3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: long or short bow  (Read 1023 times)

Offline huntman

• Trad Bowhunter
long or short bow
« on: September 03, 2009, 02:43:00 PM »
Just wanted to know if a 62"bow would be more forgiving/smoother draw than say a 58". Im 5'10" & do alot of tree stand hunting so would prefer a shorter than longer bow but did not want to give up nothing. Thanks for any info on pros/cons on short vs. long.

Offline spike buck

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: long or short bow
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2009, 02:56:00 PM »
I'm no expert and only have been shooting since this spring but I have noticed a huge difference between 58" and 62" longbows. The 58 stacked at full draw (I draw 28") The 62 drew nice and smooth all the way back. First year with traditional gear so can't comment on the tree stand thing...yet.

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2009, 02:58:00 PM »
Longer bows are more smoother to draw and more forgiving in my opinion. This is why I chose a 66" recurve and a 68" hybrid longbow for my 30" draw length.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2009, 03:02:00 PM »
A lot depends on bow design.  I prefer shorter bows for blind and tree stand hunting.  I have a 52" Shrew Classic Hunter that is just as smooth to me as my longer bows and I draw just a shade under 28".  Shorter bows are nicer for confined areas because there is less limb sticking out to worry about.  Some guys have issues shooting short bows.  They seem to be a little less stable than a longer bow.  Most of it today boils down to personal preference and what you want out of your bow.
Dreams can not be bought; they are free to those who have lived. -Mike Mitten

We must go beyond the textbooks, go out into the untrodden depths of the wilderness & travel & explore & tell the world the glories of our journey

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2009, 03:02:00 PM »
I have bows from 56" to 68" being used with my 32"+ draw.  Quite a bit of difference in terms of stability and forgiving in longer bows.  Short ones do have their advantages too.... You should use what you shoot well. That is what really matters.
"A sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine"
>>---TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow--->
Member: Double-T Archery Club, Amherst, NY
St. Judes - $100k for 2010 - WE DID IT!!!!

Offline huntman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2009, 03:25:00 PM »
Bob Morrison is just about done with my cheyeene b-riser & trying to decide what limbs, leening toward the b-limbs which would make it a 58".

Offline lablover

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2009, 03:41:00 PM »
I have shoot alot of bows and untill latley they were mostly in the 62" range. Since March of this year I have shot nothing but short 56". I pull 28" and my wild horse creek is smooth all the way, my hunting buddy shoots 30" and he has no problem with it. As for forgiving, if your form is correct they are all forgiving. I agree with bobW shoot what works for you.
Bowhunting is a passion, not an obsession. Its just hard for my wife to tell the difference sometimes.

Offline Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2009, 03:49:00 PM »
I have a 58" Cheyenne (A riser, C limbs) that works very, very well at my 29" draw.  I've come to think that 58" recurves are the perfect center ground for me between stability and convenience.

If you have any doubts, C limbs would make a 60" bow for you, and split your choice down the middle.

I'd suggest just running your desires past Bob, and getting his opinion.  When I got my bow, I was wanting a 56" combo for hunting from blinds and treestands.  Bob thought I would not be happy at my 29" draw, but suggested I try a set to decide for myself.  For the cost of postage, he sent a set of in-stock limbs, but he was DEAD on in his assumption.  The extra 2" made all the difference in the world to me for shootability and finger pinch.  Bob was right, and I love my bow.

I have a 62" Palmer that I really like, but my Cheyenne is fast, accurate, and versatile to me.
It has become my go-to bow, and I really appreciate the 58" length.

Your mileage may vary!  :archer:  Best wishes in your decision...

Daryl
Daryl Harding
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."  Jim Elliot

Traditional bowhunting is often a game of seconds... and inches!

Offline OS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2009, 03:55:00 PM »
I like short bows especialy when I started hunting from pop up blinds.  But I must say that my longer bows 62" and up are more consistant for me at longer shots 25 - 35 yards.  I have recurves at 52" up to 70" longbows.  I usualy hunt with 62" - 64" longbows and 60" recurves. (middle of the road) Just take the time to trim your set up to the bow in your hand!
It's not the size of the game you take that means Success!
It's the experience of pursuing game that give true Outdoor Success!!!!!

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2009, 03:56:00 PM »
I"ve shot short and long from tree stands, blinds, etc. I have a 27 and 3/4" to 28" draw. I much prefer the longer bows. 62" recurve and 64" to 68" longbows. With that said, if I am hunting in a Double Bull type blind, I will shoot 60" to 62" longbows or recurves. I find this type blind to be much more confining and I own a recurve model. I believe the longer bow provides greater stability and less stack at my draw length. I flat shoot the longer bows better, but it is definitely a personal thing.    :thumbsup:

Offline Dave Coalter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2009, 05:32:00 PM »
I went from a 64" to a 62" and now have a 58". My next longbow will even be shorter.
Inside every old man there is a young man asking what the heck happened.

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2009, 06:49:00 PM »
A 56" Jack Kempf Kwyk Styk with Static limbs will pull smooth to 30". Ideal for both ground and tree stand hunting.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2009, 07:52:00 PM »
I own bows from 54" to 66". For hunting, I prefer the shorter bows. I don't see much difference in "smoothness".

Offline huntman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2009, 07:53:00 PM »
I think a 58" will work well for me at 28" draw & @ 53#s.I think that will be in the middle of what im looking for.

Offline ka

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2009, 08:59:00 PM »
Depends on the bow. I have had 58" bows that started stacking at 28 1/2" and others that would go to 30". See what the bow manufactuer recommends for his bow. All in all i prefer and see i lose nothing in 58" bows over 60-62". And i have some of each to compare with!! Luck to ya!

Offline huntman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2009, 09:22:00 PM »
Thanks for all the info.

Offline luvnlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2009, 10:09:00 PM »
If I am not mistaken what it all boils down to is the design of the bow. As already stated there is a bunch of bows out there that shoot smooth and are relitively short. Try some short bows (if you can) and see what works for you.

Offline Mechslasher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2009, 10:16:00 PM »
don't know so much about design as shooter consistency.  any lenght bow will shoot just fine so long as your release/follow through is the same each time.
"There is beauty and magic in a drawn bow."

Cade (SC)

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2009, 11:04:00 PM »
A lot is in the design.  This year I have shot from 54" to 66" and owned 56, 58, 3-60’s, 62, and 66".  I have a 56" I can't tell it is not over 60" by the way it shoots.  It is the most accurate and consistent bow I have had.  I had a 60" that felt short and not as stable.  I must say the 66" was real smooth, but I have the same bow in a 62" and really can't tell that much difference.  I even shoot the 62” better, but have to give the nod to the 66” for just a touch smoother feel.  The same bow design with just the limbs being different I would think the longer would always be a little more stable and smoother.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline BowHuntingFool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2009, 11:37:00 PM »
I went from a 64", added 58", sold the 58", then added another 64" and now adding a 66". I shoot a longer bow much better than the short bow I tried. I also just like the looks and feel of a longer longbow! I've never had problems in tight quarters with a 64" longbow in a hunting situation! I guess ya just gotta try and see what works for ya!
>>>---Joe Bzura---->

Big River Longbow 66" 52# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 66" 47# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 62" 52# @ 28"
Big River Recurve 60" 48# @ 28"
NewWood Longbow 58" 45# @ 28"

Wisconsin Traditional Archers
      Ojibwa Bowhunters

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©