3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: couldnt sharpen a snuffer if i had to!!!  (Read 458 times)

Offline adirondack46r

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: couldnt sharpen a snuffer if i had to!!!
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2009, 10:36:00 PM »
This is what took me from sharp to shaving sharp (probably nothing new here):

1. A new file, cleaned and chalked and placed on a very solid surface
2. Black ink on the blades - work them on the file till it's gone
3. A well oiled tri-stone; a triangular stone with a fine, medium and coarse stone
4. A leather strip mounted to a flat piece of oak

For the first time in my life I sharpened WWs AND snuffers and took enough hair off my arm to leave quarter-sized bare patches. DOesn't appear to be rocket science. If I can do it anybody can do it.

Offline Shane_Thomas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2009, 10:28:00 AM »
I use nothing but snuffers and have'nt had a problem getting them shaving sharp.

I have 2 files glued to a board to give me a wide surface, always use ink on them, and file them til I get a good burr going, then go to a coarse diamond rod and then to a black surgical stone. Just like a razor. The big thing, I've found with the snuffs, is to always make a couple of strokes backwards first before going forwards. To be sure youre not folding part of the burr under. Seems like the snuffer is more prone to burr problems.

Once they're sharp I put a little turtle wax on my finger tips and rub on the edges to moisture proof them. Carry a little ceramic rod to touch up in the field if needed.

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2009, 11:18:00 AM »
Well I'm here to tell you, the Snuffer Tamer is an excellent product. I've been sharpening my snuffers since it first came out and have NEVER, hear me, NEVER had a blade fail. Unless of course WHEN it passes through my game and smashes a boulder. I can't tell you the number of times I've shot a deer and went home and resharpened the same head. I just buried one in a tree the other day and after I dug it out, I would have still hunted with it. I hear alot of people dogging the tamer on rumors, not experience. I know what the company recommends, and I respect their intelligence. I'm telling you from my years of using this product that it works. If it weakens the blades, then I don't notice it.  There are several ways to sharpen the snuffers, this one is mine. It works and it kills, period.

Mike
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©