3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: elk down  (Read 2102 times)

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: elk down
« Reply #100 on: September 07, 2009, 11:16:00 PM »
Larry thanks so much for sharing.I had no elk on view after the first week in Central Colo
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #101 on: September 08, 2009, 09:14:00 AM »
One year I drove back from the eastside of the state and stopped to look at the elk there. They had taken the antlers off the bulls. Those poor old boys were sitting around like their world had ended...just not right.

The Cascades hold some elk. Lots of roadless areas.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #102 on: September 08, 2009, 11:53:00 AM »
probably horned them to keep injuries and damage to fences etc to a minimum.
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHATS RIGHT AND NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHATS WRONG.....LOU HOLTZ

Offline quackersnacker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #103 on: September 08, 2009, 01:00:00 PM »
Larry, that 3 sisters area is a great spot once you find the fine line between public and private land.  I've got several friends that live there and the bucks get very large and very dumb. Well maybe they're just arrogant, cause they know the rules and they know when you can't shoot them!
"Ain't nothin, never just right when ya wants ta do whatcha wants ta do. So ya best just go ahead and do it anyway" -Rancid Crabtree

Offline BlacktailBowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #104 on: September 08, 2009, 01:22:00 PM »
I will try and get a story and pics of Barry's bull up tonight sometime.

Paul
Join a credible hunting organization, participate in it, and take a kid hunting. Member: U.S. Sportsmen's Alliance, NWTF, Oregon Hunter's Assn., Oregon Bow Hunters and  Oregon Foundation for Blacktailed Deer.

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #105 on: September 08, 2009, 03:25:00 PM »
i've pretty much got it figured out and have been talking with several people from sisters area and i was in the hot zone for big bucks according to one.
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHATS RIGHT AND NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHATS WRONG.....LOU HOLTZ

Offline buckster

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #106 on: September 08, 2009, 04:06:00 PM »
Paul, thanks for posting the photos and story and a huge thanks for helping me kill my first little bull.

Folks; if you are looking for pics of a monster bull elk, I am sorry to disappoint.  All he had were some little bumps, but he thougt that he was big bull coming in none the less!  

I had already made up my mind to shoot any legal animal that the Good Lord might give me a good shot at.  And you know what they say... "every blind pig finds an acorn now and again". I was also fortunate to be hunting with Blacktail Hunter, he defenitely had his stuff together and we just had some major MOJO on our first elk hunt together.  

After 2 unsuccesful set-ups earlier in the morning, we decided to move on and set up on them about 400 meters from our initial location and scored the little elk, which came to a hochie mama cow call, it really got the little feller riled up.

Not much of a trophy to most, but I was proud that I was able to  make a quick, human kill and watch him get weak-kneeded and collapse within 100 yards of the big pine that served as my hiding spot. It was only a decent shot at about 23 yards, but the 55# Daala recurve and Magus head proved sufficient to make meat.

I will cherish the hunt and especially my time with Paul & the notorious Elkherder.  I am now trying to patent my famous "fart-calling" which Larry graciously left out, as to why we were laughing so hard, when he told me not to move when we had 7 cows/calfs withing 60 yards and totally oblivious to us.  Like I said Larry, "I GOTTA MOVE"!

With only 3 of us traditional archers in camp, we all had shooting opportunites and plenty of action for both elk and Mulies.  I counted 19 does/fawns on Thursday, but just coulnd't get the evasive bucks to cooperate.

These Oregon boys really showed me true hospitality and I was blessed to have had a terrific time on this inargual Tradgang hunt.    campfire:

"Carpe Carp" ... Seize the fish.

Offline Tradesmen4

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #107 on: September 08, 2009, 04:19:00 PM »
Buck put a pic up,  congrats on the elk. Glad to see you got back out in the elk woods. Your one elk up on me. Have a good season Greg
greg ketchum

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #108 on: September 08, 2009, 04:27:00 PM »
haaaaaaahaaaaaaa.....fart call.....roflmao...too much i tell ya.....that was a fun hunt for sure...i'm still laughing barry....hahahahahaha

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #109 on: September 08, 2009, 04:53:00 PM »
Well-done!
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline Gerardo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #110 on: September 08, 2009, 06:09:00 PM »
THESE IS GREAT!!!!!!!!!

way to go!!!!

