3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: vanes off the shelf?  (Read 341 times)

Offline bigbuckmalik

• Trad Bowhunter
vanes off the shelf?
« on: September 07, 2009, 11:11:00 AM »
Does anyone shoot vanes off the shelf. I was curious because i was thinkin if my feathers got wet and matted down, would it be possible to keep an arrow fletched with vanes in my quiver and it fly good enough to shoot at deer with. Just a thought, but i'd like to hear some ideas everyone has. My arrows are tuned great bareshaft so would the rain spray off the feathers soon enough for good flight with the wet feather?

Offline ranger 3

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: vanes off the shelf?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2009, 11:15:00 AM »
I have a friend that shoots a Treadway. He shoots noththing but vanes off of it and they fly great.
Black widow PLX 48@28
Black widow PSRX 48@28

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2009, 11:16:00 AM »
Unless you hunt in a pouring rain, silicone spray will keep your feathers in good shape.  I hear of folks getting decent arrow flight off the shelf with vanes, but I would personally like to see it while standing behind them.  If you can get the vanes to clear, you should be okay.

Offline SCATTERSHOT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2009, 11:18:00 AM »
There was an experiment on here a few years ago, where a guy got good flight by raising his nocking point to an absurdly high point.

According to O.L. Adcock, matted feathers should not be a problem with a perfectly tuned setup.

Just reporting what I have read, never tried it myself.
"Experience is a series of non - fatal mistakes."

Offline Mike Mecredy

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2009, 11:39:00 AM »
It'll work, try moving you nock point up about 5/16" - 1/2" higher.
TGMM Family of the bow
USAF, Retired
A.C.B.C.S.

Offline bigbuckmalik

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2009, 11:46:00 AM »
Mike, the whole problem with that is i dont wanna shoot vanes on a regular basis. I just wondered if i could keep one in my quiver just in case. I will try the silicone spray, i used the powder before but i remember hunting in a misting sort of rain all day and eventually they matted down.

Offline Scott F

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2009, 11:57:00 AM »
My advice is to stick an elevated rest on your bow and then shoot vanes.  

Confidence plays a big role in hunting (for me at least).  If I only get a couple shots at game each season, I want to make sure that my arrow goes where I expect it to go, not hope that my one 'special weather' arrow will function properly.  I'm shooting blazer vanes this season but I'm also using a magnetic flipper rest and a plunger.  I hunt some seriously thick swamp land along the coast of NC so I like the durability and weather-proof aspects of vanes, ymmv.

Scott

Offline Coop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2009, 05:50:00 PM »
I have never had luck with vanes off the shelf. However off a stick-on elevated rest I can go back and forth between vanes and feathers no problem.
"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do"

-Mike

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2009, 06:38:00 PM »
And, no matter what folks tell you, an elevated rest won't interfere with so-called instinctive shooting.  I've used on on my recurves for five decades now.

Offline shedhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2009, 07:55:00 PM »
Yes,  they do fly good.  I shot with a guy today and he shot both 4 flech feathers and 3 fletch rain vanes from 3-rivers, out of a longbow they ALL flew awesome. very handy too.  I'd say don't listen to anybody and buy a 6 pk and try them for your self.  Just a note you may need too raise your nocking point a little.  Have fun,  ron

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2009, 08:42:00 AM »
Raising your nocking point can alter the tuning of your bow. The higher you go, the lower the spine that will tune. You are losing energy input to the arrow when you do it. You also introduce another force vector to the dynamic spine equation, and if you're not perfect in your form or release it has more effect. I wouldn't do it- do as George said, and use some spray on the fletching.

Hunting in the rain plays hell with blood trails... I don't do that either, unless there's just no choice.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline darb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2009, 09:54:00 AM »
One other option to consider is using some of the "waterproof fletching powder?"  I think Gateway makes what I currently use. one bottle will last you many seasons.

I have sat through some miserable downpours and the stuff worked great for 3-4 hours of steady rain.  About half way through the day I would switch with an arrow out of my cat quiver and be good for the rest of the day.

For me the powder didnt seem to "stiffen " the fletching as much as the spray I used did, but that may have been the kind of silicone I have used.
 just a thought - Brad

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©