3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: somebody got lucky this weekend, I'm just sayin'  (Read 907 times)

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: somebody got lucky this weekend, I'm just sayin'
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2009, 10:02:00 PM »
Really enjoyed huntin' with ya, Rob! Hope to see you again soon.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline SKYLER W

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2009, 10:27:00 PM »
I have a story and alot of pics, but I'm gonna wait on Chris.  :thumbsup:  
Skyler
TGMM Family of the Bow

Speak softly and carry a Big Stick; You will go far.

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2009, 10:39:00 PM »
how I dislike a model of restraint.   ;)

Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Larry Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2009, 10:41:00 PM »
All I can say is this past weekend I had a great time.  Nicest bunch of TGers to share a camp with -- Don and Skyler Wilson, Rob Peel (Robtattoo), Jed Riddell (Graybeard), my son and a great camp host -- Ray Hammond.  Saw lots of hogs, had one good opportunity, but the doe that snuck up behind me before I could take my shot, let the entire woods know she didn't appreciate my being there.  Ray's cooking was the best ever.  Just a few pics I took around camp.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2009, 08:32:00 PM »
Hey, now that's a cool lookin' huntin' camp.. I'd love to hunt that place.

Oh, yeah...I DO hunt THAT PLACE!!!!  :bigsmyl:
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline pronghorn23

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2009, 08:48:00 PM »
Ray is that the same one I had the stalk on at the feeder last October?..Looks like the same field except looking the other way.

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2009, 10:33:00 PM »
It's the same field, I think...Prong..but a different hog I believe.

Wait for the story from Chris.. It's quite a tale about a big red hog you don't see..a lot of squealing and gnashing of teeth.

Offline madness522

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2009, 06:31:00 AM »
Oh Chris we're waiting!  I have a fresh cup of coffee and want to hear a morning time story!!!
Barry Clodfelter
TGMM Family of the Bow.

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2009, 08:45:00 PM »
Well I am back online and finished unpacking for the night.

The story actually being from the first night. I spent the day stalking through some overgrown pines and oak flats. Lots of sign but nothing really fresh so I wondered over to a couple fields Ray told me about.

Did not see much in the way of hog sign but did make an incredible stalk on a blind Diller:)

Also seen some of the biggest Nanner spiders I have ever seen. Walk through a couple webs and did a great get the spider off me dance. Glad there was no camera or people to witness it.

After wrestling with the spiders I had about 45 minutes left to hunt so I headed to the 11 acre field. I built me a little ground blind and got set for the action. Well just before last night I heard the unmistakable woof of a hog right behind me. Well that ended the first evenings hunt and the beginning of the last mornings adventure.

After telling everyone what happened Ray said all the action on the camera was in the morning so right after lunch on day two Ray, Don, dad, and myself went to hang a stand on the 11 acre field.

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2009, 08:55:00 PM »
Ray tells me that the hogs are showing up between 0530 and 0900. So after a couple cups of coffee and breakfast I head out to the stand. Remembering what said I waited until I could see the far end of the field encase the hogs were already out. No hogs were seen so I continued to stalk to the stand. A quick climb and I was all set for the morning sit. As if on cue the first hog starts into the field around 0745. I noticed it was the same boar from the night prior and boy was he skittish.

After what seemed like an hour he made it out into the field. It was only a couple seconds and no shot opportunity arose. Then all of sudden I heard this moan. The boar shot off into the woods and meet up with this big red pig. Then all heck broke loose and they started running, grunting, and squealing. This went on behind me and then off to my right for over 15 minutes. Not sure what was going on but I sure did not want to disturb them. Then some deer started blowing from over in the direction of my Jeep. It was along way off and have no idea what got them going but this went for around 5 minutes or so. Next the wind shifted and started blowing into the bedding area so I climbed down and call it quits on hunting the stand.

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2009, 09:03:00 PM »
I headed back to my Jeep for a drink and put a plan together for the last couple hours of the hunt. I walked the intersection I was parked near and notice some deer feeding by the ditch so I grabbed my camera and waiting for a picture opportunity. While waiting for the deer to get closer I noticed a black dot appear in the road and then run back into the brush. Next thing I know a sounder of 7 pigs are in the ditch feeding and the stalk was on.

As I neared the sounder and noticed most of the pigs I could see were in the 35 to 40 pound range. Good BBQ hogs but I was wanting something a little bigger and that is when the two 70 or so sows showed them selves.

At about 50 yards out the sounder split the road and were in the ditches on either side of the road. It was really touch and go as the little porkers kept switching ditches. Finally I was inside the 18 yard mark but could not see the sows. As I inched forward the little rooters kept crossing back and forth in front of me. Inch by inch I closed the distanced but still could not see my target. I had the wind in my favor and everything was going good until a boar walked out behind me and caught my wind. With a woof he was off running down the road and the sounder was starting to clear the ditches.

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2009, 09:09:00 PM »
Then this little sow made the mistake of running up the ditch towards me.

At about 3 feet I seen the vitals and let her have it.