:thumbsup:  

I hope you save an elk steak for me!!!!
Gerardo Rodriguez

Offline BRONZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #111 on: September 09, 2009, 12:47:00 PM »
Awesome!  I'm hoping to do the same next week.    :pray:
"He trains my hands for battle; my arms can bend a bow of bronze."
2 Samuel 22:35

Wheatland Christian Bowhunters--Chairman

Offline Lefty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #112 on: September 09, 2009, 01:48:00 PM »
Congrats Barry!!  Sure looks like you had a great hunt!

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #113 on: September 09, 2009, 02:12:00 PM »
Barry,

Sorry I haven't posted yet. I have been busy at work and then absoloutely have to hunt in the evenings  :biglaugh:  

I meant to bring my camera to work, but left it on the coffee table where I knew I wouldn't forget it, yeah right.

Barry, you were a fun guest and showed class for the trad guys.

We were into elk everyday,and it was a great time.

Thanks to Larry for showing us his honey hole.

Paul
Join a credible hunting organization, participate in it, and take a kid hunting. Member: U.S. Sportsmen's Alliance, NWTF, Oregon Hunter's Assn., Oregon Bow Hunters and  Oregon Foundation for Blacktailed Deer.

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #114 on: September 09, 2009, 04:15:00 PM »
Thanks for the pics and stories! I'm stuck in WV for this fall... but hope to do an Elk hunt next year (Lord willing).

Congrats on the fine animals.
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #115 on: September 10, 2009, 12:54:00 AM »
BAM!!  there it is..
Congrats man..

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #116 on: September 10, 2009, 01:11:00 AM »
Here are a few pics of Barry, his bull and the crew. This years elk hunt actually started a few months back when Larry aka Elkherder invited us to share his elk camp. Larry and I went over to the area we would hunt and were immediately into elk, so with the successfull scouting trip, I contacted Buckster aka Barry and gave him the thumbs up to head out to Oregon 2 days before the opener.

Barry arrived Thursday night, got his tags and camping gear and with my step son in tow, we headed out to Eastern Oregon elk bound.

After about an 8 hour drive, we were in camp by 5:00pm.

Saturday morning we were in our spot about 30 minutes before daylight. Larry had us set up a few hundred yards below him and off to one side. Shortly after daylight we could hear elk.

I heard several elk below me about 75 yards but could not see them through the jack pines.

As it turns out they were bumped, but we didn't know that at the time.

With the early action and then no action, we decide to move uphill into the wind. We sat up again and called for about an hour. There were no takers so we moved on and set up for about 50 minutes when I decided to approach Barry who was set up 75 yards away.

Barry and I were talking about where to move when I smelled elk. Apparently the wind was swirling a bit and I caught a whiff. I kept trying to smell it again, but couldn't. However, Barry caught the scent and I walked over to him and caught it myself.

We set up with me about 75 yards behind Barry expecting the elk to come from below him and to the right. I started calling and nothing was happening after several minutes. I decided to step back about 25 more yards and start breaking sticks.

Then I heard Barry start to call and I was thinking what is he calling for, so I decided to move his direction thinking to myself (elk are going to pinpoint him and not come in). Well I was wrong. Apparently, when I started breaking sticks there was a small bull nearby that Barry had watched come into my calls. When I decided to head back in Barry's direction, the bull bumped, so Barry used his Hoochie Mama to call the bull right to him for a shot.

Fortunately, I got to see the bull and started calling myself, so between me and Barry, we made it happen. He was tickled and spirits were high. There were elk all over the place, but there were a lot of people as well. I have never been into so many elk, but I have also never been into so many other hunters in one area.  The elk were being bumped all over and we had several close calls.

It was a great time and I can't wait until next year. Enjoy.

Barry and his bull

Barry and me:

Barry, Kyle age 15, and Robert age 13

Offline buckster

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #117 on: September 10, 2009, 01:05:00 PM »
Thanks Paul, couldn't have done it without you buddy!  Man I am trying to get back in the swing of things, but can't get Oregon outta my mind!
"Carpe Carp" ... Seize the fish.

Offline Wallcrawler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #118 on: September 10, 2009, 02:12:00 PM »
Great stories and pics, be proud of your accomplishment!

Offline Kingwouldbe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #119 on: September 10, 2009, 02:16:00 PM »
Right on guy's    :thumbsup:  yum yum!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©