3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: String making problems  (Read 556 times)

Offline Butts

• Trad Bowhunter
String making problems
« on: April 01, 2007, 06:38:00 PM »
What am I doing wrong? I made a flemish string jig from the plans on the "How To" forum. The dimensions are correct. The problem I am having is that the finished string length is usually 4 inches shorter than it should be. If I need a 66" string I use the peg that is marked 66, but when I am done it is only 62" long. Am I twisting the loops too tight? Should I relabel the pegs so they corespond?
Thanks, Chris
As you swim the river of life, do the breast stroke. It helps clear the turds from your path.  George Carlin

Offline KodiakBob

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: String making problems
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2007, 06:42:00 PM »
Sounds like the pegs are set at the bow's AMO length. Therefore to get a 66" string use your bows AMO length 70".

Offline bgram

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2007, 06:58:00 PM »
No Chris, it sounds like it's right to me.  For recurves you use a stirng that is generally 4" shorter than the AMO length, for longbows you'd want 3" shorter.  So, if you're bow is a recurve at 66" AMO, then a string you made is 62", that sounds right to me.  It'll still stretch some more, pulling tight, so you'll have to put some more twists in it, but it sounds right to me.

Offline bgram

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2007, 07:00:00 PM »
Sorry about that, I just reread your post Chris, the pegs are probably marked for AMO length like KodiakBob said.

Offline Aeronut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2007, 09:01:00 PM »
Yours is set like mine Chris.  Measure your bow nock to nock or use the AMO length marked on the bow and set your peg on that number.  Don't subtract anything.

For example, if your bow is marked 58" or your nock to nock measurement is 58" set the peg at the 58" mark and make your string.  It should wind up around 54"-55" long.  That's the way mine is set.

Dennis

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©