3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: New guy mistake I guess? Still would like to know what happened....  (Read 367 times)

Offline Rage N Woodsman

• Trad Bowhunter
recently I had some friends over that I had not seen in years and we stayed up pretty well all night visiting on the back porch.  We had our bows out and occasionally would do some shooting under the lights.  My bow was with me either beside me or in use all night.....I left it strung and put it in my office to shoot some more when I woke up.  When I awoke I noticed my brace height was noticeably shorter...almost an inch.  I am guessing my string stretched?  What puzzles me though was there was little or no humidity and there was no dew fall that night and the string had more than a thousand shots off of it.....I think the material is the B-5o in a Flemish twist (even newer with string talk)...Any idea why this occurred? besides I guess, night air?  I really feel rotten about it and now have to go through ordering and breaking in a new string (never done either)a month before season opens.

Offline bmb

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: New guy mistake I guess? Still would like to know what happened....
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2009, 12:55:00 PM »
b-50 stretches a bit....unless the string is old ( a year or two). then just unstring and twist is up from the bottom limb until you get back to your brace. no harm done

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2009, 12:57:00 PM »
If it is a Flemish twist you should be able to shorten it back by twisting it tighter.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2009, 12:58:00 PM »
Is the string new? Do you keep the bow strung all the time? You can if you hang it up on 2 nails on the string.At any rate twist up thet baby until you  reach the brace height that's recommended. The string has to stretch . B-50 and any fast flight it's natural.

Offline Rage N Woodsman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2009, 01:00:00 PM »
I forgot to mention age wise i do think this is an older string....I have had it and ran a bunch of shots off of it since February (probably 1k plus) and I bought it used with the bow.....no idea how old it really is....

Offline donnyjack

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2009, 01:01:00 PM »
Rage, unsting the bow and put a few twist in the sting and put it back on until you get it back to the right brace height.  B50 will always stretch and will have to be adjusted for the life of the string.  More at first less later on but it will always will need some adjustments.
Good to hear from another La. boy, what part of the state are you in?

Don Jackson
President LTB  http://www.traditionalbowmen.org/desktopdefault.aspx
Love Life, Bowhunt, Flyfish, and Play a Martin Guitar                        :thumbsup:

Offline EricW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2009, 01:11:00 PM »
I would also inspect it to make sure some strands did break while shooting.

Offline Dick in Seattle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2009, 04:36:00 PM »
Given that you say it is an older string, and that you were surprised this happened kind of all of a sudden, I wouldn't take a chance.  I'd replace it.  I'm an old sailor and was a Forest Service safety officer in my misspent youth, and I've learned to look for what "might" happen.    A string breaking at full draw is kind of like a collision at sea... it can ruin your whole day!
Dick in Seattle

"It ain't how well the bow you shoot shoots, it's how well you shoot the bow you shoot."

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2009, 08:25:00 PM »
Like Dick, I'm an old sailor!

I know, a lot of good that does ya!   :biglaugh:    :biglaugh:
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2009, 09:23:00 PM »
Well, it's kinda' like a collision at sea; except there are no boats, no ocean, no sharks, no swimming or no drowning.  Other than that they are quite similar 8^).  I would just order "two" new strings and get them both shot-in.

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2009, 12:20:00 AM »
I would also get a couple new strings. I lost a bow limb years back on a Hoyt recurve because I just trwisted it up and kept shooting. The string broke through at the loop. I have seen another string break in 2 where the splices are twisted. Both strings were B50 and flemish twist.

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2009, 08:16:00 AM »
I see lots of posts on here about guys needing strings, having string problems, etc. I grew up without a lot of resources and started making my own strings and arrows when I was about 12. I think many of you would be surprised at how easy it is to make a string and in the end it is a real money saver. Same thing with arrows. Not only are they money savers but making strings and arrows for the local trad shooters pays other dividends and eases the cost of hunting trips, etc.....Just a thought I  had as a reaction to this thread.Hope all goes well for you...Yes, the season is just around the corner,
The best things in life....aren't things!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©