PM »
I use New-Skin liquid bandage. I always have cuts on my fingers(work) and also bowl on leagues during the winter. This stuff burns like !%#$# when you put it on, but it stays flexible and is an antiseptic at the same time.....Roy
"To die is nothing. One is here, One is no longer here. It is only at the end one must be able to say 'I was a man'"...

Offline Gordy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2009, 11:56:00 AM »
Yes keeping it clean as you re-apply the super-glue is good advice.   No scar for me either.  The duct tape is just insurance that it doesn't pop open out in the field.  Let it air out at night after it stops bleeding.
Took mine a few days of popping open to heal up...making sure to clean every day. WAY cheaper than stitches and a 60 mile round trip for me.   ;)

You're results may vary.....and yes the glue does sting a bit.    :biglaugh:  

Ironically, having had open heart surgery last November, they glued me shut !  Was pretty weird and pretty sure it wasn't super glue, because I got a heck of a scar !
In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Offline Lefty1972

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2009, 07:19:00 PM »
Thanks for all of the input.  My finger is actually looking pretty good now and I have been able to shoot again.  The super glue did the trick and I made sure to clean the wound first.  I can't remember the last time I had a Tetanus, but it probably needs to be done sometime in the near future.

Good hunting - Opening day is only 7 days away.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©