I walked up the ditch and she tried to make way out but the Simmons broadhead had done it job. She was dead but just did not realize it.

After I marked where she was in the ditch I headed back to get my Jeep. After some pictures I loaded her up and meet Ray and Jed on the trail.

After some story tellin' and more pictures it was off the cleaning shed where Skyler's St. Jude knife Cutter went to work.

Offline kasey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2009, 09:13:00 PM »
great guys

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2009, 09:14:00 PM »
Once the rooter was cut up and in the cooler it was back to the trailer to get ready to leave.

Once again I did not take as many pictures as I should have but DW and Skyler should be along shortly to make up for it.

All I can say is the time went by too quickly. It was such a please to be in camp with Jed (Graybeard), Rob (Robtattoo), DW, Skyler, my dad, and Ray. I am really looking forward the next with y'all.

Well that is about it from me as there is no way anyone is getting me to tell the story about the hog that came out of the ditch at night:)

Offline Boone the Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2009, 09:38:00 PM »
sweet, nice one
Love the Lord, love your wife and kids, work hard, hunt harder

Offline SKYLER W

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2009, 10:18:00 PM »
Great story Chris! Glad I was there to hear it firsthand. After waking up at 2:30 on Friday morning to head to SC and a 6 hour drive, we arrived at our meeting spot. After meeting everyone and getting hunting licenses, we headed to the hunting camp. We got settled in and shot for a while. Everyone went on a stump shooting trip, and we were all having a great time until Dad stepped in a nest of fireants,........over 100 bites. It wasn't pretty. That evening, Dad and I were going to be hunting in two lock on stands over a feeder on the creek. After sitting for a while, we saw a deer looking around through the woods. She seemed pretty skittish of the feeder. About 25 or 30 minutes before dark, I sttod up and Dad says "Don't move. There are three hogs behind you". When they started feeding, I slowly turned and got ready for a shot. After what seemed like forever, one finally turned broadside for a shot. I pulled back and released. The arrow is going...going...and just barely cuts the skin on the hogs back. So close. It got dark and we climbed down and headed back to see if anyone else had any luck. After hearing a few sad storys, we ate supper. The next morning, Dad and I were stalking down a road. We never saw any hogs but did see a lot of sign and some HUGE cypress trees. That evening, i would be sitting in a stand on the first feeder on the same road as the morning before. Dad would be going to the next feeder, hunting in a pop up blind. It was still pretty early, and I was taking a picture with my cell phone camera, when i see movement out of the corner of my eye. I look towards the road and see a hundred pound or so hog walking towards the feeder. I slipped my camera in my bag and slowly stood up for a shot. I picked a spot, drew, and released and.....the arrow hits it about halfway up from the leg. Blood shoots out the hole, and the hog hits the ground and flops around for a second then hops up and runs off, my arrow still sticking out of it. I called Dad on the radio and told him what had happened. After a few minutes, he arrived and I pointed to where the hog was standing. There was not a lot of blood, but there was some. We trailed it for about 100 yards, then marked it and went to Dad's blind before dark. On the way there, an armadillo was unlucky enough to be standing on the side of the road. HE got skewered by a Wensel Woodsman. We went to the blind and sat until dark. No hogs. Back at the camp, we ate supper and listened to everyone elses' story's. After eating, we went back to see if we could find he hog that I shot. After seeing that there wasn"t a great lot of blood, Ray said it would be best if we waited until morning. We got up the next morning and stalked down a different road. After no hogs but still loads of sign, we headed for the truck. On the way back, we decided to stop by another feeder. Dad set it off and we waited a few minutes. No hogs. Dad was taking some pics when I turn around and see Rob walking toward us. He hadn't had any better luck. We went back to the truck to meet Larry. He hadn't seen anything either. When we arrived back at camp, no one was there so we just waited for Ray. He came back and said that he had looked for my hog, but couldn't find it. I KNOW that I made a good shot on the Hog and couldn't understand why we couldn't find him. Maybe made it to the River? I hate that it turned out the way that it did. We asked about Chris and Jed and it turned out that they were a the skinning shed with Cutter and Chris's hog. Great job Chris! After lunch and some photos, we said our goodbyes and started the long trip home. I had a great time and can't wait to go back! Thanks guys,
Skyler
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline SKYLER W

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2009, 10:23:00 PM »
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline SKYLER W

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2009, 10:27:00 PM »
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline SKYLER W

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2009, 10:30:00 PM »
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline SKYLER W

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2009, 10:40:00 PM »
ATTENTION ALL FUTURE HOG HEAVEN HUNTERS!!!!!!!!!..........Dad and I accidentaly stumbled upon the secret to Hog Heaven........We found this at the very upper edge of the Swamp...after a lot of thinking about it we have come to the conclusion that after Ray gets everyone in the woods he secretly flips this switch which causes animals to move all over the swamp! Don't know what else it could be....So be nice to Ray and ask him if you can hunt around the "Switch"...  ;)  
TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©