3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: DRY FIRE!!!!!  (Read 278 times)

Offline RAU

• Trad Bowhunter
DRY FIRE!!!!!
« on: August 31, 2009, 08:30:00 PM »
I was shooting my great plains recurve on sunday. Ive been shooting pretty good for me lately. One of my arrow nocks got hit in the target, not split but it wasnt snapping on the string like the rest. I kept shooting it anyway. There I was at full draw,anchored solid, i let the string slip from my fingeres and at the same time the loose nock slipped from the string and fell to the ground, and I dry fired the bow. It flew out of my hands flying about 5 ft. forward. When it hit the ground it was unstrung and the arrows in my bowquiver all flew out. Really scared the crap outa me!! I restrung it and shot a dozen or so more arrows and all seems well. I was really rattled tho and was shooting pretty lousy after that so I quit for the day. Shot a bunch today too and all seems fine. I was shooting better too, as good as before the dryfire. It was a real disgusting experience. I hope theres no hidden damage thats going to end this bows life early. Anyone think its anything to worry about?

Offline BMOELLER

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: DRY FIRE!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 08:56:00 PM »
Not really.  Just don't do it again.
2009 Kansas State ASA Traditional Champion

Offline dragon rider

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 09:01:00 PM »
From what little I've seen, if a dry fire is going to mess up a bow it does it right then - sort of like carbon arrows - they're either good or they're broken - no middle ground. Just as a precaution though I'd take a magnifying glass to the tips and string groove to check for hairline cracks.  You really don't want that experience again.
Don't meddle in the affairs of dragons; people are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2009, 10:04:00 PM »
That's happened to me a couple times with my Kwyk Styks...just fine...but very scary    :scared:    :eek:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Bucksnort101

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2009, 10:16:00 PM »
Ugly sound isn't it?

Offline kevin braun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2009, 11:04:00 PM »
did the same thing with my Horne's mountain bow a few days ago.  Nock split on release and pow.( not a pretty sound).  No damage, got lucky!

Offline NorthernCaliforniaHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2009, 01:21:00 AM »
I know the feeling and yep, britches needed changin'.
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, it's melancholy, and its charm." Theodore Roosevelt

Find me at ShareTheBounty

Offline excelpoint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2009, 03:42:00 AM »
Had the same thing happen with my Firefly. Had a good look over it, did a few half and 3/4 draws then full draws before shooting again. No damage done but as said above, scares the crap out of ya.
"A hunt based only on trophies taken falls short of what the ultimate goal should be ... time to commune with your inner soul as you share the outdoors with the birds, animals, and the fish that live there."
Fred Bear

Offline northener

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2009, 09:18:00 AM »
It's has happened to me also, same cause as yours. I always look for signs of damage on my nocks now. My Wes Wallace Mentor was fine as well, other than a few marks from the patio.
Intellectuals solve problem, geniuses prevent them

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©